Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world
channa - are you are aware of the difference between a "system" and a "policy of one of the legacy airlines"? Your post above is full of scary-sounding hyperbole, which you are presenting as fact while completely neglecting to point out that you have absolutely no clue about whether these items will continue in the new airline or will be changed (and if so, which ones).

Unless you have access to some inside information that I'm pretty sure you don't have access to, this is just another scaremongering post that isn't grounded in fact. Are there some points above that are related to a limitation of a specific system? Sure. Does this apply to all, or even most of them? Absolutely not. New members to this forum who aren't aware of your vendetta would be well advised to use caution before treating this as gospel.
"Hyperbole" = extreme exaggeration, which I don't see here. Please point out what's not factually true about his post (the only thing I see is that I *think* I heard they were switching to UA's "highest status on a PNR counts for UDU" policy, but not entirely sure).

Until we see some of these switch to the more friendly/efficient/beneficial systems OR policies that existed with PMUA, they're downgrades, plain and simple.

Feel free to start the "benefits of SHARES relative to UA systems" thread I jokingly suggested, maybe there are some we're not aware of.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
History -- CO's systems do not provide gate agents with detailed history on various aspects such as seat or schedule changes.
How does this relate to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11568920-post56.html :

So what really happened to my flight? - Getting the flight history out of FLIFO
If you want a printout of the flight history for documentation/compensation claims the agents at the airport can provide this to you. The correct command sequence is 2nnn*H where nnn is the flight number.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
"Hyperbole" = extreme exaggeration, which I don't see here. Please point out what's not factually true about his post (the only thing I see is that I *think* I heard they were switching to UA's "highest status on a PNR counts for UDU" policy, but not entirely sure).

Until we see some of these switch to the more friendly/efficient/beneficial systems OR policies that existed with PMUA, they're downgrades, plain and simple.

Feel free to start the "benefits of SHARES relative to UA systems" thread I jokingly suggested, maybe there are some we're not aware of.
Why would I start such a thread? I have no agenda here. Hyperbole is the perfect word to describe this post of channa's - nobody posting in this thread knows what policies will apply to the new airline. He is taking a set of policies and procedures that applied to an airline that is being phased out of existence and branding them as the policies that will apply going forward because he read on the Internet somewhere that the new UA will be using some of CO's legacy systems. It fits his agenda - no question about that - but it is sadly lacking any real facts, which none of us have at the moment. I feel an obligation to this community to point that out.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Why would I start such a thread? I have no agenda here. Hyperbole is the perfect word to describe this post of channa's - nobody posting in this thread knows what policies will apply to the new airline. He is taking a set of policies and procedures that applied to an airline that is being phased out of existence and branding them as the policies that will apply going forward because he read on the Internet somewhere that the new UA will be using some of CO's legacy systems. It fits his agenda - no question about that - but it is sadly lacking any real facts, which none of us have at the moment. I feel an obligation to this community to point that out.
So you're saying that this entire list of elements of SHARES & other policies is going to look drastically different come March? I have a bridge to sell you if you think the new UA isn't going to look like this list in two-ish months. Wonderful new functionality isn't likely to just magically appear.

I think the list is an excellent recap of many of the *changes* that PMUA flyers, for the most part, probably aren't familiar with (given likely limited PMCO exposure), and thus it's helpful to know that many of the things they're accustomed too may just not be possible going forward.

I myself now subscribe to (e.g., pay) EF due to the highly inconsistent ability of CO.com to properly process waitlisted upgrades - helps to have R alerts sent to you that you can then call in.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In other words, you have nothing to refute his assertions.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So you're saying that this entire list of elements of SHARES & other policies is going to look drastically different come March? I have a bridge to sell you if you think the new UA isn't going to look like this list in two-ish months. Wonderful new functionality isn't likely to just magically appear.
Read my post. There's a lot more to this than systems.

I think the list is an excellent recap of many of the *changes* that PMUA flyers, for the most part, probably aren't familiar with (given likely limited PMCO exposure), and thus it's helpful to know that many of the things they're accustomed too may just not be possible going forward.
If they were going to be heading off to fly on PMCO then yes, I agree. Very detailed. And irrelevant for the current environment.

I myself now subscribe to (e.g., pay) EF due to the highly inconsistent ability of CO.com to properly process waitlisted upgrades - helps to have R alerts sent to you that you can then call in.
As do I - very useful service. How you deemed that point relevant though is another story. You're talking about PMCO. We simply do not know what policies or technical procedures will be in place in the new airline. Without knowing these, the list that channa posted may as well be thrown in the rubbish - unless someone wants a historical guide of how PMCO operated in which case they can frame it for posterity. I'm certain that some of these will remain the same in the new airline - but channa certainly doesn't know which ones, nor do the rest of us.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 2, 2012 at 8:33 am Reason: off-topic
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mherdeg
That is the flight status history (e.g., flight cancelled due to inbound mechanical), not the history in the record (e.g., seat was changed at date/time by agent 123456 at IADCS).

channa - are you are aware of the difference between a "system" and a "policy of one of the legacy airlines"? Your post above is full of scary-sounding hyperbole, which you are presenting as fact while completely neglecting to point out that you have absolutely no clue about whether these items will continue in the new airline or will be changed (and if so, which ones).

