Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Coffee - Maybe the FA was right!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2001, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Flying Coffee - Maybe the FA was right!

A few weeks ago someone posted that they had be given a hard time by an FA about bringing coffee on board; the FA thought it was a safety concern. Naturally, as I would have done, the poster blew the FA off.

Well -- yesterday sitting in 4A while UA 1552 ORD-DAY loads. Traffic stops in the aisle. The guy standing even with my row has a large Starbucks in hand. The guy behind him in line (seated in 3C) swings his computer case up in the overhead, hits the elbow of the guy with the coffee and the cup flies all over a guy in 5C. Napkins and club soda all around! So, maybe the FA wasn't crazy - I suspect that similar things happen more often than we think.
Old Apr 6, 2001, 12:10 pm
BIM

Then there is the whole "burn" issue - Remember the McDonalds incident? They better hope that 5C isn't feeling litigious (sp?)...
Old Apr 6, 2001, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
I knew that comment would come back to haunt me! Well now I know what the flight attendant was talking about!

Just to make sure we are all clear, I was less concerned about the actual coffee, but more miffed about the fact that service is being cut every day, and when passengers try and compensate with their own own food etc, they are sometimes met with dissaproval from the flight attendants. If we can't make the flight more enjoyable for ourselves when UA has made cutbacks, it begins to seem a bit odd.

Guess I won't be bringing any hot bowls of soup or my BBQ on UA flights anytime soon!

SFOPremex
Old Apr 6, 2001, 1:48 pm

In all likelihood, if a lawsuit were ever to arise where a passenger sustained burns from another passenger's coffee(brought aboard beford takeoff by passenger), the judge would most likely rule in favor of the burned passenger.

In the chance that the judge does rule in favor of the airline, on the basis that it is not in the job description/responsibility of the stewardresses to examine the contents and/or temperature of a passengers "carry-on" beverage, the lawsuit would probably turn into a civil lawsuit; passenger v.s. passenger.

Could the "spiller", in turn, sue the company from where he bought his coffee?

What does a passenger do if the "spill" occurred on an international flight, from a passenger of another country? Extradite him/her for the trial?

Old Apr 6, 2001, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Peregrine - in the International case the infamous Warsaw Convention would apply limiting damages to $75K US!
Old Apr 6, 2001, 2:06 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
I don't think the original post was regarding the actions of a UA flight attendant.

In fact, last year we finally got clarification from the FAA on whether passengers can keep their lattes for takeoff and landing - the answer is yes!
Old Apr 6, 2001, 10:09 pm

basenji

Does that mean we can have any type of beverage during takeoff and landing.
Old Apr 6, 2001, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Hmmm. Why do the FAA's then collect the plastic glasses of juice/champagne in domestic F for take-off?

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Apr 6, 2001, 11:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Beverages we bring on board have lids. Beverages passed out pre-take-off don't.
Old Apr 7, 2001, 1:18 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Basically, if you bring it on board (water bottle, latte etc) you can keep it. Of course, the rules against self-serve alcoholic beverages also apply...

Anything served by the airline needs to be collected before takeoff. Anything served in glass/ceramic needs to be collected before pushback, thus the plasticware used in pre-departure. It wouldn't be practical to demand all pre-departure drinks be collected before pushback.
Old Apr 7, 2001, 10:17 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
BIM mentions the 'McDonalds incident.' There has been a lot of hype on this, mainly focussing on the initial jury award, which of course was subsequently reduced.

FWIW, this link on The Actual Facts About The Mcdonalds' Coffee Case was written more from the plaintiff's perspective, but interesting nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.