Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers & Goodwill Certs" Thread (2011) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Combining UA Credits, Vouchers & Goodwill Certs" Thread (2011) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I wonder what the outcome would've been had the OP tried at say SFO, LAX or even a UX station.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by epiding
i think this ecert-hold-then-airport-typeB-ticket system only works for $ ecerts, and not the %-off ecerts.
Sadly, that is NOT my experience. My most recent "failure" to do this was on a $200 eCert. So, whatever the answer is, it is NOT the idea that it works for $ off, and not for % off.
Dave
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Originally Posted by goalie
Held a reservation on-line () for goalie-parents this morning as they want to use VDB credits (will go to SFO to ticket tomorrow) but I think i had a bald moment.....

Price per pax is $318 plus tax for a total of $636 before taxes on 1 PNR

goalie-parents each have one book of 4x$100 vouchers and want to apply 6 of them for a total of $600 but iirc, in order to use the $600, it would have to be on 2 separate PNR's applying $300 to each separate PNR, right?
It does not matter you have one or two PNRs.

CSR most likely will take 3 x $100 from one booklet and you pay $18 plus taxes for the difference. Once s/he finishes with first passenger, s/he will repeat the same for 2nd passenger. You still have 2 x $100 unused vouchers.
Ticketed this morning and what you described is what happened with one minor change.....the agent said to me, "you do know if I do "3 and 3", you won't be able to combine the remaining 2 x100 vouchers as they will be from separate books but if I do 4 and 2....."

Last edited by goalie; Mar 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Ticketed this morning and what you described is what happened with one minor change.....the agent said to me, "you do know if I do "3 and 3", you won't be able to combine the remaining 2 x100 vouchers as they will be from separate books but if I do 4 and 2....."
It was very nice of him/her. S/he bent the rule for you since you cannot combine vouchers from two different booklets with different serial numbers. S/he combined one voucher from booklet #1 and two vouchers from booklet #2.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bseller
Sadly, that is NOT my experience. My most recent "failure" to do this was on a $200 eCert. So, whatever the answer is, it is NOT the idea that it works for $ off, and not for % off.
Dave
So does it work with holding with %-off ecert, hen ticket at airport with type B voucher? I am hoping to do an international ticket like that.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i have a 680$ credit from when i cancelled a flight.
is this combinable with a 10% discount voucher?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
i have a 680$ credit from when i cancelled a flight.
is this combinable with a 10% discount voucher?
The problem is the 10% discount is likely online only and the canceled flight credit can only be done with an agent.

There is a chance the starting the booking online and using the FF hack to hold the ticket, you might then get an agent to apply the credit. Then again they might say no.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by lax2010
So does it work with holding with %-off ecert, hen ticket at airport with type B voucher? I am hoping to do an international ticket like that.
Based on my RECENT experience, it will NOT work at ORD. They are simply refusing to allow the use of Type B's when combined with E-certs. I dont have any reason to believe that % is different than $. YMMV.

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
It was very nice of him/her. S/he bent the rule for you since you cannot combine vouchers from two different booklets with different serial numbers. S/he combined one voucher from booklet #1 and two vouchers from booklet #2.
Yup-hence my "" (tho it was 4 from one book and 2 from the second book)
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by epiding
second thing - does anyone know what happens if we cancel a VDB-voucher-booked non-refundable fare? after the change fee, does the residual stay on my electronic account as a credit?
Not with VDB credit, but with Travel Credit Voucher, i've been successful in getting the residual value sent back to me in a travel credit.

I've also heard that using a fully refundable fare is a way to convert VDB vouchers into Travel Credit Vouchers, thus allowing more flexibility and combine options. I'm sure someone has done this and can chime in.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Service Check?

Please Delete

Last edited by emanon256; Mar 22, 2011 at 9:31 am Reason: Posted in wrong thread.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by emanon256
Has anyone received a Service Check before?

A little over a month ago I upgraded a 2 segment trip with a CR1. The second segment was canceled and I was rebooked the next day. F was allready full for the next day, so I flew in Y.

I asked about upgrading on the second segment and explained the CR1, etc. (It was the longer of the two). The agent apologized and handed me a Service Check for 5,000 miles. She said that was the maximum she could give me in this situation. Ive never received one of these before.

It's on Boarding Pass stock, says Service Check on top, and then has a message that says 5000 miles will be deposited into MP Account Number: and my account number.

I figured the miles would appear in my account, but seeing as it's been over a month and they have not credited I thought I would ask here if anyone else received on of these and when they got the miles?

Thanks!
Probably a better question for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post16066717
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm planning to book a trip for 2 passengers (myself and a companion). I have multiple e-certs... is there a trick is getting this done online?

Would rather have us on a single PNR than booking two different trips and then calling to "merge" the two different itineraries.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Azurik
I'm planning to book a trip for 2 passengers (myself and a companion). I have multiple e-certs... is there a trick is getting this done online?

Would rather have us on a single PNR than booking two different trips and then calling to "merge" the two different itineraries.
First question is whether you are sure those certs are combinable ... if not, you'd book separately so you'd be able to use certs for each. YOu'll need to call in and ask for the ressie to be held, then either mail the certs in or head to an airport within 24 hours for ticketing

Retain copies of the certs mailed "just in case" , and if going to the airport, check the transaction carefully. The ticketing fee should be waived since they make you book through an agent, it is not by choice.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Azurik

Originally Posted by GoingAway
First question is whether you are sure those certs are combinable ... if not, you'd book separately so you'd be able to use certs for each. YOu'll need to call in and ask for the ressie to be held, then either mail the certs in or head to an airport within 24 hours for ticketing

Retain copies of the certs mailed "just in case" , and if going to the airport, check the transaction carefully. The ticketing fee should be waived since they make you book through an agent, it is not by choice.
E-Certs are not to be mailed in. Only to be entered on the website or applied through Web Support via Telephone. You can't use more than 1 E-Cert at a time OR use 1 e-cert for >1 pax online -- Web support may be able to help you out. There is no merging of PNR's -- only linking but that doesn't really do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.