Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:48 am

from my experience , i never get a special meal, based on the profile
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe your united.com profile will add a special request in your field when you book on united.com - so if you have any active/already booked reservations, you will need to call United to request the special meal.

Similarly, if you booked via another booking source, you will need to do the same. The profile is not intended to carry over to all booking sources, IIRC.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If you want to ensure you get your special, you'll need to call. The few times I've left it to my profile choice, the special meal wasn't loaded. I book 100% on ual.com.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
leaving it your profile is like writing your request on a post-it, then placing the post-it on a stray cat and hoping the cat wonders by UA catering.

even with calling you'll probably have a (albeit smaller) change of not getting the meal. I would call now, then call again 24 hours before flight, then ask at checkin.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My wife's profile has always triggered the special meal.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
If you want to ensure you get your special, you'll need to call. The few times I've left it to my profile choice, the special meal wasn't loaded. I book 100% on ual.com.
I'm not sure if that's due to the meal just not being loaded or rather united.com not sending the profile meal code through to your PNR. I doubt it's the latter, but I can't be sure.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by ryan182
leaving it your profile is like writing your request on a post-it, then placing the post-it on a stray cat and hoping the cat wonders by UA catering.
I assume that's the way to request the "Cat Meal"
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you want to be sure you get it, call 24 hours in advance. Then hope there are no irregular opps. My past experience with special meals in the profile meant I'd get them less than half the time.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
the only thing that is guaranteed to come over from your profile is your credit card to pay for the tix

always call to request any special meal & call 24 hours before to confirm that it is still in the reservation (and keep a copy of your recpt & itinerary as it will show on there [down towards the bottom under "meal request"])
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I've had no problems getting special meals through the choice in my profile.

However, it sounds in the case of the OP that the profile request was changed after the ticket purchase. In that case, the profile request will not be reflected on the ticket and OP should phone in the request.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Thanks all, I'll call on the way home and see if the CSR can note it in all my current iteneraries and I'll call on Friday to request it for my flight saturday.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
There are more meal options than are shown on the website. Mrs. Redbeard is able to get gluten-free.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by redbeard911
There are more meal options than are shown on the website. Mrs. Redbeard is able to get gluten-free.
Couple of times I haven't even requested it and I've received the "food-free" meal.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Thanks all, I'll call on the way home and see if the CSR can note it in all my current iteneraries and I'll call on Friday to request it for my flight saturday.
You need to call at least 24 hours before your flight to have your special meal boarded. I was rebooked recently (I was in F with a special on order)and the phone agent was blocked from entering a special request in her system. This was about 22 hours before departure.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked a flight IAD-LHR and had forgotten I had the Low Fat meal in my profile. I was pleasantly surprised to get it on the flight - both outbound and return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.