Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1/15/2008 UA 901 FRA-SFO diverted to OAK [Updated 2010 News Reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/15/2008 UA 901 FRA-SFO diverted to OAK [Updated 2010 News Reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Apparently there were several SFO diversions in the morning due to the fog. I was at the SFO RCC late that afternoon and the agent at the front desk mentioned an inbound 777 (I believe it was coming in from Asia) had diverted to Reno that morning.
now i know the runway is plenty long enough but that must have been a trip (pun intended) either to see, or have been, on that sucker coming thru the mountains.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Apparently there were several SFO diversions in the morning due to the fog. I was at the SFO RCC late that afternoon and the agent at the front desk mentioned an inbound 777 (I believe it was coming in from Asia) had diverted to Reno that morning.
Looks like it was flight 76 from HNL on the 14th?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...811Z/PHNL/KRNO
Also 892 from ICN on the 15th diverted to LAX:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...616Z/RKSI/KLAX
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:47 pm

The facts

If you knew all the facts, it would change your life forever.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by The Pilot flying
Doubtful..but why don't you enlighten us?

Interesting first post... welcome to FT.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by The Pilot flying
Do tell.....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
...this could get interesting...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
First off, I doubt we will ever hear back from "The Pilot flying" on this one, but I'd really like to know what happened.

I was on UA852 from NRT-SFO on 1/25 and we also had a diversion and ground stop at OAK. This was necessary because the plane needed fuel after circling over the Pacific for an hour waiting to land. However, after a quick stop I got to take the super quick OAK-SFO flight which is a really neat flying only 11 miles in a 777.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:19 pm

http://cbs5.com/local/united.flight.901.2.1693628.html
Old May 13, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Finally, more than two years after that cryptic message from The Pilot flying.

Wow!
Old May 13, 2010, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jef7
Finally, more than two years after that cryptic message from The Pilot flying.

Wow!
Exactly why you want an experienced cockpit crew. I'd expect that some express-type planes with this advanced programming would have ended up in the bay.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just saw the interview on KPIX (Ch. 5 SF) including a screen-shot of this FT post.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:11 am

Is it just me or dose cbs5 hate united airlines not about this story but every story the show is only bad things about united.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:19 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Interesting to read another post last night from someone claiming that a CO pilot, experiencing a tailstrike taking off, turned in his wings... and today we have reports of this experience, reports coming out because one of the crew (Pilot or CoPilot, I'm not sure which) has stopped flying and has a lawsuit against Honeywell, manufacturer of the ILS system on the plane, because they caused him to suffer from post-traumatic-stress syndrome.

I'm going to have to ask my pilot friend about this one, since I'd think there would be systems on board that actually measure, rather than assume, present aircraft altitude. I can understand the lateral positioning error that supposedly happened on the second landing attempt, but it seems odd that an aircraft has no means of knowing the distance between itself and the ground. Which could be one more example of how little I know about aircraft.

Whatever, glad we have people and not robots in the cockpit. Great work by the cockpit crew. ^
Originally Posted by jckool44
Is it just me or dose cbs5 hate united airlines not about this story but every story the show is only bad things about united.
In the big picture, there's lots of good news about UA. But locally? United has laid off and furloughed an awful lot of people 'round these parts, and for the local angle, that's a lot more important than stories about putting new seats in 777s.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; May 14, 2010 at 12:23 am Reason: merged replies
Old May 14, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Probably one of the shorter 747 flights that can be made between two different airports except BFI-SEA
This used to be a regular scheduled flight. I remember way back when there was some promotion that if you flew in a given year you'd get double miles or something the next year. The local news reported lots of people taking the OAK-SFO flight R/T to meet that requirement.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:51 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just saw the interview on KPIX (Ch. 5 SF) including a screen-shot of this FT post.
saw it as well (complete with the screen shot of Cap'n Adventure's post) and very very scary. wondering if this was "brushed under the rug" by ua and/or honeywell thinking nothing would come of it until the pilot took legal action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.