Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Share Your Opinions About Being a Red Carpet Club Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share Your Opinions About Being a Red Carpet Club Member

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I got the same survey, got the same message and answered similarly. I also said in the comment that they should keep the price to whatever the person paid in the first year in consecutive years, sort of like rent control
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: UA MP
I pay $375/yr or whatever it is for the MP club card that includes a RCC membership. Worth every penny. I don't care if they're getting too crowded, taking away your peanuts, or the furniture is 20 years old, it's still better than not being in the lounge. I love that I can flash my RCC card even in places like Verona, Italy and have a drink and sit in a comfortable chair with near silence for a couple hours before it's time to fly home.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Doh! I didn't even know you could purchase it with miles. When I was in a rush to get RCC membership sometime (I usually get it with my international travel), my AU credit card wasn't excepted - no offer of using my miles.

It'd would be great if they extended the use of miles - for RCC, for co-pay, for Y meals, for E+ annual passes, for pillows in first , everything.

Can I, and I've missed it?

Back on topic, I do like that RCC is usually less crowded than the terminals. That's all really I use it for, so I'd take it or leave it. I'd really like the wifi to improve, showers put in, flexible access to private conference rooms..

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2011 at 4:17 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd be okay in them dumping the miles pay option (and thus paying cash) IF they stopped the parade of food "enhancements" and the likely elimination of the cappuccino machines in favor of the new Houston's Worst coffee.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:17 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Unless I was sitting on millions of miles, I would never spend them this way (maybe they're figuring that out). 47.5k miles are worth a lot more on a longhaul premium award than a $375 RCC fee.
The miles are "worth" more by that valuation, sure. But $375 would be another revenue flight for me, and I'd rather spend the miles on the RCC given I otherwise have plenty of miles.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd be okay in them dumping the miles pay option (and thus paying cash) IF they stopped the parade of food "enhancements" and the likely elimination of the cappuccino machines in favor of the new Houston's Worst coffee.
I made that point in my comment at the end of the survey: that the RCC is not worth cash to me without significant improvements in food and beverage options to members.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
I, too, enjoy having the miles option and renewed last year that way. I'd still renew if it were cash only, though... the CS help during IRROPS in the RCC is so much quicker and I've just grown accustomed to the slight reprieve from the terminals.

I reproduced the questions on my blog for those interested who didn't get the survey.

As a reader commented, CO doesn't offer the mileage option for PC membership, fwiw.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
The miles are "worth" more by that valuation, sure. But $375 would be another revenue flight for me, and I'd rather spend the miles on the RCC given I otherwise have plenty of miles.
Sure, to each their own. Choices are good. If there were no choices, then as soon as you reached 25k RDM, you would be automatically booked on a flight to Akron. So I'm glad there are options.

I made that point in my comment at the end of the survey: that the RCC is not worth cash to me without significant improvements in food and beverage options to members.
I would probably not pay more than $150 a year for the RCC in its current incarnation. A quiet seat is nice but $375 is not worth a few crackers and cheese cubes. And I have no interest in the bar.

If the RCC were something like an AC int'l MLL lounge, or a BA Galleries lounge, or (perchance to dream) had food like the SQ HKG lounge, then I might be willing to pay as much as $500 per year, assuming I was flying often like I did last year.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UNITED863
As a reader commented, CO doesn't offer the mileage option for PC membership, fwiw.
I wasn't aware that at all. I would assume take out the miles option would certainly make RCC drop at least 30-40% of the membership, as the price is keep getting higher, but no new amenities added. (unless they consider the free alcohol is the improvement, but that doesn't apply to me anyway as I don't drink period)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used miles for my RCC membership last year and got the survey yesterday. I thought it was a pretty weak survey but I made sure to put that if they took the option to pay with miles I'd be dissatisfied and fly United less. Let's hope they don't remove that option.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Last November I bought membership for the first time--with miles. Got the survey and wrote in the comments box that while I've been enjoying my membership, I'll never pay dollars for it and asked them to please keep the miles option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.