Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold
OR Tambo International - JNB

O.R. Tambo in Johannesburg, South Africa had many upgrades and expansions for the World Cup 2010. Lots of interesting shops, restaurants and room to sit, wait or walk around. On long layovers I often go up on the mezzanine in the older part of the terminal where it is quiet, open chairs and power outlets.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold
For those of you that have vacationed in Jackson Hole, WY, the new JAC airport gate area is beautiful. Comfortable leather chairs surrounding tables, fireplaces, lots of seating, and a gorgeous view of the Tetons and the runway. They use a contracted security company, so no TSA. That, and you are either going skiing, or you're on your way home from a great ski vacation
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by harryhood
Love DCAs small size, short security lines, and the ability to go from gate to parked car in 3 minutes.
+1

DCA is indeed great for quick departures and easy access to the city. Unfortunately, a major renovation of the main terminal was done just prior to 9/11, and thus the best restaurant, service and waiting areas were built outside the security perimeter (and those businesses have suffered accordingly). Thus, it is admittedly not the best airport to hang out it once you are inside the security perimeter -- the actual concourses are fairly drab and not so well appointed in terms of amenities. But whether you are flying on business or pleasure, the convenience of getting in and out quickly can't be beat.

The other less well-known thing that DCA is really great for is meeting arriving passengers. There are huge floor to ceiling windows in the main terminal from which you can actually see planes pulling up to the gates, as well as planes taking off and landing in the distance. I find it is rare these days to have such a great view of operations while still outside the security perimeter. This feature makes it a particular great place to take small kids -- my nieces and nephews have been fascinated by the ground activity, and thrilled on several occasions to see their mom/dad/grandparents' actual plane arrive or depart from the gate. Admittedly, this particular feature of the airport is not much of a boon those who are actually traveling; however, spending time at DCA, especially on a bright sunny day reminds me of times when air travel conjured up fun and romance, instead of long security lines in dark tunnels. And for that reason as well, it will always remain a favorite of mine. ^
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
My criteria: access, terminal layout, gate-to-curb time

I like: SIN, MUC, SAN
I dislike: FRA, IAD, SFO, BKK, LAX
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kmrau

Are you referring to the old BKK or the new BKK? The new BKK seems to me very well organized, clean and pleasant. Good fast train to downtown.

My likes include PDX and EUG, both relatively small and efficient, free wi-fi, great UA and UX personnel. Whatever they told you on the 1K line isn't permitted, just take it up with the GA and it's done.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Like: MCI, DEN, ORD
Dislike: IAD

MCI is a great home airport for the lone reason that there are no lines for anything. If a relative doesn't drop me off 50 feet from my gate, I only wait 3 extra minutes for an economy parking shuttle to deliver me at my gate. I flew out a dozen times last year and never waited in a regular TSA or premier check-in line for more than a few minutes. Free WiFi. Arriving, I usually get off the plane first and walk 50 feet to my personal ride to my car via the shuttle that is happy to take one person instead of waiting for more Oh yea, best part is hardly any elites, so >90% UDU as a 1P.

I like DEN/ORD because I can walk around a lot and get exercise.

Everything about IAD screams cheap (except the giant tram things, which scream 1960s futuristic). One nice thing is the FiveGuys near the A gates. Not a fan of the 4 mid-east arrivals immigration cattle call at 7am either.

Last edited by TheBagman; Mar 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm Reason: wifi
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
I really dislike FRA out of all the 235 airports I have travelled through

BIG +1 ^

FRA is by far the worst airport I have flown through. Big transit spot for UA, but no RCC. No IFL. The Senator lounges are WAY WAY WAY over crowded. You often pass security (sometimes twice!) WITHIN secure areas (changing flights). Bad news is that I have to visit there at least 8-10 times per year.

FRA. BAD.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by StingWest
Just came out of there (Terminal 1) - didn't see one! But I was using the fast track security.

I know LHR has a bad reputation, but except for the long distance you have to walk to get to Arrivals, it's not too bad in my opinion. The new gates in Terminal 1 have nice light and high ceilings. If you sign up for IRIS, you can be through immigration in seconds. There are a choice of at least 3 trains (including the Tube) to get downtown, depending on how fast you want to get there, and how much you want to spend.

Compare this with CDG, one of the worst designs I've ever seen for a major airport, and the RER train to downtown is very inconvenient to use.
LHR's nude-o-scopes are not visible. They are in another room. Also, their process lends itself to severely racially/ethnic orientated discrimination.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
100% agree here. Both locations have great UA ground staff.
At least one of BUF's CSRs is former cabin crew, so she has a really interesting prospective. I hadn't done BUF in quite a while, thanks to the cheaper fares into YYZ after Redwood showed up (hope AA and DL keep the pressure up, but I doubt it), but everyone remembered me and gave me big smiles and hellos.

YYZ people are just amazing. So proactive and always want to care for us. They even take good care of the AC *G really well from what I've seen.

Originally Posted by kmrau

If gate-to-curb is a priority, why in the world would you dislike LAX?

Originally Posted by blueman2
BIG +1 ^

FRA is by far the worst airport I have flown through. Big transit spot for UA, but no RCC. No IFL. The Senator lounges are WAY WAY WAY over crowded. You often pass security (sometimes twice!) WITHIN secure areas (changing flights). Bad news is that I have to visit there at least 8-10 times per year.

