Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Having trouble finding out how many UA miles needed for JFK-MLE on EK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:20 am
Original Poster

The agent is telling me it would be 50k for econ, 100k biz, 135k for first. But on UA mileage website it is saying it would be 210k first class from JFK-DXB.......its not adding up with what agent is tell me..... need help. looking at traveling biz or F class to Male (MLE)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Maldives is considered Central Asia per Mileage Plus Awards destination guide
North America to Central Asia is 60K/120K/160K for saver
DXB is Middle East 75K/115K/145K for saver

Not sure how you found 210K -- standard business award for Europe?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Flying on emirates the mileage is different. Showing 210k to fly just to middle east in first class.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
The agent is telling me it would be 50k for econ, 100k biz, 135k for first. But on UA mileage website it is saying it would be 210k first class from JFK-DXB.......its not adding up with what agent is tell me..... need help. looking at traveling biz or F class to Male (MLE)
UA says it's 135K for F "Between the United Arab Emirates and Greece, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Maldives or Bangladesh" -- see here. My guess is that's what the agent is reading. Actually, reading the chart, I wonder if North America-Central Asia awards on EK are even possible. There's only mention between NA and the Middle East for 210K as you note above.

Could JFK-MLE possibly be 210k+125K=335K for F?!?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
If you are redeeming UA miles for an EK seat they are priced per segment. Thus each segment needs to be purchased with more miles. It adds up fast.

210k for NA-Middle East

135k for UAE-Maldives

Both in F. 345k total! Wow. Also no A380 availability I believe with UA miles.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by schley
If you are redeeming UA miles for an EK seat they are priced per segment. Thus each segment needs to be purchased with more miles. It adds up fast.

210k for NA-Middle East

135k for UAE-Maldives

Both in F. 345k total! Wow. Also no A380 availability I believe with UA miles.
Do you know this bit about segments for a fact, or are you speculating?

The UA page says "Between North America and the Middle East" is 210K in F, not 'Between North America and the UAE.' So if I fly JFK-DXB-CAI, would it be 210k+120K=330K or just 210k?

Also, there is A380 availability, at least if the other thread on this topic (can't find it right away) is correct. (It used to be no US-DXB redepmptions period.) As long as there is the EK equivalent of saver awards, you can book them.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:54 am

FWIW, I attempted to redeem UA miles for two Europe-Mahe Island, Seychelles tickets on EK and it was as the previous poster mentioned - one award for Europe-Middle East, and another award for Middle East-Africa. The miles and taxes required were ridiculous and we passed.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Related thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...irates-ek.html
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by as219
Do you know this bit about segments for a fact, or are you speculating?

The UA page says "Between North America and the Middle East" is 210K in F, not 'Between North America and the UAE.' So if I fly JFK-DXB-CAI, would it be 210k+120K=330K or just 210k?

Also, there is A380 availability, at least if the other thread on this topic (can't find it right away) is correct. (It used to be no US-DXB redepmptions period.) As long as there is the EK equivalent of saver awards, you can book them.
It is as I posted. This isn't a new thing that just came out. There is no need for speculation for I and others have facts, use them.

I have attempted to use UA miles to book trips to both Mauritius and the Maldives and NA-DXB. I should have rephrased to say that first class on the A380 wasn't made available with UA miles. Zero seats for as far out as she looked, basically all winter. If there isn't a policy that forbids this, they simply don't make this available IME.

Also you have to request the award with UA but they have to request the seats even though they show as available. You have to call back in a couple days and you know the answer if they granted the request for the seat or not. Very time consuming for closer in awards.

As to your question about miles needed for NA-Middle East I honestly can't remember as I was going to DXB anyway. I know all their longhauls route through DXB thus they may have reworded that award so as to not charge you for the connecting segment. Would be a nice perk for South America as well. Call them and find out, you have a dog in this fight, let us know.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:16 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...irates-ek.html
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: 1K, UA 2 MM
[QUOTE=WineCountryUA;15631649]Maldives is considered Central Asia per Mileage Plus Awards destination guide
North America to Central Asia is 60K/120K/160K for saver
DXB is Middle East 75K/115K/145K for saver

A small point but the miles required for NA to Central Asia is 80k in economy (saver award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.