Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

San Francisco United Airlines First Class Lounge access policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco United Airlines First Class Lounge access policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:52 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kljkav2
I will be arriving from Asia to SFO and have a connection flight to JFK (p.s. F).
I arrive, clear immigration and customs, then go back to Terminal 3 for the p.s. Flight. How do I enter the IFL which is located in the International Concourse G?
Simply put, you don't. If you are able to get into the G concourse, you should just go to the SQ lounge since they are unlikely to let you into the IFL.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Definately refreshing to get a shower whenever one can on an international itinerary.
What's the IFL like? For those of us who arrive in the morning and can access the Arrivals lounge, is it worth the slog to the IFL?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by are8
You can pull it off at (occaisionly) some stations (lhr for me), but i have NEVER been able to at FRA RCC arrival. They are a tough crowd. Ok though because you can just go to the LH lounge, i just like the h2o kit they give you at the FRA arrival
Ditto. I got the heisman for the showers at the FRA RCC with an LH boarding pass (transiting from one paid C to another paid C international), though the attendants were polite and said I could use the rest of the RCC (as the rules require). Thankfully the LH business lounge has some nice showers, though not as many as the RCC.

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Go try to access an LH Sen lounge at FRA with an inbound SQ or UA F boarding pass. You will promptly be told where to shove the inbound BP and directed to the LH Biz lounge if you're continuing in LH C sans *G. Granted, once or twice I've been let into Sen lounges with my SQ F bps, but more often than not I (and many others I know who frequent the route) have been denied w/out presentation of a *G card.
Quite true. Am still wondering how the lounges differ, but no doubt that is covered elsewhere.

Originally Posted by work2fly
Discussion here is solely with respect to UA lounges.

SQ could also care less about anything other than a departing BP.
The discussion is still relevant as the LH lounges are an alternative option for many travelers, depending on destination. It is useful to have all of the information on one thread.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kremmen
What's the IFL like? For those of us who arrive in the morning and can access the Arrivals lounge, is it worth the slog to the IFL?
http://www.loungeguide.net/wiki/u/Sa...t_Class_Lounge
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Let me be more specific. There's been lots of talk on here about showers, yet the IFL wiki entry says " Showers and Spa: Yes. As part of Arrivals Lounge." That would seem to indicate that the IFL has no showers of its own, which would make it not so much an alternative to Arrivals, but rather somewhere to go afterwards.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Let me be more specific. There's been lots of talk on here about showers, yet the IFL wiki entry says " Showers and Spa: Yes. As part of Arrivals Lounge." That would seem to indicate that the IFL has no showers of its own, which would make it not so much an alternative to Arrivals, but rather somewhere to go afterwards.
The wiki is not correct, the showers are part of the IFL and the IFL is a departure lounge not a Arrivals lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
The IFL most certainly has showers, but there are only 2 of them (AFAIK), they are very dark, and they are a hassle to use if you've been lounging around for a while (you have to go back up to the reception desk). IMHO, the NRT RCC showers are better maintained and more easily accessible, plus have the added bonus of a toilet. I've never used SFO's IFL on an int'l-dom connection, but apparently SAN 1K's strategy works in getting through security for the International Terminal. If all you want is a shower, and have Arrivals access (per your earlier post), then I'd personally skip the IFL and do the Arrivals + Domestic RCC instead.

If you don't have Arrivals access (arriving in the afternoon), it may be worth trying for the IFL. On a related note, while the LAX IFL doesn't have the SFO location & matron issues or showers, I've never had a problem accessing it on int'l F > dom F/C/Y.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tennen
If all you want is a shower, and have Arrivals access (per your earlier post), then I'd personally skip the IFL and do the Arrivals + Domestic RCC instead.
Thanks. Sounds like Arrivals is the way to go first up. My next flight I'll have over 4 hours in SFO, so I might do Arrivals + IFL.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tennen
The IFL most certainly has showers, but there are only 2 of them (AFAIK), they are very dark, and they are a hassle to use if you've been lounging around for a while (you have to go back up to the reception desk). IMHO, the NRT RCC showers are better maintained and more easily accessible, plus have the added bonus of a toilet. I've never used SFO's IFL on an int'l-dom connection, but apparently SAN 1K's strategy works in getting through security for the International Terminal. If all you want is a shower, and have Arrivals access (per your earlier post), then I'd personally skip the IFL and do the Arrivals + Domestic RCC instead.