Unless you have access to some inside information that I'm pretty sure you don't have access to, this is just another scaremongering post that isn't grounded in fact. Are there some points above that are related to a limitation of a specific system? Sure. Does this apply to all, or even most of them? Absolutely not. New members to this forum who aren't aware of your vendetta would be well advised to use caution before treating this as gospel.
I said in the original post to please post or PM if I'm off about something, so it can be fixed. I wish I were wrong about all of it, but I don't think that's the case. There are a ton of system limitations and differences with SHARES and its add-ons.

There's no vendetta. Talking openly about system limitations should ultimately benefit the airline. It sets expectations among PMUA customers who may not be as familiar with CO's systems and their limitations. Plus it lets the airline know where there is a deficiency so they can address it.

This way, come March, when PMUA customers, who are used to systems working more effectively, they don't get frustrated. If people's upgrades don't clear within the window but upgrade space is there, they don't go calling asking what's up. Or when an airport ticket reissue that used to take 1-2 minutes takes 10-15, they don't get frustrated with the agent thinking the agent's an idiot, but they recognize the system is more cumbersome. Or when they spot regional upgrade space but the upgrade doesn't clear, they know to call in and jump the queue. And so on.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Basic question

Basic question: What is "SHARES"?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
I said in the original post to please post or PM if I'm off about something, so it can be fixed. I wish I were wrong about all of it, but I don't think that's the case. There are a ton of system limitations and differences with SHARES and its add-ons.
You've created an excellent summary of PMCO's systems and policies. I'm sure it would have been very useful for newcomers to that airline in the past. No corrections needed that I can see.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Add another one to the list under the "reservations" category, which may not be specifically as a result of SHARES itself, but the web interface CO uses - we'll likely lose the ability to see both outbound and return options when booking a simple round-trip online.

On the other hand, moving to the CO site will hopefully allow us used to flying with PMUA to book using unused ticket value and vouchers (i.e. from VDBs, etc.) online.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
You've created an excellent summary of PMCO's systems and policies. I'm sure it would have been very useful for newcomers to that airline in the past. No corrections needed that I can see.
Seeing as the core of the PMCO reservations system (SHARES) will be used as the core of the new UA reservations system, it seems quite applicable to folks going forward. System limitations that are present today will likely still be present in six months.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Wow, very useful, thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Add another one to the list under the "reservations" category, which may not be specifically as a result of SHARES itself, but the web interface CO uses - we'll likely lose the ability to see both outbound and return options when booking a simple round-trip online.

On the other hand, moving to the CO site will hopefully allow us used to flying with PMUA to book using unused ticket value and vouchers (i.e. from VDBs, etc.) online.
Is the part I bolded above true? If CO allows for use of vouchers on-line, that is actually a pretty nice improvement from PMUA.

I struggled to purchase a fare while using VDB vouchers to time it correctly. Had to be a "perfect storm" to find some fleeting NC space during a time I could actually get to the airport to apply the vouchers and purchase the ticket.

A big thanks to Channa for putting this list out there. I have been delving into the PMCO forum to try and figure some things out. Based on the threads I have read, one thing is certain. There are some pretty fundamental changes coming down the pike for those of us used to the PMUA processes.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Thanks and with all due respect to channa's informative post, I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude about this. I've seen Apollo/Fastres/Fastair add functionality over the years, and I expect SHARES to improve as well. After all, they've had 1+ years to work on it. There is no excuse if UACO took our flying experience back to the stone age as far as IT is concerned.

I don't know if PMUA gate and res agents have been trained in SHARES yet. It would be interesting to get their take on the pros and cons.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Thanks and with all due respect to channa's informative post, I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude about this. I've seen Apollo/Fastres/Fastair add functionality over the years, and I expect SHARES to improve as well. After all, they've had 1+ years to work on it. There is no excuse if UACO took our flying experience back to the stone age as far as IT is concerned.

I don't know if PMUA gate and res agents have been trained in SHARES yet. It would be interesting to get their take on the pros and cons.
The GUI wrapper for SHARES (FastSHARES) is still in development and was supposed to come out at the changeover (with PMUA employees training for it). However, it's delayed and the March changeover is to SHARES and not FastSHARES. I'm not sure how well FastSHARES can be augmented though, tacking on things to it for functionality seems to be the PMCO approach to SHARES and it maybe the way forward. However, the EUA system is so buttoned up it could be very difficult to regain PMUA functionality.

All PMUA employees are going through SHARES training right now and from the few that I talked to so far, none of them like it. Not that I blame them, SHARES is a real relic and is related to one of the original IBM platforms that Pan Am used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.