Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How are seating areas for United flights determined?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E

Recently I flied in Window and Aisle, middle, front or back of the flight. Every time the seating area was 1.

How is this seating area determined? Does all Star Alliance Gold get area 1? If yes, how are the rest determined? Are they in the order of window, middle, aisle or back, mid, front?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, UA elites and Star Gold customers get seating area 1, and then the rest of the passengers get split up based on window (seating area 2), middle (seating area 3), and aisle (seating area 4).
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:56 am

Programs: AGR WOH
A young gate agent boarding DCA-DEN last week gave a running explanation. "We'll begin boarding with our First Class, Global Services, and 1K passengers... now seating area one, which includes our Mileage Plus elite members... seating area two, our window seats..." etc. His flight seemed to board pretty smoothly, without gate lice cutting in line, but I don't know if explaining the system contributed to that.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:28 am

I like the GA at ORD who announces 'we invite families with small children to board with seating area 2' ^ This usually makes it clear that the stroller brigade shouldn't be pushing past everyone to board even before red carpet

While families may not like UA's 'no preboarding families' policy, I applaud them.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: 1K no more
Originally Posted by exbayern
I like the GA at ORD who announces 'we invite families with small children to board with seating area 2' ^ This usually makes it clear that the stroller brigade shouldn't be pushing past everyone to board even before red carpet

While families may not like UA's 'no preboarding families' policy, I applaud them.
I also like this policy but recently at KOA and other locations I've noticed that this policy is apparently not enforced.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by trflyer
I also like this policy but recently at KOA and other locations I've noticed that this policy is apparently not enforced.
I've noticed that when they try to enforce the policy, the parents of the 2-year-olds behave just like their children. Sometimes it's easier to just take the path of least resistance.

And, I have seen UA elites traveling with children - including 1Ks - who were entitled to board early, and rightfully took advantage of it.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

Of course, even as a lowly 2P, I'll still be boarding my family with small children in seating area 1
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Of course, even as a lowly 2P, I'll still be boarding my family with small children in seating area 1
3P also trumps the BB...

But they then board and bump(you) on the way to the back...usually at least.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by divilish
3P also trumps the BB...

But they then board and bump(you) on the way to the back...usually at least.
What do you mean by this?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Since these folks take the longest (anecdotally), why not board them last?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Here here!!!!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Yes, UA elites and Star Gold customers get seating area 1, and then the rest of the passengers get split up based on window (seating area 2), middle (seating area 3), and aisle (seating area 4).
So a family of three are supposed to board at different times (assuming a aisle, middle, window arrangement)?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Because getting a child (young) settled in his/her seat can be like herding cats. The extra 30-60 seconds without the rush of other folks around is all you need to get him/her settled do that "The Scream" is not an integral component of the flight!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:47 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaG
So a family of three are supposed to board at different times (assuming a aisle, middle, window arrangement)?
Any time there are people on the same PNR, they're all given the same seating area...Not sure if it moves up or down based on the highest or lowest. I do know that as a 1K that occasionally travels with non-status co-workers on the same itinerary, they're always given my seating 1.

Rant on a semi-related note: Why, pray tell, do some agents feel the need to throw out the seating areas on occasion when the flight is running late (usually on UX flights)...The announcement goes something like this, "Since we want to get you out of here as quickly as possible, we'll board all rows." Isn't the whole seating area thing to make the process FASTER?!?!?!!? Even at ORD sometimes when the (rare) flight is on time, they'll do it too. None of these have been cases where there were just a few people on the flight, we're talking full or close-to-full flights. As much as I hate the CRJ, I do like to board early, particularly at ORD this time of year, so I'm not standing outside the plane in subzero weather waiting to go up the steps...This has happened to me 3 times this year.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaG
In my experience they just board with whomever has the lowest number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.