Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Always wear your seatbelt!!! UA 1427 (DEN-PHX) on 4/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

UA 1427 turns back after hitting severe turbulence. At least 2 ppl onboard were injured.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...22190&src=news
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe UA should make announcments similar to US safety videos which state that a safety belt must be fastened at all times when seated.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Maybe UA should make announcments similar to US safety videos which state that a safety belt must be fastened at all times when seated.
And it would probably help if they did a small demostration of how to actually buckle and unbuckle the dang thing.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:40 am

any fter's on that flight??? it would be nice to get some first hand; and thankfully they landed safely!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
And it would probably help if they did a small demostration of how to actually buckle and unbuckle the dang thing.
In the old days when Southwest was still fun, the FA's often would start that demo with the statement, "For those of you who have not ridden in a car since 1974, here is how to buckle your seatbelt...." As you probably know, the FAA still actually requires this silly demo.

I hate to say this, but even given the annual occurrence of one or two clear air turbulence events, if I am on a long flight and need to sleep, often it just can't be done comfortably in a C seat while the belt is attached.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I hate to say this, but even given the annual occurrence of one or two clear air turbulence events, if I am on a long flight and need to sleep, often it just can't be done comfortably in a C seat while the belt is attached.
I agree. I just hope injured passengers on this flight will not sue UA. If you don't wear your seatbelt, it is at your own risk.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
One airline that I rode recently (can't remember which one) actually stated that fastening your seat belt on the plane is DIFFERENT from your car. It suddenly made me feel really old!!! I realized that many younger people only know about the "push button"-type seatbelts!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1p
I ALWAYS keep my seat belt fastened. I've had some bumpy flights over the Pacific in the winter, where even the flight attendents droped to the floor and hung onto the aisle armrests.

Talk about drinks aflying!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:59 am

Agreed, but, hopefully not any more with UA's new C seats......
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by AirBoy
I ALWAYS keep my seat belt fastened. I've had some bumpy flights over the Pacific in the winter, where even the flight attendents droped to the floor and hung onto the aisle armrests.

Talk about drinks aflying!
I've been on a few tranpac flights like that and I keep my seat belt fastened.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Looks like this was a Ted Flight. DEN-PHX. Rock the boat Teddie, Rock the Boat, Teddie...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Plane is out of service according to the video... anyone know which plane? N4XXUA?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
...if I am on a long flight and need to sleep, often it just can't be done comfortably in a C seat while the belt is attached.
I have to differ with you on this -- I find that if you loosen the seat belt considerably, you don't even know it's there. It's probably not as fully effective as a tightened belt -- but will at least keep you from hitting the ceiling! i.e. better than nothing at all.

YMMV of course.

-C
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I agree. I just hope injured passengers on this flight will not sue UA. If you don't wear your seatbelt, it is at your own risk.
There's nothing in the news story indicating that the injured pax were, or were not, wearing seat belts. However, the story does say that the "turbulence" occurred very early after takeoff, and UA is very strong about keeping the seat belt sign lit until the plane reaches final cruising altitude.

I'm thinking pax may have bumped heads against each other as the plane did wing-wagging, as described in the story.

Something's also fishy about the way the turbulence was described; makes me wonder if it's not actually a problem with the plane controls, autopilot, etc.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by annerj
Pffft. Next thing you'll want is for the FA's to demonstrate how to put on the oxygen masks, and tell you where the exits are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.