Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very rude SFO RCC agent re: mileage runs

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by TechBoy
The impact to other people has already happened.
If you want to be really cynical (and who doesn't?), one should also consider that mileage runs (and even just extra, unnecessary connections) "artificially" inflate loads on those segments, perhaps preventing cutbacks in capacity and thereby preventing fuel savings and/or more efficient redistribution of equipment, lthus preventing a potential reduction in emissions... and drowning a polar bear cub.

In practicality, MRs and/or unnecessary connections probably account for a tiny fraction of a percent of total miles flown and therefore have negligible effect on the above... but in theory, fewer MRs could mean lower loads -> capacity reductions and/or fewer VDBs/IDBs -> less fuel used and/or more efficient use of equipment and/or fewer "unnecessary" vouchers given out -> lower operating costs and/or lower emissions -> healthier company and/or healthier planet.

In theory, anyway.

Originally Posted by jd2000
I remember thinking at the time that the day I don't get home on time because I got DB'd by some laughing mileage runners (...) will be a dark day on FT.
Ooo, good point. Upgrades are another issue, though obviously less important than standby. Because most MR'ers are high-status and therefore at the top of the standby list and upgrade waitlist, some "regular" (dare I say, "legitimate?" ) passengers waiting for standby space or upgrades could be displaced. By maximizing the number of connections, an MR'er also increases the likelihood of encountering irrops and therefore does increase the likelihood of potentially displacing a "regular" ("legitimate? ) passenger.

These probabilities may be small, but they are not zero. Don't get me wrong, I don't really have anything against mileage-running (though I don't, and probably would not, do it myself), but the above should be considered, methinks.

Originally Posted by trooper
Less fuel use and emissions? How so? The flight is STILL going to go.....whether or not the (miniscule % of) pax actually doing an MR are onboard or not...
In practice, most likely. In theory, not necessarily. However, don't forget that more weight = more fuel required/burned, so even if the flight flies as usual, cutting weight (by cutting passengers) means lower fuel consumption. Moreover, on weight-limited flights, fewer passengers means more cargo, which would otherwise have to be shipped out on other flights. Even if the flight flies as usual, the ability to use that extra weight for something else (e.g. cargo) could indirectly lead to (some) fuel/emissions savings later.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I know exactly who OP is referring to. He also works the First/GS checkin desks and really is a major piece of work.

I was once checking in a bag for a flight and mid-way through the process another passenger interrupted us with a few questions. About 4 minutes later, when this agent eventually got rid of the other passenger (not very politely I might add) he resumes checking me in, looks at his screen then with a serious face looks up at me and says "You missed the baggage check-in deadline by 1 minute. We are now at 44 minutes before departure". You will have to sign this waiver which relieves United of any responsibility regarding your bag if it doesn't make it on to the flight. He also told me he would not be able to tag my bag as priority because I missed the deadline. I laughed at him and said "it'll make it on the flight, no matter how you tag it or don't tag it". I think his glasses began to steam up and his Bart Simpson style haircut stuck up even more when I said that.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by trooper
Less fuel use and emissions? How so? The flight is STILL going to go.....whether or not the (miniscule % of) pax actually doing an MR are onboard or not...
Not much, but it adds up.

That said, you'll probably use more fuel and create more emissions doing whatever else you'd be doing that day, so I'll withdraw that one.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
No; a MR is no different from any other booked itinerary under UA's rules. Would you be willing to accept the "danger" of an agent refusing to help if you had a business meeting you had to get to, but which irrops had messed up--when there was a solution readily apparent if only the agent would take it?
And you've hit the nail on the head. I'm not a huge fan of mileage runs because, within UA's system, it creates 1Ks whose yearly spend is 1/3 of mine. However, I've had exactly this happen at SFO and DEN -- irrops due to "crew scheduling" (and we all know what that means), when I've had business meetings. Particularly, I fly between SFO and LAX a lot and, even when it's a re-book 3 hours later, it can mean the difference between getting a full-night's sleep and only a few hours for my next meeting. This is what I find so completely frustrating (and doubly so as a mere 1P) -- I pay a premium to fly UA because it is supposed to be business-travelers friendly but, in truth, there are some stations (SFO and DEN come to mind) that treat everyone as if they was Southwest-flying Gomers.

