Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Miles for Lufthansa Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:46 am
Original Poster

United Miles for Lufthansa Upgrade

I can't seem to find up to date information on upgrading Lufthansa flights with United miles. I'm a 1 k , the flights are IAD- FRA- JNB for next August September. Any sources? key question is whether an upgrade is or can be confirmed when you buy the ticket
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:52 am

There are more threads on this than you would believe. Do a search.

In short, if using miles you can only upgrade YB economy to Biz and CD biz to first. You have to buy, ticket, and then call UA to request the upgrade. If it is available it will clear at the time of booking.

If not you can call daily up to 24 hours before departure. If you are a 1K you can also call to get a systemwide printed for a standby upgrade on day of departure only. But they are good for CDZYBMH fares.

Flights must be booked as LH flights, not UA flights.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:26 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please see: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52927,00.html
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
There are more threads on this than you would believe. Do a search.

In short, if using miles you can only upgrade YB economy to Biz and CD biz to first. You have to buy, ticket, and then call UA to request the upgrade. If it is available it will clear at the time of booking.

If not you can call daily up to 24 hours before departure. If you are a 1K you can also call to get a systemwide printed for a standby upgrade on day of departure only. But they are good for CDZYBMH fares.

Flights must be booked as LH flights, not UA flights.

Additionally, if it hasn't cleared (on request) 24 hrs before departure, you're not getting an upgrade using miles. Even if there are empty seats in the class you are trying to upgrade to.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can you find availability on ANA tool?

Of course, the logical thing to do is find availability, buy ticket, then apply miles. It does not make much sense to just buy at ticket, then call, only to find the upgrade is not available. Do you know if the ANA tool shows availability for LH upgrade using UA miles?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows whether the ANA or any comparable tool can be used to check LH biz class upgrade availability before purchasing in the context of getting an upgrade from YB using United miles. Is Starnet blocking a concern?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I am also bumping this thread.

I am looking to upgrade a LH flight from B class to business from FRA to JNB. Of course there are currently no upgrades available. Is there a tool available where I can check if upgrades become available instead of calling United every day? Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I'm on UA8897 BLR-FRA-SFO on a B fare. so, to try and upgrade the BLR-FRA via Lufthansa with miles, I need to call United?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.