Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would like to buy a cheapish biz fare

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2005, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Would like to buy a cheapish biz fare

I lost UA 2P in 2003. On a recent trip, I was fortunate to get "upgraded" to the exit row on all legs of SFO-NRT-HKG-NRT-SFO. I'm a taller guy, so the narrow seat was bearable, but not comfortable... that said, I think I may have missed the personal monitor more than the seat space.

I'll be heading from SFO to HKG again in late June and was wondering what sites I should look at for lower-priced biz class fares.

Thanks

Whoops -- this should probably be under another forum topic.

Last edited by marketmaker; May 26, 2005 at 10:25 pm Reason: This should probably be in another forum topic
Old May 27, 2005, 2:55 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
... and therefore I'm moving it to UA ...

Regards, ralfkrippner, community co-mod
Old May 27, 2005, 6:48 am

You've missed the window on United's occasional Z fares, as I think those need to be purchased by 6 or 7 weeks in advance of travel dates.
Try www.1st-air.net. They have discounted business class fares. They don't use United, but that may not be important to you if you have no United status.
Alternatively, go to www.itasoftware.com and click on "more options" to do a search for business class fares. It's not a booking site but will tell you what's out there.
Finally, you can always use miles to upgrade (cheapest $$$ option, depending what the miles are worth to you).
Old May 27, 2005, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Depends what you mean by cheapish. A bit under $5k inc taxes is the best I can find. Using a DSFO fare. There should be some good consolidators in SFO which could get you better fares to HKG.
Old May 27, 2005, 9:23 am

SQ has good c fares from LAX to Taipei - you could buy a split ticket and save some money that way.
Old May 27, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Try these guys too:
http://angeltravel.com/

I have no affiliation with them.
Old May 27, 2005, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks! I'm going to check out all those options.

darn, Z fares -- I'm learning something new all the time...
Old May 27, 2005, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by marketmaker
Thanks folks! I'm going to check out all those options.

darn, Z fares -- I'm learning something new all the time...
Remember that Z's cannot be upgraded to F, if you care.
Old May 28, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Regarding Z fares, keep in mind that they usually require a 50 day advance purchase and come with restrictions, i.e. non-refundable or hefty cancellation fee and $300 change fees. Make sure you read the fare rules if you have some uncertainty about your flight dates.

I've paid $3K for LAX-HKG for a Z fare. As as a previous poster noted, it is NOT upgradeablet to F.
Old May 28, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I'm doing SNA-ICN on UA and ICN-TAE on KE next week. D fare issued on UA stock came to just under $3500. Actually, the fare class is "Discounted Business Class". When I asked a UA friend about that, she confirmed it is simply a D fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.