Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 in n segments = 2P upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

1 in n segments = 2P upgrade?

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how on earth I was upgraded on a flight from ORD-SFO during Thanksgiving weekend (Sunday). I'm a lowly 2P, upgraded only once before since obtaining status, but I cleared at the 24-hour check-in window, with First showing 4 empty seats (out of 24) at the time.

This was a completely full mid-day flight with 182 people on board, on a route that's typically very elite-heavy. I'm normally something like #40 on the upgrade waitlist, and I don't think my fare bucket was significantly higher this time around.

What happened? This has me wondering if there might be an unwritten policy of automatically upgrading Premier members after a certain number of failed upgrades. Is it possible?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/*G, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AMEX Platinum
Wow... When I was originally reading, I thought maybe it was an empty flight. Not sure how you got upgraded, but just be happy you did.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by loudnotes
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how on earth I was upgraded on a flight from ORD-SFO during Thanksgiving weekend (Sunday). I'm a lowly 2P, upgraded only once before since obtaining status, but I cleared at the 24-hour check-in window, with First showing 4 empty seats (out of 24) at the time.

This was a completely full mid-day flight with 182 people on board, on a route that's typically very elite-heavy. I'm normally something like #40 on the upgrade waitlist, and I don't think my fare bucket was significantly higher this time around.
I have 2 *gusses*:

1. Higher lever Elites (business travellers) traveled today, not yesterday. So you were indeed highest on the list.

2. Higher level elites travelled with thier families (more then 1 companion) and were not trying to get seperated from the family.

This has me wondering if there might be an unwritten policy of automatically upgrading Premier members after a certain number of failed upgrades. Is it possible?
I don't see a emoticon, so I assume you are serious....

Zero chance this is any type of policy.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM SPG Gold
While it is an elite heavy flight, most elites fly for business and aren't flying on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. If they are flying on that day many elites are flying with families and unless they split the PNR won't get upgraded or if they do there is the touchy subject of who takes the seat in the front and who stays in the back with the kids. Just my $.02.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Your question can be answered simply - how many people were on the standby upgrade list at the airport? My guess is zero or very few. You were rightfully due the upgrade because you were the next in line to receive one. Enjoy and be happy.

-RM
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
What happened? This has me wondering if there might be an unwritten policy of automatically upgrading Premier members after a certain number of failed upgrades. Is it possible?
No, and I laughed when I read this. UA can't even get their webpage to work correctly much of the time. How in the world could they have a program that would track this correctly?

You just got lucky. I cleared several upgrades as a 2P this year on elite heavy routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.