Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Silver Wings Plus Program - is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Silver Wings Plus Program - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Not in my case it just added 12500 miles based on nonSW booked flights. That's my lifetime allowance of course, so no reason to renew. Where next? Ameniti?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by harryhv
Not in my case it just added 12500 miles based on nonSW booked flights. That's my lifetime allowance of course, so no reason to renew. Where next? Ameniti?
Um... You're already in Ameniti. Look at the fine print...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
Probably not worth it

Originally Posted by Amaran
I hope I'm in the right forum with this question... But I've just been reading throught the website of Silver Wings Plus as it might be interesting for my parents.
Can anyone tell me if it is worth the annual fee? How exactly does this work? As far as I understood you have to pay 240 $ per year to be Preferred Member and for that you get 300 $ in travel credits you can use for flights and hotel stays? And is it also available for Europeans?

Maybe some of you have experience with this program
IMHO this program, like Ameniti, is basically a scam. The objective is getting cash from you up front in return for marginal benefits - sort of like the original fur traders with their beads.

A few years ago I was sucked in by the promotion - and did get some value one-time. I also got some expiring coupons that were hard for me to use, and like a lot of promo travel coupons wound up throwing them away. I am a lifetime member, I think, but that did not prevent them from inactivating my account. (It is now reactivated.) i suppose if you are sure you can immediately benefit from their offier go for it.

Some things I do not like about programs like this:
- 'special fares' that are usually easy to beat on the web (e.g. zone fares)
- 'coupons' with restrictions and that are not transferrable and thus hard to use - or provide marginal benefit
- gviing my money up front
- complex and changing membership levels and fees and corresponding uncertain benefits
- continual attempts to get us to 'upgrade' memberships for more money
- no useful web reserving function and charges for using real people
- it is another example of a 'loyalty program' designed more to tie you in to the provider and to give them another channel to market 'deals' than to give you real benefits
- the initial value goes away quickly and getting any ongoing value requires ongoing investment with marginal paybacks

Since I do not plan to throw more money into it, the wonderful lifetime program to which I subscribed now has no value that I can find for me. Again, if it works for you go for it - but look closely at what you get for the money and make sure it is worth it to you.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:26 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by RickR
IMHO this program, like Ameniti, is basically a scam. The objective is getting cash from you up front in return for marginal benefits - sort of like the original fur traders with their beads.

A few years ago I was sucked in by the promotion - and did get some value one-time...
Was the one-time value you allude to the 25K of RDM on enrollment and double miles for up to 12.5K of flying, producing 37.5K of extra RDM along with the $300 in credits usable $100 at a time in return for the $240 to join?

If that is a "scam," then I earnestly hope those fur traders with their beads will be back again soon, since I am eager to be "scammed" in that manner many more times.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by itsme
Was the one-time value you allude to the 25K of RDM on enrollment and double miles for up to 12.5K of flying, producing 37.5K of extra RDM along with the $300 in credits usable $100 at a time in return for the $240 to join?

I'll agree with you about this being a good deal, if you use the credits by phone. Until I learned that, I went through much frustration trying to use the credits on the web site.

The agents on the phone are well trained, efficient, and NOT outsourced! Besides using the SW credits, you can use them to book any United flights, at good prices. If the fares are in the computer, and not web only, they will find them. I use them for all my flights now.

Another big advantage, which I confirmed by email, might be their phone support during irregular ops. I have not had to use it, but they said that they would do their best to reschedule during problems. If true, this alone could be worth membership.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Two issues I have encountered recently:

I am told by Silver Wings that the SW double miles do not apply to 1K or 1P as we are already getting double miles.

Second, if we book through the SW desk, we pay the $10 booking fee, unless we are using a travel credit. Does this jibe with others' experiences?

By the way, my previous allusion to Ameniti was because, if you check the fine print, you'll see that Silver Wings is administered by Ameniti.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
No double miles for P/1Ks?

I had not seen this in any of the materials and agree it could be a deal-breaker. Anybody know anything official on this?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Fly16
I had not seen this in any of the materials and agree it could be a deal-breaker. Anybody know anything official on this?
I don't see how they could possibly do this.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Firewind
Two issues I have encountered recently:

I am told by Silver Wings that the SW double miles do not apply to 1K or 1P as we are already getting double miles.
I am a 1K and I got the double miles, a year ago. Here is an example of how it posted.
Jan 11, 2006 SILVER WINGS DOUBLE AIR MILES BONUS 651 0 0 651
I reached the limit quickly.
Preferred members of Silver Wings Plus earn double miles on qualifying United, United Express® and TedSM flights, up to a lifetime maximum benefit of 12,500 bonus miles.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Feb 3, 2007 at 3:47 pm
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:41 pm
In memoriam

Two issues I have encountered recently: ...

Second, if we book through the SW desk, we pay the $10 booking fee, unless we are using a travel credit.
https://www.silverwingsplus.com/swho...ol/helpPVT#q23
Is there a fee to use the Silver Wings Plus Travel Center to book travel?
There is no fee to redeem travel credits through the Travel Center, nor is there a fee to book car rentals or hotel stays. There is a $10 fee to ticket a published airfare through the Travel Center. There is a $5 fee to ticket a flight using a Zone Fare.
BTW, unless there is a great offer to renew this year, I will not be. The travel credits are such a pain to use and the phone hours of operation are limited. I have never found a case where the zone fares are a better deal that what can be found online. There may be some, but I have not seen any yet.
Trained travel professionals are available Monday through Friday 8am to 10pm and 8:30am to 6:00pm Saturday and Sunday (Central Time).
I think that is better than it used to be.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Feb 3, 2007 at 3:57 pm
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
not that rich

Originally Posted by itsme

If that is a "scam," then I earnestly hope those fur traders with their beads will be back again soon, since I am eager to be "scammed" in that manner many more times.
This goes back quite a ways now, but I don't think the "beads" they gave out were nearly that rich at the time. There may have been some miles, but I don't think any 2x miles. There were some (companion?) coupons that were too hard to use - and of course, access to those fantastic zone fares, using which one can pay more than via any travel agent. This is my fault, of course, for being gullible and too optimistic about my situation, but I wound up with a net loss on the buy-in to the program.

BTW, the miles and credits are cheaper by signing up for a credit card.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:51 pm

Unless the SW policies have changed, as gfowler-ord-1k, posted, I also am a 1K and I also got my double miles as promised, plus my 1K bonus.

I signed up a few years back when they were still offering lifetime memberships. In my case, the $$$ Off certs, double miles, etc... made it worth the money I spent for my membership.

I have not used SW to purchase any of my tickets since the year of my joining because their fares are not very competitive. I can buy cheaper fares from a consolidator.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RickR
BTW, the miles and credits are cheaper by signing up for a credit card.
No credits for a credit card. As for the miles, why not sign up for both?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:52 am

Thank you for the answers.

Two SW reservationists told me no, but I'll be looking for the bonus miles based on the experiences here.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:21 pm
In memoriam

SilverWings customer service appears now to be outsourced to poorly trained/unexperienced offshore staff. They used to have people in USA that were well trained and knew what they were doing. Be aware of this if you are considering renewing or signing up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.