Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UX not following UA Customer Service Commitment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc

27 NOV UA 6387 SFO-PSP operated by UX. We get to SFO, flight shows as on-time for 2100 departure. Get something to eat. Check .com. Uh, oh. Flight now shows as delayed to 2220. Head into RCC to camp out. Ask agent there for any advice on rental cars at PSP due to late arrival. She was good and helped get me a number to call. Killed some more time. On a lark, decided to check .com again. Flight now back at 2100!!! Double checked the monitors, and they did a gate change (no doubt a plane change) and it was back on time. A quick dash to the gate and we're off. On the way out, I had the RCC agent double check and she said that it was back on time and that UX "does this all the time and they don't say anything."

Does not UA's new service commitment state:

"Given that customers may choose to leave the gate area once a delayed departure time is announced, it is our policy that a delayed flight will not leave the gate prior to the revised departure time, even if an earlier departure is possible. However, if all customers who are checked in for the delayed flight are onboard the aircraft, an earlier departure may be considered."

We were lucky that we checked at the opportune time see the status of the delay. It is quite likely that they would have left without us.

While I am glad to arrive on time (well close to), I wonder whether the commitment applies to UX.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
My 2 cents

Saw a similar post to this one. I remember people saying they have been burnt on mainline UA on this very thing... flight delayed and then moved to a revised time only to be changed to a much closer revised time with little warning.

This is tough one. It is especially irritating if you choose to come to the airport later to avoid being stuck there and then the revised time is so quick that you have no chance to make your flight. On the other hand, for those who are stuck there... why should they wait for the minority of people who are not on hand?

Tough call.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MacDanny
On the other hand, for those who are stuck there... why should they wait for the minority of people who are not on hand?
Because there's no clear guideline for how many passengers it's "OK" to strand by leaving early.

The policy is correct and reasonable. If you're going to delay a flight, be absolutely certain you want to, because it's permanent. Delay it only the amount that you think you'll need. Opt for delaying multiple times, rather than delaying once (for a longer period of time) and locking yourself into that delay, because your passengers react according to the most up-to-date departure time.

Saying "well, we're missing three people, but forget them!" ... well, that's not good business, and it's mostly avoidable with appropriate delay policies.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by MacDanny
On the other hand, for those who are stuck there... why should they wait for the minority of people who are not on hand?

Tough call.
... because that's the current policy, for better or for worse. Following a stated policy should not really be a "tough call" for United.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rch4u
... because that's the current policy, for better or for worse.
And the United Express carriers are not United, for better or for worse.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And the United Express carriers are not United, for better or for worse.
Does not excuse United in the least ...

"11. Work Closely with our Regional Flying Partners to Deliver Responsive Customer Service

United’s commitment:

Regardless of whether our customers choose a mainline United flight or any of the regional point-to-point routes operated by our United Express partner carriers, the experience will be consistent in terms of delivering the highest standards of safety, reliability, and helpful and courteous service.

What this means for you:

The assurance that we work closely with our regional flying partners to ensure their customer service policies and training align with Our Customer CommitmentTM. And if you have any service issues on a United Express flight, you can contact Customer Relations for resolution."
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by aerokitty
On a lark, decided to check .com again. Flight now back at 2100!!! Double checked the monitors, and they did a gate change (no doubt a plane change) and it was back on time.
IMO UX did not violate the customer committment policy since they revised the flight time again. The statement is meant to cover situations where the flight time is listed as one time and they decide to leave early.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
This same thing happened to me. I showed up early for my flight and .bomb showed that my flight was delayed for several hours, so I headed over to the US Club to relax. I checked .bomb again, it still showed delayed. I took a little nap, checked again only to see that my flight had an on time departure, and was now in the air. GRRR
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Originally Posted by JeffS
IMO UX did not violate the customer committment policy since they revised the flight time again. The statement is meant to cover situations where the flight time is listed as one time and they decide to leave early.
Huh? I do not follow your logic here. Clearly, the intent of the policy is to allow passengers to plan their activities around a revised departure time. If we follow your logic, all UX would have to do is revise the departure time right before they want to go, close the door and go. That would defeat the entire purpose of this policy, no?

As others have pointed out, once you announce a delay, that is your new earliest departure time (unless you can round up all the pax). Revising it earlier makes no sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.