Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 1K Status - Rookie Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:42 am
Original Poster

United 1K Status - Rookie Questions

I have a few basic questions, but I'm a newbie to Frequent Flyer status and can't seem to find these answers. I travelled a lot over three months from March - May and just made United 1K status. When I made gold status my card said I didn't expire until Jan 2010, but my 1K expires in Feb 2009.

1. How does the expiration process work for united status - i.e. how many miles do I need to get to extend the status and by when?

2. When/If the 1K does expire, is the gold still active until Jan 2010?

3. My EQM is actually only 71K, but my total redeemable miles is 105K. I thought only EQM, EQS applied to status. I'm not complaining, just trying to understand.

Sorry for the basic questions, but I would appreciate any help anyone can give.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Welcome to FT conner.

When did you achieve 1K status? Did you participate in DEQM? Do you only fly high fares, business or first? Your status is good until 2010. You will get a welcoming package in a few weeks.

You extend the status to 2011 by flying 100K EQMs in 2010.

This should be merged with this thread. Unexplained Upgrade to 1K
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
When you qualify for 1K, you get the rest of that year (in your case until Feb 2009) plus the following year. So when they get around to printing the new cards, you will get one that shows a Feb, 2010 expiration.

The qualification is based on EQM (or EQS) as you indicate. I think the only way you would be 1K with 71K EQM is if there is some Double EQM thing going on.

Enjoy it while it is here - one of the biggest benefits of 1K is the System-Wide Upgrades (SWUs) - good for one-class upgrades on flights worldwide.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I achieved the 71 EQM by basically flying 3 business class trips from US to Shanghai. I didn't participate in any DEQM's that I know of, but it's possible they were part of the package.

Gary - you mentioned the SWU's that you get for 1K. Interestingly enough, I got the package with the card and all and I got 2 confirmed regional upgrades, no system wide?

I should be doing some more travel here with my job, so hopefully I can keep the status going.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will get the SWUs next year barring early deposit. You are eligible for CR1s for every quarter during which you are a 1K.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Welcome to FT conner!! Check out this thread for a potential reason why you might have been granted 1k. In any event ENJOY it, I can't tell you how many times over that past year 1k status has saved my bacon or helped me get on earlier fights, upgrades or change my routings when I shouldn't have.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842001
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
Hi Conner - welcome to FT

Two threads that you might find helpful for general info:

Consolidated Thread for New Premier Executive 1K Members [Merged]

and

Unadvertised UA 1k benefits
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
You will get the SWUs next year barring early deposit. You are eligible for CR1s for every quarter during which you are a 1K.
IF you fly 10K on UA metal.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
IF you fly 10K on UA metal.
Thanks, I forgot to put that condition in, but at that time you have passed eligible.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:22 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
conner, welcome to FT! I believe that the answer is in the thread cited in post#6: you achieved a sometimes-awarded "fast-track" to 1K with the hope/expectation, that soon you would have earned it the regular way, anyhow. For that reason, your "fast-track" grant of 1K is good until early 2009; but when you cross the mark of 100,000 EQMs (or 100 EQS) within this same calendar year, you'll have 1K to the end of Jan 2010.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 6, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.