Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Middle in Economy Plus or Aisle/Window in Economy Minus? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Today I was lucky enough to clear the standby list on UA 1488 from SFO to PHX. When I reached the podium I was asked the above question. I deliberated for a while and picked the window, but I wondered what most others would do, so I put it to you.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Depends on the equipment ... E- 31" pitch really, really, really hurts my knees (that one inch less pitch on an Airbus vs. a 737 kills me--much moreso than the inch increase in seat width makes up for). If E- is 32" or the flight is less than two hours, I'd go for the window. Otherwise, E+ even in a crappy middle is better for my sanity.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:05 pm

Like the above poster, I think it really depends on equipment and how tall you are. Personally, I prefer the extra legroom and hope that my neighbor by the window doesn't get up during the flight.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:06 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
That's an easy one: E- window.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by CMK10
Today I was lucky enough to clear the standby list on UA 1488 from SFO to PHX. When I reached the podium I was asked the above question. I deliberated for a while and picked the window, but I wondered what most others would do, so I put it to you.
At 6'4"+, E+ always wins over E-, even if it is a middle seat.

JR
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:10 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Also sounding off with the OPs, but in most situations I would pick E- Window.

On a T7, E+ Middle (in the smaller cabin most likely), I'm not sure about others that would make me pick E+ middle.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:14 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Any E+ is better than any E-. I'm 6'1".
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Depends. If the middle was gonna be open in E-, I'd take the window there. Otherwise, in almost all cases I'd take the E+ middle for the legroom. Nothing stinks more than being two seats from the aisle in E-.

hamburgler
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've been given that choice before - most definitely E+ middle. To me, there's no difference between a middle and a window - you're sandwiched between a person and either another person or a wall.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My choice 2 days ago was E+ middle or E- aisle on a 752. I'm taking E- aisle.

The positive news is i won't feel guilty about not working on the flight, as i wouldn't be able to use a NB comfortably anway!
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
The worst seat in E+ is better than the best seat in E-, unless you're talking an E- exit row (which I think exist only on 777s and 744s).
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:18 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Talking

Domestic E+ seat for the short flight but if the Middle Seat was open in E- I would have to take E-. On Long Haul anything that helps me sleep and on a 747 I would rather have the window!!!
-UFFA
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
The worst seat in E+ is better than the best seat in E-, unless you're talking an E- exit row (which I think exist only on 777s and 744s).
Exactly my thought!
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I had the same situation last week on a SFO to IAD flight. I took the E- window. Luckly at the last minute, they were able to give me window in E+ in the exit row - so I even had extra room.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:38 am

Programs: UAL
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
2-class 767s also have E- exit rows, IIRC.

You can also hang around the near the GA and vulture for the seats vacated by upgraders. Those are usually good E+ seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.