Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
LH C

LH C is great in its food and service. The seat, however, is not very good because of its angle. But for sitting, it's fine.

Personally, I'd take the LH Y risk over the UA Y risk. SFO-FRA in UA Y is that old 1970's video screen in the B747 or the new B777 3-3-3 configuration, which sucks hard.

The beauty of LH Y is that you've got an amazing AVOD for your 10 hours. You have tons of videos & movies to distract you from the pain of the flight. Plus you generally get better food on LH than you do on UA.

So LH C seat is inferior to UA C seat, LH C food is better than UA C food, but for me, UA Y entertainment is just horrible, and I would take the LH Y seat with a great AVOD. LH Y seat is shorter pitch, but for me, I'd rather have a great AVOD in a small seat than E+ watching the 1970's projector screen in the middle.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yyzprincess

For all 4 flights I used my UA SWU. All cleared well in advance. None went to the gate.
This has been asked several times without response. When you say 'cleared in advanced' you're talking about at checkin... is that correct?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
LH C is great in its food and service. The seat, however, is not very good because of its angle. But for sitting, it's fine.

Personally, I'd take the LH Y risk over the UA Y risk. SFO-FRA in UA Y is that old 1970's video screen in the B747 or the new B777 3-3-3 configuration, which sucks hard.

The beauty of LH Y is that you've got an amazing AVOD for your 10 hours. You have tons of videos & movies to distract you from the pain of the flight. Plus you generally get better food on LH than you do on UA.

So LH C seat is inferior to UA C seat, LH C food is better than UA C food, but for me, UA Y entertainment is just horrible, and I would take the LH Y seat with a great AVOD. LH Y seat is shorter pitch, but for me, I'd rather have a great AVOD in a small seat than E+ watching the 1970's projector screen in the middle.
This advice, of course, should only be followed if one is incapable of bringing their own entertainment. Should you have an iPad/laptop with ability to display programming/magazines/etc., UA Y+ >> LH Y. Moreover, if you get the upgrade on UA to C, I'd argue IFE on IPTE > LH AVOD.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:47 pm

You said that UA doesn't codeshare the SFO-FRA A380, but I booked a ticket about a month ago on that route (codeshared as UA8828). Did they stop code-sharing?

Here's a question on-topic - since I booked the code-share as a "Z" fare, do I have any options for upgrade to "F"? Without SWUs? Generally I assume a codeshare is not-upgradeable.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:17 pm

Agree

Originally Posted by UNITED959
This advice, of course, should only be followed if one is incapable of bringing their own entertainment. Should you have an iPad/laptop with ability to display programming/magazines/etc., UA Y+ >> LH Y. Moreover, if you get the upgrade on UA to C, I'd argue IFE on IPTE > LH AVOD.
I agree with this. If you have good entertainment, then clearly UA E+ is much better. That extra 4 inches makes a huge difference over time. I however, have no home entertainment to bring on the plane, so I need it all to be provided to me. Otherwise, I'm bored silly. Thus, the AVOD for me is very important. It's the only time that I ever watch movies anymore.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
For all 4 flights I used my UA SWU. All cleared well in advance. None went to the gate.
Can you explain exactly what "well in advance" means? It's been a few years since I Was at JNB, but it used to be none of the SWUs cleared anywhere except at the gate (downstairs).

Are you saying it cleared at checkin? Before checkin?

Just curious.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This has been asked several times without response. When you say 'cleared in advanced' you're talking about at checkin... is that correct?
it's safe to say that it means at check in. there is no way SWU upgrades on LH get cleared in advance, they wont put you on the waitlist...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I need to go to Zurich in the fall, and UA is definitely code-sharing on this flight. Take a look at UA 8828 on September 7. That's LH 455, which is an A380 route. I'm considering going SFO-FRA-ZRH and gambling w/ a SWU. The ticket would be for my girlfriend and I. We would be on the same PNR. I'm a 1K. She has no UA status... How does clearing go in that regard? Obviously it's a risk but i'd prefer for us to either both get it or both not...

Also, if it's a code-share, still the same process for using the paper SWU?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PATRLR
Can you explain exactly what "well in advance" means? It's been a few years since I Was at JNB, but it used to be none of the SWUs cleared anywhere except at the gate (downstairs).

Are you saying it cleared at checkin? Before checkin?

Just curious.
I do FRA-JNB-FRA 2/3 time a year.
Other posters are correct. Mine clear at Check-in.I do online Check-in at 23/22 hours. Never have had to wait at the gate for upgrade to clear.
When I arrive at JNB or CPT airport, I go to the Check-in give them my BP & Paper SWU & LH Rep takes me & if there are other First Class passenger to First Class Lounge.

As most of my Premium fares to South Africa originate in SEA I also have had similiar success with SIN-FRA .

I do not fly LH from North America . No experience there.

I happen to know someone at LH JNB station who lets say should know LH operations very well. Couple of years ago suggest steps I should take 48 hours before the flight I want to upgrade .(works only if Seats are available in First)
I followed the individual's advise & have been doing so since & I assume this helps in not having to wait at gate for the upgrades to clear.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:45 pm

You go to the airport?

I do FRA-JNB-FRA 2/3 time a year.
Other posters are correct. Mine clear at Check-in.I do online Check-in at 23/22 hours. Never have had to wait at the gate for upgrade to clear.
When I arrive at JNB or CPT airport, I go to the Check-in give them my BP & Paper SWU & LH Rep takes me & if there are other First Class passenger to First Class Lounge.

As most of my Premium fares to South Africa originate in SEA I also have had similiar success with SIN-FRA .

I do not fly LH from North America . No experience there.

I happen to know someone at LH JNB station who lets say should know LH operations very well. Couple of years ago suggest steps I should take 48 hours before the flight I want to upgrade .(works only if Seats are available in First)
I followed the individual's advise & have been doing so since & I assume this helps in not having to wait at gate for the upgrades to clear.
But you must do this in person with the paper SWU. Do you drive to the airport the day before to get this done?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I flew JNB-FRA on a Thursday on the A388 a couple of weeks ago. LH Senator on a full C-fare.

I applied two of my Senator upgrade certificates to the flight (takes two LH upgrades for an inter-continental flight). All eight seats available at the time of booking. Waitlisted.

Flight went out full in F (showed F0 about three days before the flight).

I flew in business and you don't want to be in business on LH. Old recliner seats on UA are better.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Does LH Y class from SFO-FRA serve free alcohol? That might make up for the small seats...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by huicity
Does LH Y class from SFO-FRA serve free alcohol? That might make up for the small seats...
Yes, but no it doesn't.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yes, but no it doesn't.
For you and I perhaps it doesnt, for others it could be a deal breaker. Free Booze on a 9-12 hour flight for someone who likes to drink a lot could be a huge bonus.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:42 pm

Related to this topic, if I am on a Z-fare on a LH codeshare for an A380 flight, do I have any options for upgrade to the F suites (as a 1P)?

- Star Alliance miles? Website seems to indicate blocked for A380?
- Barter for a SWU and use it day-of?
- Does LH do cash buy-ups?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.