Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use 2 accounts to pay for trip?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Can I use 2 accounts to pay for trip?

I'm a newbie. I used to use Travelocity. I opened MilagePlus account for me and after different account for my wife. Never redeemed miles. Now we both have lots of miles, plus I got United credit card (connected to my account) and more miles.
So, the question is: Can I just join our miles or accounts? We fly always together.
I basically want to buy tickets using both miles. Is that possible?
Also, should I keep adding miles to her and my account or keep them all together in my MilagePlus?

Thank you for help.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:36 pm

If you have enough miles in each account book 2 different itineraries (one for you & one for your wife) -Round trip-from each account separately. Or you could book 2 different one ways & both be on the same itinerary using miles from one account each way. Transferring miles from one account to another is permitted, but a rip off in my book, unless you only need a few miles to have enough to obtain what you want for your partner.

Try to find saver fares as standard fares are double and not a very good use of your miles.

Good luck & have fun!!!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Welcome to FT janman74!

You can't combine miles between accounts. As stated, all you can do is pay to transfer up to 15,000 miles a year between accounts which isn't much of a deal.

I try and build up miles in just one account because that works better for us. As stated, booking one-way awards is the way to go if you don't have enough miles in one account for a round trip. You just won't be able to be on the same itinerary that way. If you take this route, call and have your reservations linked.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Welcome to FT janman74!

You can't combine miles between accounts. As stated, all you can do is pay to transfer up to 15,000 miles a year between accounts which isn't much of a deal..
Well, I've been using miles from my account and from MsHalls120s account for years. I've had no trouble using miles from each of our accounts. Maybe that has been a special 1K perk.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Well, I've been using miles from my account and from MsHalls120s account for years. I've had no trouble using miles from each of our accounts. Maybe that has been a special 1K perk.
but have you been able to fund a single ticket/upgrade funded from two accounts? I believe no. On a joint ticket, you could fund individuals from separate accounts but not simultaneous from multiple accounts.

However the real question, will this separate accounts approach still work on the new system? Could PMCO do this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.