Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Many UA Mileage Plus Members/Elites are There?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75

Anyone knows? I know there are approx. 2 million Star Alliance gold members worldwide, how many would be United 1k? Thousands?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:25 pm

They remain tight lipped about the numbers. One person asked about it during the UADo in November (at Chicago) during the Q&A session with MileagePlus but they said that information is confidential.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
too many.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by UAConcorde
Anyone knows? I know there are approx. 2 million Star Alliance gold members worldwide, how many would be United 1k? Thousands?
It's impossible to attempt to extrapolate the number of 1Ks based upon the number of *Gs, since 1K is not the only level to be awarded *G within MP. And who knows about the other member airlines.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I know there are approx. 2 million Star Alliance gold members worldwide
Based on what?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
how do you know this?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:31 pm

Quoting an FA on my recent fly,"Who is not 1K?"

Sadly, I am not however.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by ddrost1
too many.
There's at least one less decade-long 1K, as of February. I know, good riddance to me
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The 2M *G sounds high -- back in the PM days, there were regular questions on the number of elites -- there has never been an officail number released since 2005.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tes-there.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-rare-1ks.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-many-1ks.html
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wanymayold
Quoting an FA on my recent fly,"Who is not 1K?"
Ouch!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I think the term too many depends on your base airport. SFO is my home airport so there are a very large number. I have boarded at some airports and the number of Golds were very few. There are some cities that are Delta cities, or American cities, and so forth.

When UA flew mainline out of Oakland, sometimes the plane would be over half GS and 1K. And UA has since dropped all service from there. I
would guess that some changed carriers and others just added to the numbers at SFO.

From the last numbers I saw (pre-merger) less than 1/2 of 1% of the mileage members were GS plus 1K. And yet some folks don"t feel it is elite enough.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/bu...anted=all&_r=0

"While airlines do not disclose how many people are in each elite tier, Henry Harteveldt, a travel analyst at the consulting firm Hudson Crossing, said about 3 to 4 percent of a carrier’s frequent-flier members had elite status. Delta and United each have 90 million frequent fliers, and American has 69 million, which means anywhere from two million to four million elites a program (though the number may be higher). "
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I think the term too many depends on your base airport. SFO is my home airport so there are a very large number. I have boarded at some airports and the number of Golds were very few. There are some cities that are Delta cities, or American cities, and so forth...
Yup, See a lot more 1Ks on OGG-SFO than you do OGG-LAX.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yup, See a lot more 1Ks on OGG-SFO than you do OGG-LAX.
And on IAD-SFO, there can easily be 25-30 GS and 1K per flight.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
I always wonder what the real numbers are for GS, 1K, 1P, 2P.

this thread has numbers all over the place.

This week, was on UA 941 FRA-ORD. Prior to boarding, a management type came out from behind the curtain and started calling through the gate area for "Global Services" After about 3 minutes of this "mating call" behavior, 2 businessmen proceeded to the elite boarding carpet, where they waited "alone" for another 5 or 6 minutes. There was then Boarding announcement for zone 1 and they were the first to get thru the gate reader and onto the plane.

I was surprised, as I would have thought there would have been 10+ GS types on a route like that. Perhaps there is so much capacity on FRA-ORD and this is the 3rd flight of the day (1 prior UA & 1 LH) that most of the elites are already on their way back over the Atlantic.

Thoughts anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.