Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why are some United Express flight numbers re-used for both the outbound and return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are some United Express flight numbers re-used for both the outbound and return?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

Just an informational question... I have noticed that a number of UAX flight numbers are used twice per day, for both the outbound and the return of a particular route. For example, CLT-IAD and IAD-CLT are BOTH UA7127:

http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightSum...27&Check=Check

Is the supply of flight numbers so limited that they can't get a separate number for the outbound and the return? It's not like the same number is being used to create a "direct" flight (IAD to IAD via CLT).

I'm noticing this with several flights operated by Mesa. Not sure about other carriers.

Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I recall this being asked before, but couldn't find the thread after a quick search.

My recollection was that there are a limited amount of flight numbers, so they reuse them. By using the same flight # on turnaround, or even continuation flights, they guarantee that two planes with the same flight # will not be in the air at the same time. They want to avoid this

I thought it odd that there is a problem, since there is not 10,000 flights a day on the UAL schedule. However, with the segmentation of flight numbers, it creates problems. E.g. Mesa might have 7100-7500, and has > 400 flights each day, where as mainline has UA 0001-1599 but there isn't 1600 mainline flights each day. (These are illustrative numbers, not the actual ones.)
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:42 pm

US Air too !

Originally Posted by cakobau

I'm noticing this with several flights operated by Mesa. Not sure about other carriers.

US Air is doing the same thing with the LGA to LEB flights.
4832, 4831, 4833 are all used for both from LGA to LEB and LEB to LGA.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I know there was a previous thread where this was discussed... heck, maybe I even asked the same question to start that one, as I know I've seen the UX flights IAD-ROA (operated at various points by DH, AWAC, ShuttleAmerica, and TransStates) sharing numbers. Most certainly the ShuttleAmerica ones did, anyway.

The explanation that it helps keep from having two flights in the air with the same # makes sense, although the "Flight Status" info sometimes looks decidedly odd when checking that online.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Apologies for asking a question that's apparently been answered, but I get an error when I attempt a search. (I also can't get united.com to load, but that's another matter...)

The idea that there are never 2 planes in the air with the same flight number sounds plausible.

I wonder how MP would credit your account if you actually took both flights with the same number... would they give you zero miles, since you "flew" direct IAD-CLT-IAD, for example? Hmmm...
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:26 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
oops!

Last edited by roberto99; Nov 16, 2005 at 7:11 pm Reason: double post
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:27 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The answer

I recall US's commuter carriers starting this about 7-8 years ago in order to spend half the time filing flight plans. (One flight plan covers 2 segments)

This makes perfect sense, too, since virtualy all of their flights are turns from the hubs (except the last one out which serves the first one in the next morning).
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I wonder how MP would credit your account if you actually took both flights with the same number... would they give you zero miles, since you "flew" direct IAD-CLT-IAD, for example? Hmmm...
IIRC, the other thread indicated that you would be creditted properly in this case.

Last edited by qasr; Nov 16, 2005 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
It's never a problem. The crediting is based on how a flight continuation is ticketed:

If AAA-BBB-CCC is ticketed as a single segment you get miles from AAA to CCC. If it is ticketed as two segments you get AAA-BBB plus BBB-CCC.

Now in the case of IAD-CLT-IAD, you can never book it as a single segment because returning to a city will trigger a fare break.

Hence you always get full mileage.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:01 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
united.com can get confused on ticketing these and not be able to come up with a fare.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earlier threads...

Here are a few existing discussions on the same topic:

Same flight number in both directions? (united.com can't handle it)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424391

Two flights with same flight number, different directions?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351775
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's definitely credited correctly; I did this as a MR last year for some promo or another (DEN-GJT-DEN in this case).
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph

No, they give you double credit as they should. I did this the other day.
Actually, I've done this a lot, but this was the first time I did the two halves in the same day. As somebody mentioned, USAirways does this with a lot of flights. United, I've only seen it recently, but then again I've been paying more attention to flight numbers now that we have multiple Express carriers on my most common route.

Aw hell, I shoulda scrolled down before hitting the "reply" button. Sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.