Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunding an award ticket after the fact

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Refunding an award ticket after the fact

(Something I've never tried to do, so I'm not sure.)

Is there any issue refunding an unused award ticket after the flight? Or do you need to do it before the flight departs?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
(Something I've never tried to do, so I'm not sure.)

Is there any issue refunding an unused award ticket after the flight? Or do you need to do it before the flight departs?
As you are 1k and the ticket hasn't been used, you should be able get the refund.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
I gifted an award ticket to a friend and he didn't use it, and told me afterward, I got my miles deposit back to my acct, it was several years ago.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by karung99
I gifted an award ticket to a friend and he didn't use it, and told me afterward, I got my miles deposit back to my acct, it was several years ago.
Does anyone know if this also works for *A award ticket after the original departure time?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
As a 1K yes, I did this with an LH flight last year for my SO when work ended up changing her travel plans. I did call the day of the flight, but it was after the flight had departed. I did have to call back once a few days later when the miles hadn't shown back up but it wasn't because I had been denied them the first time.

I have even done this on UA after having checked in for the flight, unchecking myself in the RCC and then calling to have the miles redeposited. A process I use to get to see my SO off at the gate.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I thought you have to cancel your award ticket by end of day of first segment. On the other hand, award ticket is valid for one year from issuance.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I thought you have to cancel your award ticket by end of day of first segment. On the other hand, award ticket is valid for one year from issuance.
Rules for award tickets are different from paid tickets
In a recent award ticket promo, the T&Cs contained
Any valid unused award ticket or certificate may be returned to the Mileage Plus Service Center for a service charge up to two years from the date of issue.
so at least a year after orginal flight date
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Rules for award tickets are different from paid tickets
In a recent award ticket promo, the T&Cs contained so at least a year after orginal flight date
Thanks for the info. It is good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.