FRA. BAD.
RCC was landside, so it didn't help much. The LH Senator and Tower Lounges are really nice anyway. As far as passing security twice, blame the US for that, not FRA.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: Too Many
Best-SIN, HKG, & NRT (though its too far from downtown)
Worst-JFK, IAD, & ORD
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
+1

DCA is indeed great for quick departures and easy access to the city. Unfortunately, a major renovation of the main terminal was done just prior to 9/11, and thus the best restaurant, service and waiting areas were built outside the security perimeter (and those businesses have suffered accordingly). Thus, it is admittedly not the best airport to hang out it once you are inside the security perimeter -- the actual concourses are fairly drab and not so well appointed in terms of amenities. But whether you are flying on business or pleasure, the convenience of getting in and out quickly can't be beat.

The other less well-known thing that DCA is really great for is meeting arriving passengers. There are huge floor to ceiling windows in the main terminal from which you can actually see planes pulling up to the gates, as well as planes taking off and landing in the distance. I find it is rare these days to have such a great view of operations while still outside the security perimeter. This feature makes it a particular great place to take small kids -- my nieces and nephews have been fascinated by the ground activity, and thrilled on several occasions to see their mom/dad/grandparents' actual plane arrive or depart from the gate. Admittedly, this particular feature of the airport is not much of a boon those who are actually traveling; however, spending time at DCA, especially on a bright sunny day reminds me of times when air travel conjured up fun and romance, instead of long security lines in dark tunnels. And for that reason as well, it will always remain a favorite of mine. ^
I second this. I just flew into/out of DCA for the first time a few weeks ago and LOVED it. I couldn't believe how close it was to D.C. proper (took me maybe 15 min via the Metro) and the fact that the metro stop was only a short walk from the terminal. I think ATL is the only other major airport I can think of with this kind of convenience (LAX, SFO, BOS, JFK and EWR all require you to take a bus to the metro stop, which is somewhat annoying after a transcontinental flight). Any others I'm missing?

Also agreed on FRA. I was shocked when I had to take a bus from my plane to the actual terminal. Took an extra 15 minutes which, again, after a long flight can be exhausting.

MCI is pretty small given KC's size, but I really liked the fact that the gates were SO close to the airport entrance.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Skacorica
I just asked a question in another thread, which prompted me to do a search and I found a few threads related, but no definitively titled one.

What do you guys find to be the best airports you frequent? How about the worst? What I mean is flight timeliness/reliability, connections, staff availability and friendliness, and overall experience?

I realize there are different classes of airports (comparing John Wayne to LAX is obviously not a fair comparison) but in general?

I am fortunate that my home base (DIA) is fairly reliable and generally have helpful staff. The fact that the land is huge and there are a lot of runways means not a lot of delays.

On the other hand, I have to connect through ORD quite often and I am almost always delayed, the staff seem much more rude in general, and I always feel a bit unhappier after having spent time there.
International:

The best in order of preference: SIN, HKG,BKK, ICN, NRT
The worst by far: MNL

Domestic (my most frequently visited airports): DEN, SFO (good), PHX, LAX LAS, SLC (OK) MSY (horrible, both facility and service)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
FRA always seems to have huge area under construction/maintainence
Perpetual construction seems to be a German thing. There is one major stretch of road heading to the airport where work has literally been ongoing in different spots for ten years now. My gripe with FRA is the parking. Used to be you could park in the P4 section, particularly near 227 if you were lucky, and walk straight into the terminal. Now virtually that entire level of the garage save for a few sections near A has been given over to private companies. All this while the rates to park have skyrocketed. It is something like 125 euros for five days.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:50 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sorry, but I'd say FRA is far from well-functioning. Any airport that regularly uses stairs for mainline flights (including 747s) is a third-world airport.
While FRA is an abomination ... compared to CDG it is well-functioning.

For transfer I'd still claim that IAD is more racist and CDG is more idiotic than FRA. FRA is not evil by design, it is just a symbol of political imbecility.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd definitely have to rate LHR as the worst for one reason - the nude-o-scope. As long as it's mandatory, we won't fly there.
Did not run into it in 4 recent crossings.

Do you also not fly via SEA or SAN or DFW for that reason?
Originally Posted by Micara
Best, IMHO is SIN with lots of interesting areas to roam, free internet terminals, shops, etc, and all post security areas connected.

I would say ICN is very nice as well, for similar reasons, as is HKG.
ICN is much nicer than SIN. Lounge wise especially. And they don't have the idiotic security at the gate thing. And you can avoid the bland and politically correct Singa food.

HKG would be a whole lot nicer if they did not do the cavity search while boarding UA.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by harryhood
JFK is horrendous.
I really don't understand the JFK hate. Other than the DL terminals, they're all fairly new & nice or renovated. T7 security can be annoying, but the RCC is always fairly light, you're 1 min from the gates, and they just totally redid the whole place w/new food and shopping. Haven't been to the AA/B6 terminals, but they're supposedly great.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum; WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I really don't understand the JFK hate. Other than the DL terminals, they're all fairly new & nice or renovated. T7 security can be annoying, but the RCC is always fairly light, you're 1 min from the gates, and they just totally redid the whole place w/new food and shopping. Haven't been to the AA/B6 terminals, but they're supposedly great.
My main issue with JFK is how long it takes to get into the city from the airport, particularly if you're taking the subway (LIRR isn't so bad). It's annoying to have to take Airtrain to the station, then transfer to the A-C-E. If you live on the westside, you're looking an over an hour.

Other than that, I don't really have any issues with JFK --I think it's fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.