Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vegetarian Meals on UA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Bump - What do you suggest for vegetarian (or pescetarian) traveling out of MUC (C Class)?

Last edited by 100% Green; Nov 2, 2008 at 5:47 am
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: UAL 1K
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Bump - What do you suggest for vegetarian (or pescetarian) traveling out of MUC (C Class)?
Pack a sandwich with you as backup.

In my experience, United gets special meal requests wrong (or missing) about 20-30% of the time.

I'd suggest going for the standard "vegetarian" option if you want to maximize your chance of actually getting a special meal, and to go for the "Asian Vegetarian" if you want to maximize the flavor.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 100% Green
What do you suggest for vegetarian (or pescetarian) traveling out of MUC (C Class)?
I'd suggest taking your chances on the normal offerings. My wife's a pescatarian and has been doing that for a while due to the even lower quality of the special meals. There's always been something she'll eat.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Solarmoon

In my experience, United gets special meal requests wrong (or missing) about 20-30% of the time.

I'd suggest going for the standard "vegetarian" option if you want to maximize your chance of actually getting a special meal, and to go for the "Asian Vegetarian" if you want to maximize the flavor.

Thanks. I guess I will stuff my pockets in the lounge, and buy something at the airport as well.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've always ordered reg vegetarian in/out of EZE, IAD, and FRA, all in Y. Have noticed that the menus seem to have changed for the better. For awhile the meal seemed to be the same out of each place.

However, in October IAD-EZE I had a very good meal -- not restaurant good, mind you -- with Indian spices and what seemed to be Israeli couscous. Very good.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:12 pm

100% Green, I did MUC-IAD a few months ago in C and I had the Cod with pine nuts and asparagus. Tasty. True that AVML is good as well, but like EZE living said it tends to be the same regardless of the route.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:21 am

On a related note, in Y class on LH the regular veg meal comes with a condiment/sandwich spread that is incredible. I've even been told by aFA that they hope the pax don't eat it so that they can use it themselves.

I was skeptical whether it was truly veg but have been assured it is. The name is 'Mildfein' or something along those lines.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:39 am

Why the hell can't they do something nice and simple for the veg meal with fresh ingredients? Something like a tomato, basil and mozzarella cheese sandwich, served cold on toasted ciabatta with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and a side of salad or something seems to be a refreshing break from the mush they serve on airplanes (and something that is tasty and can be done even in economy class). Must all airplane food look like baby vomit?

Seems to me that with refridgeration that would store better than whatever thing that looks like baby vomit with a limp side salad (that's what you get ehen you store salad with hot food for hours on end). I'd much rather be served a tuna sandwich that is great than an unidentifiable, insipid, disgusting whatever they serve on longhaul flights.

(begin angry rant on plane food)Oh, also, it is my albeit non-expert opinion that pasta dishes should NEVER be served on board an airplane unless the FAs are going to boil the noodles on board 6 minutes before service. Other dishes that should never be served on board include anything that is breaded and fried (the sitting in a hot cart for hours on end in a sauce in a nonporous dish makes them soggy), anything seared (ditto), pastries if they're going to be served hot (i.e. hot croissants, unless they're going to heat it up before service) and stuff like risotto and eggs that keep cooking as long as it stays hot (it might be perfectly cooked in the kitchen but by the time it gets to your tray table on board it's cooked to ....). I'll do fine for breakfast with a nice cheese danish, served cool or room temp, and some fruit and a tall mug of milk.

I'm not THAT hard to please-I just want food that tastes like...what it is, and a dish that tastes good, regardless of its simplicity. Sometimes simple is a good thing. (end angry rant on plane food)

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 3, 2008 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Why the hell can't they do something nice and simple for the veg meal with fresh ingredients? Something like a tomato, basil and mozzarella cheese sandwich, served cold on toasted ciabatta with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and a side of salad or something seems to be a refreshing break from the mush they serve on airplanes (and something that is tasty and can be done even in economy class).

I once had a nice experience with the veg meal on OS ex VIE-IAD (or the other way around, I don't recall). To your point, they served a nice (real) caprese plate of buffalo mozzarella, tomato slices, and balsamic vinegar on the side. Very tasty!

With the buns they serve one could easily have made the sandwich you mentioned.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:50 am

"Did you request a vegetarian meal?"
I believe that I did. (I requested asian vegetarian which is good enough if hungry).

"Did you move your seat?"
Nope.

"Let me check." ... "We must have given it to another passenger. I remember seeing your name. I will make sure that you get the vegetarian breakfast."

"Ok. I am sorry, but we gave away your breakfast too. I do not know what happened. We did have your requested meal though."
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by the_jeff
"Did you request a vegetarian meal?"
I believe that I did. (I requested asian vegetarian which is good enough if hungry).

"Did you move your seat?"
Nope.

"Let me check." ... "We must have given it to another passenger. I remember seeing your name. I will make sure that you get the vegetarian breakfast."

"Ok. I am sorry, but we gave away your breakfast too. I do not know what happened. We did have your requested meal though."
You must have my luck. I was going to post that 20-30% is generous - I estimate 95% of the time I have no veg meal.

Yet again I had a purser yell at me last week because I apparently did not do everything 'necessary' to board the meal - it is in my profile, I call at 72 and 48 hours prior to flight, I ask at the gate, and while boarding. Yet apparently that is not enough. I then asked for a RiteBite box and got a huge sigh, eye rolling, and a large lecture that they should be charging me. I handed back the box, said 'that's ok, don't worry about it', and closed my eyes to sleep.

This resulted in a lecture for the entire F cabin about my lack of initiative in ensuring that my veg meal was boarded.

The same purser gave me the same lecture in the same fashion a few months ago

As to other posts, MUC is great for veg meals in the LH lounge - I always have a very nice 'last supper' before boarding my long haul flights.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:06 am

This does unfortunately not work when using Nexus, which has a zero percent tolerance for bringing any food products. I have asked several times since inception and have been assured each time that not even mints or my emergency chocolate bar are permitted.

An early flight + Nexus + lack of connection + United = SOL
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I had a wonderful IVML meal on my p.s. redeye ex-LAX last week.

Large plate of black beans, corn, rice, mushrooms, red peppers. Served cold with a side of fruit and packaged pita bread. I was hoping for some plain yogurt too, but it was a good meal.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by exbayern

As to other posts, MUC is great for veg meals in the LH lounge - I always have a very nice 'last supper' before boarding my long haul flights.

Ditto for FRA. Hard to beat that potato salad LH provides! Wouldn't work for the vegans out there but it works for me.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
The PS Hindu/Indian Veg meals are excellent - had them back in August - it was actually a HUGE amount of food, all fresh and great tasting. Probably one of the best meals I've had on a plane (a USA carrier at least) in a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.