Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short connection in DEN? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by Rishabh87
I have to make a BUR-DEN-BWI (6420/784) connection tomorrow. I have 41 minutes to connect.
If you really get 41 minutes (i.e. inbound on time, etc.) you will be fine. Meaning you will make it before they close the door. But it won't be stress-free.

A quick Google Earth guestimate suggests it's about 2/3 of a mile.

Last edited by FortFun; Jul 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm Reason: ETA: GE estimate
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by FortFun
If you really get 41 minutes (i.e. inbound on time, etc.) you will be fine. Meaning you will make it before they close the door. But it won't be stress-free.

A quick Google Earth guestimate suggests it's about 2/3 of a mile.
I grabbed seat 1D on my BUR-DEN so that should help a little bit and I've been hitting the gym regularly so hopefully that helps if I have to run, haha. That being said, I've been noticing that 6420 keeps arriving about 10-15 min late despite departing on time. I am also checking a bag, but I'm not holding out hope that it'll arrive in BWI with me - I won't have anything vital or time sensitive in it.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FortFun
... But it won't be stress-free.
Concur.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: Star Alliance Silver, Hertz Gold
Short layover after LGA-DEN flight

So, I just cashed in some UA miles for a Tahoe ski trip -- LGA-RNO via DEN. I guess I was a little bit excited about all the winter fun, because I neglected to notice that my layover for my outbound flight is only 54 minutes long.

I'm a CO flyer now getting used to UA through the merger, so I'm far more familiar with EWR departures than LGA. Is a 54-minute layover at DEN a recipe for disaster, or is my 8AM departure time out of LGA reliable enough unless there's a snowstorm or something?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
LGA at 8am is generally ok - I'm frequently on ORD/DEN flights at that time of the day. It can vary a bit though depending on the runway configuration in use, but most of my flights departing at 8-9am have left very quickly.

You can look on Flightaware at actual departure / arrival times to get a bit more scientific data (scroll down to look at previous days):

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...212Z/KLGA/KDEN

DEN is pretty easy to transit as well - it is well organised.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Silver, Hertz Gold
Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
While the UA concourse at DEN is pretty long, they've got moving walkways down both sides, so it's fairly easy to get from one end to another in less than 12~ minutes. RCCs are at both ends, if you're a PC or RCC member.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

38 minutes between flights in DEN, doable?

Is this doable: arr 7:31AM (Friday) and dep 8:09AM

No checked in bags, all flights mainline United.

Cheers!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Going to be running...

Good thing- you are in the same terminal.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by malgudi
Is this doable: arr 7:31AM (Friday) and dep 8:09AM

No checked in bags, all flights mainline United.

Cheers!
You can likely find some advice here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...en-merged.html

If you really get all 38 minutes, that means you have 28 until they close the door. Certainly doable, but above my personal stress threshold. Also, they will start boarding 8 minutes after you land, so bin space will likely be sparse when you get there.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Wow - assuming both flights are on time, depends on what time you actually get off the plane, how fit you are, and how far apart gates of your connecting flights are. Even with mainstream UA flights, I have had huge hikes. Good luck!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
5,000 Feet

Not the distance between gates, but the altitude at the airport. If you are inbound from sea-level, the hike at Denver w. carryons isn't the route to go. I've done it because I've had to, but I would avoid it if there's any reasonable alternative.

If the outbound is oversold and you are 10 secs. past T-10, it's easy to bump you without compensation.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Glad I'm in good shape if I have to make a dash for it (fingers crossed) I'm flying MSP-DEN-SFO, hope the later flights to SFO are not sold out if I end up misconnecting.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I ended up with 15 minutes on my last BWI-DEN-LAS flight. I made it, it sucked. And yes, the air thing is real - I live near sea level and I was REALLY sucking some serious wind.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Emerald Club Elite Exec
very doable

38 mins should be good as long as your inbound lands on time and your not stuck waiting for a gate to open up.

I can walk from one end of the B concourse to the other with my backpack (20 Pounds) and gym bag in roughly 8 to 10 mins (using the speed walks).

You can ask the FA once landing to annouce passagners coming in have tight connections if everyone could please stay seated while those with thight connections get off first may help you out.

best of luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.