Lucky, I hope you use your "magic powers" to bring this agent's attitude to the attention of the appropriate people. That an agent would dare talk to any customer in that fashion is absolutely inexcusable.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I think his glasses began to steam up and his Bart Simpson style haircut stuck up even more when I said that.
LMAO, that's him!!! Now I know I have to report this moron.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:23 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Some years ago, in Hemispheres or its predecessor mag., UA featured a retired flyer who did MRs to ensure his status requalif. I've regularly encountered UA agents over the years who offered to shorten my itinerary on account of irrops or just to make it more convenient for this 1K. Every time, that I mentioned my need for that extra segment to ensure 1K requalif., I was accommodated without hesitation -- or a lecture.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
LMAO, that's him!!! Now I know I have to report this moron.
He probably has a Personnel file that's yea thick so I'm sure his manager would really appreciate any help you can offer in getting rid of this clown. However, I would urge you to do it as soon as possible.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I cannot comment on MRs because I have never done one to qualify desired status.

I do have a comment about the unfriendly RCC agent in the OP. If UA does not like MR, then do something about it instead having a frontline employee making rude comments to a customer. The only party to blame is the airlines themselves by creating the system and fail to make changes based on changes in market condition.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by PTravel
And you've hit the nail on the head. I'm not a huge fan of mileage runs because, within UA's system, it creates 1Ks whose yearly spend is 1/3 of mine.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The only party to blame is the airlines themselves by creating the system and fail to make changes based on changes in market condition.
Bingo. The airlines create a system the rewards miles / segments, not spend. Reward spend, and MRs go away.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Here is my experience reporting an agent who was rude at DFW some time ago. It's a long (and quite boring) description so here is the Cliffs note version...

During Check-in I ticked off a UA agent and she refuses to deal w/ me. OK, lot's of women refuse to have anything to do with me but this was different!
Another agent steps in and helps me. I report incident to a CSD. CSD and Manager both take statements from me over tea and stale bagels. Employee is fired the same day.

The complete version...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...435&highlight=
Old May 24, 2008, 11:24 pm

I know exactly who OP is referring to. He also works the First/GS checkin desks and really is a major piece of work.
He probably has a Personnel file that's yea thick so I'm sure his manager would really appreciate any help you can offer in getting rid of this clown. However, I would urge you to do it as soon as possible.
Why in the world would someone with this attitude by on the GS desk?

Old May 24, 2008, 11:28 pm

Lucky, you have to report this tool, you'll be doing all of us a favor. He needs to be fired. Today.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
I think his glasses began to steam up and his Bart Simpson style haircut stuck up even more when I said that.
With that description I also know who you're talking about now. He's rude even if you're not on a MR. I think he sees himself as the champion/enforcer of the "rules" -- whether they're actually rules or not. He has scolded me before when I came back early on an international flight when there were no IRROPS and I didn't pay the change fee. He tried to tell me he wouldn't change me to an earlier domestic connection because I shouldn't have been been allowed to arrive SFO early anyway. I said the international segement was not the issue at that point, the domestic one was and I was allowed to confirm that fee-free as a 1K same-day change. In his case anyway, I don't think it's just MRs that get him agitated.

I was also in the SFO RCC today (arrived from NRT). I luckily didn't see him though before I left for DEN. I make it a point to avoid him when I do see him. I will be doubly sure to avoid him in the future, especially if on a MR.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by #10
Why in the world would someone with this attitude by on the GS desk?

I imagine he is nothing more than a very intelligent bully. He knows when to be nice and when he can get away with being a jerk. For the most part probably messes with the right people (those who are not in a position to do much or who he knows won't say anything). There's probably thousands upon thousands of Asia based infrequent First class flyers that he has belittled over the years. Anyway, every bully makes a huge miscalculation sooner or later and his treatment of Lucky might just result in him being shown the door.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm Reason: wording
Old May 24, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
I know this agent that Lucky had the pleasure of dealing with at RCC as well. The thing is, he's probably one of the more knowledgeable ones at SFO. Perhaps a little too knowledgeable .

He definitely has opinions on certain things and will tell you right on your face. I still remember the last interaction I had with him where I wanted a direct (the opposite of what the OP wanted) SFO-LAS rather than my original SFO-LAX-LAS and he was actually hesitant to do this at the time reminding me of a confirmed F seat on the SFO-LAX segment that I would no longer enjoy. In any case, I ended the successful and rather helpful change with, "Thank you, sir. I do appreciate that." To this he replied, "You know, you shouldn't sir any of us. It makes employees look down on you and that shouldn't be the case. We are employees and we are lower than you".

I thought that was a weird commentary regarding my mere attempt for polite and thankful address, but whatever. This guy is definitely a ____________ (you fill in the blank )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.