Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switch upgrade instrument (SWU to CR-1)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Switch upgrade instrument (SWU to CR-1)?

I found numerous threads on going from a SWU/CR-1 to E500's or from Miles to SWU/CR-1...

But, I want to switch from an SWU to a CR-1.

One of my CR-1's is tied up right now in an other record (flights canceled and I didn't want to use the CR-1 for the re-booked itinerary). Once I fly that record in two weeks, that CR-1 should be returned to my account (and usable once again!).

In the meantime, I just booked a trip (for three weeks from now), and NF availability is getting slim (X1).

I want to confirm the upgrade now with an SWU, but then switch it to a CR-1 (once that CR-1 is freed up).

Can I do the switch over the phone or do I have to wait until check-in?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, a good 1K agent should easily be able to do that.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They may be able to, but they shouldn't do it because it's not fair. It's just like the old "paper SWU" switcheroo scam.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They may be able to, but they shouldn't do it because it's not fair. It's just like the old "paper SWU" switcheroo scam.
How is it not fair? We're talking about confirmable upgrade instruments in both cases, not one confirmable and one not confirmable. Seems fair game to me.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
How is it not fair?
Because you're using an upgrade instrument that you don't have yet. They don't let you borrow miles you don't have for an award, so why should they let you use an instrument you don't have? By taking that upgrade, someone who does play by the rules is being deprived.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Because you're using an upgrade instrument that you don't have yet. They don't let you borrow miles you don't have for an award, so why should they let you use an instrument you don't have? By taking that upgrade, someone who does play by the rules is being deprived.
Theoretically I "have" the CR-1. However, due to a technicality, its not usable.

I have plenty of SWU's available (not waitlisted or anything like that), but I would prefer not to use them for a domestic itinerary.

So, how is this "using an instrument that I don't have?"
Please elaborate?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've already flown your 10k BIS for the quarter and the CR1 just hasn't posted, I guess using the SWU to hold the upgrade space is ok.

But I can see where one would think it's sort of sketch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.