Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flight not open for checkin [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle

I've been trying to check-in for my flight tomorrow morning SFO-IAD-RDU. When I go to .bomb and select my trip, it says that UA 950 SFO-IAD is "not open for Checkin". To me this smells like trouble (which wouldn't be a surprise given the 777 on the route) but the Premier Executive reservations say there are no problems.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:02 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Flight is probably oversold and there are going to work with seats at the gate..
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:14 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by couscous
Flight is probably oversold and there are going to work with seats at the gate..
Maybe, but usually oversold flights don't show F9 C9 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 K9 L9 G9 P9 A9 D0 Z0 . . .

More likely, they have an aircraft sub in mind . . .
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Ari
Maybe, but usually oversold flights don't show F9 C9 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 K9 L9 G9 P9 A9 D0 Z0 . . .

More likely, they have an aircraft sub in mind . . .
When I took 951 last week the 3 class 777 was switched to a 2 class 777, hence no upgrade. Thats my fear for this trip as well. I hate it when I *specifically* book a flight for the upgrade possibility and then they sub different equipment.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noah
When I took 951 last week the 3 class 777 was switched to a 2 class 777, hence no upgrade. Thats my fear for this trip as well. I hate it when I *specifically* book a flight for the upgrade possibility and then they sub different equipment.
I see. You may find that happening again . . . or it could just be a 777 XC/XI/XP swap which would only lose you 4 C seats. Only time will tell.

I don't like downswapping A/C either (unless I'm on a paid premium fare in which case I don't care).
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been trying to check-in for my flight tomorrow morning SFO-IAD-RDU. When I go to .bomb and select my trip, it says that UA 950 SFO-IAD is "not open for Checkin". To me this smells like trouble (which wouldn't be a surprise given the 777 on the route) but the Premier Executive reservations say there are no problems.

Any ideas?

You are likely in for the "SSSS" (secondary screening) treatment, courtesy of the beloved TSA.

When that happens, you can't check-in online or at a kiosk.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LessO2
You are likely in for the "SSSS" (secondary screening) treatment, courtesy of the beloved TSA.

When that happens, you can't check-in online or at a kiosk.
My experience has been that when you get SSSS'ed it tells you that "This Itinerary not available, please contact United Reservations". Rather than in this case, my particular flight not being available. Time will tell I suppose.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
With all these theories, people are missing what I consider a 90% likelihood: a bug on united.com.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With all these theories, people are missing what I consider a 90% likelihood: a bug on united.com.
Impossible..
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Update: Just tried again to check-in and the aircraft type no longer says 777. It says 747. Good for my UG chances!

Sadly, the flight is under airport control so no OLCI and I'll have to just take my chances with seat in Y or C tomorrow...
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just tried again to check-in and the aircraft type no longer says 777. It says 747. Good for my UG chances!
And noah wins the Lucky Dog!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
My experience has been that when you get SSSS'ed it tells you that "This Itinerary not available, please contact United Reservations". Rather than in this case, my particular flight not being available. Time will tell I suppose.
Got this message for Tuesday's flight, and expected a secondary, but nothing materialized. I know I always sweat those secondaries at MOD (Modesto, CA)

Also, tried checking in for my return at SFO Gate 80 CSC Chicken's, but no joy. Nice gate agent in ALB did the deed for me ^^.

Got the same routing next week so will see if I have the same message and problem...

Pat
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/ SPG PLAT/ AA PLT / HERTZ PC
OLCI: Flight not open for checkin?

I tried to do OLCI for my flight, and I got the "Flight not open for checkin" error. Any idea what is going on?

United 189
Not departed
Airbus A320
Food for purchase
Upgraded flight

Flight not open for checkin

Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Mar 22
Scheduled: 6:05 PM
Estimated: 6:05 PM

San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Mar 22
Scheduled: 9:28 PM
Estimated: 9:28 PM
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:14 am

Often a change of aircraft will trigger this.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It happened to me a few weeks ago on one of the Monday morning DEN-SFO flights. Turns out the flight was extremely oversold for whatever reason so I'm guessing that was the reason in this case.

-Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.