Search

So what exactly is an unpublished fare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
So what exactly is an unpublished fare?

I did a search on this and found lots of reference to published versus unpublished fares but not really anything that determines the difference between the two. This is interest to me due to the double EQM obviously. Is it safe to assume that if I buy a ticket over the phone from the 1K desk it is a published fare? Where do unpublished fares come from. I bought T fare from UA, how would I go about determining if it is a published fare? Thanks to anyone for help.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Virtually nothing you can buy from UA will NOT earn you miles - IMO.

Often UA sells fares to TA's at well under the usuual rates. Most often OUTSIDE the USA. These often have say $3000 on the paper ticket and will cost you say HALF that.

These are for fare basis not "seeable" by UA and are "unpublished."

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from UA 747-400 exit row 15A near you SOON!
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer your question if you quote a fare basis code to a UA rez for a ticket you bought off UA and they can bring it up on their system I think you can safely assume it is "published" for the meaning of the EQM promo.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:07 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
To answer your question if you quote a fare basis code to a UA rez for a ticket you bought off UA and they can bring it up on their system I think you can safely assume it is "published" for the meaning of the EQM promo. </font>
Not necessarily. If it's something like V82739/WEB20 (20% off web fare), it might not be considered a published fare.

If the people over the phone will sell you that fare (not just look at it after purchase), then it's virtually guaranteed to be published. The web, ticket brokers, etc., each have their own sub-markets. As far as I know, telephone reservations is not a sub-market -- makes it easy to get ripped off via telephone.

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children

[This message has been edited by JS (edited Nov 23, 2003).]
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are lots of unpublished products. For example:

1) Anything that is "web-only" such as weekly e-fares or weekend specials that are only purchasable on the internet or on certain websites.

2) Special fares that are sent to select travel agencies - aka consolidator fares. While in some cases, some actually have fare basis codes printed on the ticket, some also do bulk ticketing which do not state the fare.

3) Certain wholesale or group fares, or some fares that are only to be used in conjunction with a travel package (air/hotel/cruise, etc).

Basically the main difference between published and unpublished (or private) fares is that the whole world has access to them (and other carriers), and the latter are only accessible via certain distribution channels.

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!

The views expressed here are not necessarily supported by United Airlines and its subsidiaries, nor do I represent the views, aims and/or opinions of United Airlines.

[This message has been edited by UnitedSkies (edited Nov 23, 2003).]
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:

Not necessarily. It it's something like W82739/OBTZ20 (20% off web fare), it might not be considered a published fare.

</font>
As I posted it would IMO qualify for the double EQM which was the question in this thread.

I have not read of anyone buying ANYTHING off United Rez on United metal (other than staff fares etc) that does not accrue MP miles etc - or EQM in these kinda promos.

------------------
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
UnitedSkies, web fares like weekly e-fares and other such specials certainly ARE published fares. According to one UA rep I asked, ANY fare from any United advertisement or web site is a published fare. Makes sense to me.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:59 am

Government fares (and I'm assuming also fares purchased at a corporate rate) are considered non-published. Given this, I've found that the majority of my travel is ineligible for special bonus mile promotions.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnitedSkies:
Basically the main difference between published and unpublished (or private) fares is that the whole world has access to them (and other carriers), and the latter are only accessible via certain distribution channels.

</font>
contradicts with

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Originally posted by flyinbob:
UnitedSkies, web fares like weekly e-fares and other such specials certainly ARE published fares. According to one UA rep I asked, ANY fare from any United advertisement or web site is a published fare. Makes sense to me. </font>
I don't think there is any clear cut answer. I would like to think that any fare that is released to all CRS' in a public tariff would be a published fare, and everything else isn't, but then that would make products such as Efares unpublished and some government fares published. And I would understand how an Efare on ual.com can be considered published. So I don't think there is a clear-cut answer.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

whlinder - I think you'll find the answer I gave works fine.

Members of the public CANNOT get on the phone and buy travel agent AD50 fares, tour leader fares, Government fares, UA staff fares, award tickets, companion tickets etc, etc.

As I posted I can never recall reading on these boards of a revenue fare that is freely buyable from UA by the public NOT getting miles into your account.

This applies to E-fares, super discount specials, one day fare match promos etc. We may not offically be able to UPGRADE all these fares, but will they accrue MILES is the question asked. And unless someone can post an exception they will also get double EQM for current promo if you are registered.

------------------
Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

E-fares are most certainly not published. Published fares can be purchased anywhere - travel agents, online, etc. because they are public.

E-fares are purchasable only from certain internet sites such as the carrier's own website and some internet travel agencies.

The fact that you cannot purchase an e-fare from reservations, or a regular travel agent means these are unpublished, or private fares. More importantly, other carriers can not see what you have in the private world unless they go through a separate channel (such as surfing the internet on a competiting carrier's website, subscribing to special e-fare e-mails, or having competitive info from travel agencies).

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!

The views expressed here are not necessarily supported by United Airlines and its subsidiaries, nor do I represent the views, aims and/or opinions of United Airlines.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 6:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnitedSkies:
E-fares are most certainly not published....

</font>
Interesting... This is a quote from the United website:

"International E-Fares give you the chance to explore the world at a price you can afford. International E-Fares are PUBLISHED on Tuesdays for purchase by Friday. Valid for departure on Monday through Thursday with a return the next Monday through Thursday. International E-Fares get you in the air quick and give you enough time to see it all."

Link:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50065,00.html

Hmmmm... United seems to think that e-fares are "PUBLISHED" fares.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Give that man 40 lashes Sargeant .....
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:49 am

UnitedSkies: So does UA consider all fares in public tariffs published fares, and all fares in private tariffs unpublished fares?

Can UA res. see all fares in all systems that are unpublished, even if UA can not sell the fare?

Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the word "published" is a little bit misleading. What the wording on the UA website points to is that e-fares are "offered" on the UA website during that time frame. They are not offered to travel agencies, etc.

In the airline industry, the only fares that are published are those that go to everyone.

Technically, even online fare sales may not be published. For example, AA would have an online fare sale that travel agencies would not have access to - and hence, neither can UA respond to those fare actions UNLESS the analyst at UA spots them on AA's website.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.