Programs: UA 1.6MM
Ramp Service tends to mean delays due:

1) Catering
2) Fueling
3) Cargo Loading/Unloading
4) Bags Loading/Unloading
5) Lavatory service
6) Potable water service

And other assorted ramp related activities.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by warreng24
Ramp Service tends to mean delays due:

1) Catering
2) Fueling
3) Cargo Loading/Unloading
4) Bags Loading/Unloading
5) Lavatory service
6) Potable water service

And other assorted ramp related activities.
Exclude catering ... United has a separate "Schedule change due to Catering" label that they like to use. I think it lets them charge the catering companies some penalty for the delay.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Wonderful.

The delay was 2 hours yesterday, 30mins and counting today.

I'm on this flight tomorrow with two hours in IAD to make my connection. I thought that was plenty until I started looking yesterday.

UX staff at RDU never fails to amaze me.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:36 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
That's one of the (relatively) new 737 mainline flights. I wonder if there is a bit of a learning curve for ground crews used to the CRJs?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, AA G (MM), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Global Entry, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dulcamara
UX staff at RDU never fails to amaze me.
Agreed. The staff at RDU is indifferent at best. It's not a good representation of UA/UX to the RDU region.

I suppose it could be worse -- they may not care about me, but at least I can understand what they're saying. When I fly out home out of the A gates at IAD, I'm not even sure those gate agents are speaking English. They'll make an announcement, and everyone starts looking around, hoping that someone else caught the drift.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by boosman
I'm not even sure those gate agents are speaking English. They'll make an announcement, and everyone starts looking around, hoping that someone else caught the drift.
Yes it's strange how those airport announcers are selected, command of English certainly NOT a requirement! In SFO all the announcements are in Mandarin, the way it sounds, while some other airports are Spanish-speaking only.

As for IAD-RDU, each time I rush to the gate where the last few pax are boarding .. only to be told No it's not the RDU flight as displayed which is boarding from that gate but some other much earlier flight to somewhere else.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
That's one of the (relatively) new 737 mainline flights. I wonder if there is a bit of a learning curve for ground crews used to the CRJs?
Aaargh. Here I was thinking that the return of mainline service would help the dismal RDU delays/cancellations record. I picked two RDU flights next week specifically for the mainline equipment... we'll see what happens...
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
While I haven't found the thread just yet, it was reported in the local RDU News & Observer that RDU would be going back to mainline employees. Hopefully this will help.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
The UX staff at RDU is slow and confused at best. I'm hoping when UA shows up for real the ground staff will be better.

312 has a completely unrealistic turn-around time with fewer than 29 mins from arrival at the gate to boarding. It seems that on Aug 9 and 10 then left the gate 20 minutes or so late, and then sat on the runway for quite a while. The weather was not optimal on the east coast those two days, so maybe that was part of the problem.

As long as 312 gets to IAD early enough for me to stop at Vino Volo on my way to board 902, I'll be happy.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shuttle America seems to get the RDU-ORD flights off a lot better than whoever is running RDU-IAD.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
While I haven't found the thread just yet, it was reported in the local RDU News & Observer that RDU would be going back to mainline employees. Hopefully this will help.
Oh, please don't tease! It sounds too good to be true.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Shuttle America seems to get the RDU-ORD flights off a lot better than whoever is running RDU-IAD.
I totally agree, Shuttle America rocks. It seems, though, that they are operating fewer of those RDU flights, at least at the times I have been traveling RDU.

Originally Posted by dulcamara
312 has a completely unrealistic turn-around time with fewer than 29 mins from arrival at the gate to boarding. It seems that on Aug 9 and 10 then left the gate 20 minutes or so late, and then sat on the runway for quite a while. The weather was not optimal on the east coast those two days, so maybe that was part of the problem.
Ugh. Of course I picked 312 without doing enough research. Typical RDU staff + 29-min turnaround = recipe for disaster. Hopefully my almost-1.5 hour connection in IAD will be enough cushion. (It's often not enough with 'normal' RDU service.)
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Ugh. Of course I picked 312 without doing enough research. Typical RDU staff + 29-min turnaround = recipe for disaster. Hopefully my almost-1.5 hour connection in IAD will be enough cushion. (It's often not enough with 'normal' RDU service.)
29-minute turnaround, what? Try 46 minutes.

UA265 IAD 12:55PM RDU 2:02 PM 733 1h07m
UA312 RDU 2:48 PM IAD 3:57 PM 733 1h09m

Also, UA 312 continues onto BDL, so I'm sure the folks there are ticked too with the RDU-IAD performance!

One thought, maybe the UAX people at RDU have just stopped really trying since they know they're about to be replaced by mainline employees?

Yet again today:

Scheduled: 2:48 PM
Actual: 3:24 PM
Reason: Schedule change due to Ramp Service
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Oh, please don't tease! It sounds too good to be true.
Never fear... here's the press release from the RDU Airport Authority.

United takes over it's own RDU flights in September.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, PC Platinum, HH Diamond
This has affected me twice in the past month as the flight attendants for UA 1500 IAD-MCO have been on this flight. Of course, both times they had to have known this was an issue, but didn't announce the delays until the scheduled boarding time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.