If you don't have Arrivals access (arriving in the afternoon), it may be worth trying for the IFL. On a related note, while the LAX IFL doesn't have the SFO location & matron issues or showers, I've never had a problem accessing it on int'l F > dom F/C/Y.
I didn't think the showers in the IFL were "dark" (what does that mean??) if you know you're going to want a shower and you've read this thread simply mention it to the folks at the desk upon entering, my last visit I handed my BP and said I wanted a shower and they walked me down to it.

If I had a domestic connection and was able to get into the Intl term and was able to convince the matrons to follow the proper rules I'd just go there and skip Arrivals. Though there's a lot of "and" in the above statement.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by ryan182
I didn't think the showers in the IFL were "dark" (what does that mean??) if you know you're going to want a shower and you've read this thread simply mention it to the folks at the desk upon entering, my last visit I handed my BP and said I wanted a shower and they walked me down to it.

If I had a domestic connection and was able to get into the Intl term and was able to convince the matrons to follow the proper rules I'd just go there and skip Arrivals. Though there's a lot of "and" in the above statement.
By "dark," I meant that they were, well, dark (poor lighting). Even though the shower suites were a decent size, they felt small and cramped because of the lighting. If I had limited time for my connection (and I usually do), I'd save myself a trip through security and just hit Arrivals and then the T3 RCC. That's just me, though, since I usually get caught up in long TSA lines. Although, with Kremmen's 4 hour connection, that would change things for me, and I might take the time and head to the IFL instead.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I've been in the two SFO IFL showers recently (not to shower, but just for a look-see). They appear nice. The lounge was nice as well.

By the way, where is the arrivals lounge at SFO? I've not yet had the opportunity to use it...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer

By the way, where is the arrivals lounge at SFO?
Yes, after arrival/customs, go out to your right there is a sign "Arrivals by United." Description in the UAL site.
It is not as nice as the SFO IFL, however. Food: cereals, cut fruits, mini-bagels (sort of the same w/RCC), no alcohol.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I am at IAD right now. I am departing IAD in Y on UA to JFK (one class of service aircraft), connecting on the same paid ticket to first class on Swiss Air from JFK to Zurich.

Lounge Warden in the international first lounge absolutely refused me entry because I was "not departing IAD in international F on United or Lufthansa." I argued with her for ten minutes (her supervisor is "off" today--I asked) with no change in her position.

They wouldn't let me in the Red Carpet Club either based on my LX F boarding pass because it was not the international gateway. I had to show one of my non-UA Star Gold cards to get in.

If this were the case, why would there be reciprocal access to F Lounges? If you could only enter at the international gateway, you would just use the lounge for the carrier you were flying.

So with this mentality, if you don't have status in the Star Alliance but are flying another Star carrier other than UA (and LH), you can be a paid premium passenger, but you will receive no lounge access from United on a connecting flight. You havet to wait until you are at the international gateway.

I told the Matron in the F Lounge that this is exactly why I am flying LX to ZRH and not UA.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Nov 28, 2008 at 1:10 pm
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The arrivals lounge is in the RCC, not the international first lounge. You need a first class ticket to get into the international first lounge, even if you're 1k or GS. That is why there usually are about only 5-8 people in the entire lounge at any given time. There are two showers which are by the bathroom. I did not walk in them, but they are quite private. I have a picture of the bathroom sinks, and you can see the pictures of hte food & the lounge itself that I took on my recent trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32828385@N02/

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I've been in the two SFO IFL showers recently (not to shower, but just for a look-see). They appear nice. The lounge was nice as well.

By the way, where is the arrivals lounge at SFO? I've not yet had the opportunity to use it...
It's part of the RCC.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 29, 2008 at 6:15 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by Axey
This post is entirely correct and anything else is crazy talk. People here keep confusing the *A F/C lounge access rules and the *G lounge access rules. They are different.

From Star Alliance:

That's it. You don't need to be in F on your departing flight, you merely need a same day F BP.
Does this mean that "*A lounges are departing lounges only for most airlines" is not true when it comes to First Class lounges? For example I always thought that SQ lounge access was based on departing flight ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.