Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

America West/USAir merger - impact on Codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;

Not sure if anyone here knows:

What is the timeline for the merger? I assume that soon United miles could be used for an award on America West (soon to be USAir) flights, and that America West flights will earn Milage Plus miles

Unless after the merger, USAir and United break their ties
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Apparently the new company will be called US Airways and will stay in *A. If and when that actually happens is not public information, and I haven't seen it mentioned on FT. You might be better off asking in the US forum.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1P
Whether or not we can earn miles on (the former) HP after the merger closes (supposedly Tuesday) is a question I have had as well. I know that a lot of people who oppose Ted would be happy to fly HP in first to PHX or LAS and earn MP miles.

There is a $119 r/t fare ORD-SMF on HP that would make for great mileage runs if it does indeed earn MP miles...

I just wrote to MP asking for a clarification. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. But here is my e-mail to them. I'll report back with the answer.

Greetings,

I have a question about earning miles on US Airways/America West tickets. As you know, these two airlines are merging this week and adopting the US Airways name.

Will all flights on the merged airline be eligible for Mileage Plus accrual?

If one purchases a ticket today from America West (pre-merger), will this ticket be eligible for Mileage Plus accrual once America West and US Airways merge?

Thank you in advance for your clarification!

Best wishes,
cakobau
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Originally Posted by cakobau

I just wrote to MP asking for a clarification. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. But here is my e-mail to them. I'll report back with the answer.
Don't think you are jumping the gun ... given the price benefit of flying HP - this is very importatnt information. I am also curious as to weather the miles will be RDM or EQM ...
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by bosbjg
Don't think you are jumping the gun ... given the price benefit of flying HP - this is very importatnt information. I am also curious as to weather the miles will be RDM or EQM ...
Excellent point, and one that I should have remembered to ask about. Damn. Clearly, I'm still under-caffeinated. I'll see what they reply, and I'll follow up if necessary.

Edited to add: The only reason it may be jumping the gun is that the merger is not complete. MP may not want to say what the earning rules are until the merger is effective. But perhaps they're willing to make contingent statements, i.e., "you will earn xxx if and when the merger completes" etc.

We'll see.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
The new merged company is to take effect tomorrow Tuesday:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476128
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:55 pm

Well, here is the reply I received... not an impressive answer, but about what I'd expect. No acknowledgment of the upcoming merger, or the fact that America West will no longer exist in name, though presumably "HP" coded flights will still persist...

I think I will reply later, from home, asking them to consider the question of the POST-MERGER entity more closely. Any followups you want me to throw out there?

Hello Mr. cakobau,

Thank you for being a loyal Premier member.

Many of our airline partners have code share arrangements with airlines
other than United. Currently, United is not partners with America West only
US Airways. Your flights on America West can not be applied to the Mileage
Plus program, but you will be able to have any America West posted to your
Dividend Miles account with US Airways.

Thank you for choosing United and the Star Alliance.

Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:21 pm

If you look on the merger website information under the FAQ's MP members can not earn miles yet. But I'll e-mail UA MP again tomorrow once the merger is closed.

P.S.
I can't wait to see the new Star timetable next week (or tomorrow!).
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I can't wait to see the new Star timetable next week (or tomorrow!).
Based on the info we are getting it may be a while before the HP flights show up in the *A timetable. I'm guessing Jan/Feb 2006 timeframe before it's complete.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
Originally Posted by cakobau
Whether or not we can earn miles on (the former) HP after the merger closes (supposedly Tuesday) is a question I have had as well. I know that a lot of people who oppose Ted would be happy to fly HP in first to PHX or LAS and earn MP miles.

There is a $119 r/t fare ORD-SMF on HP that would make for great mileage runs if it does indeed earn MP miles...

to my knowledge, even after the merger, us and hp will keep their programs separate. even though us members will earn miles on hp and vice-versa, i can't imagine that ua mp memebers will be eligible for credit on hp flights. we'll know that probably not until 2006 when the us and hp plans officially merge.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:00 pm

Question answered on new website

FWIW, US and HP have set up a website regarding the merger.

http://www.usairwaysinfo.com/

which contains lots of info. But most importantly, this page within that website features this nugget:
At this point, United Mileage Plus members are not able to earn or redeem miles on flight segments operated by America West.
That answers that question...

I suspect that the HP designation for flights will disappear in early 2006, and at that time the old America West routes will carry a primary US flight number. "Operated by America West" will be meaningless then. Then, and only then, will we earn UA miles on the old HP routes. But this latter point is just my speculation.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold
So, if a flight is a USAir flight number, but on America West metal, can we still get Mileage Plus credit?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:13 am

No. As stated in the post above yours, no MP credit for flights operated by HP - at least so far.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:47 am

To reverse the question: what about America West coded flights operated by US Airways? Is it possible to earn United EQM on them? (I think the answer ought to be yes, but I would like to be sure...)
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HomelessScientist
To reverse the question: what about America West coded flights operated by US Airways? Is it possible to earn United EQM on them? (I think the answer ought to be yes, but I would like to be sure...)
I like to know the answer to this question as well. Both UA and HP put their code on the US Shuttle. Any experiences out there as to whether an HP flight number on the Shuttle would earn UA miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.