Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Have I gone too far, am i abusing the flat tire rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA

I'm booked on 6:39am BOS-LAX flight continuing on to SIN on Nov 12, But I just found out I have to be in another city until 8pm the night before, and the earliest flight won't get me in until 8:30 am.

I know the right thing to do would be to change the ticket, but i'm very flexible with my arrival time in SIN, and don't mind standing by at all. Would it be possible to OLCI and then show up at the gate 2 hours late looking to standby.

The change fee + fare difference is simply too much to bare, and my only other option would be to drive 10 hours through the night.

Do you guys think this would be crossing the line, and abusing system, has anyone else pulled a stunt like this before?

Last edited by spkg; Nov 3, 2009 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:41 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I've done it on WN within CA, not on UA and not internationally.

It should be possible, just make sure you show up WITHIN 2 hours. Another option is to call 1K desk and ask them to reconfirm you on a later flight 3 hrs (or is it 4 hrs?) before the flight. Not sure if this'll work with an int'l itinerary.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
I've done it on WN within CA, not on UA and not internationally.

It should be possible, just make sure you show up WITHIN 2 hours. Another option is to call 1K desk and ask them to reconfirm you on a later flight 3 hrs (or is it 4 hrs?) before the flight. Not sure if this'll work with an int'l itinerary.
What happens if i arrive after 2 hours?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
I don't really understand your situation, but standby on international flights is not permitted.

On domestic flights you can standby for any flight on the same day (same routing or switching to nonstop). If you are ticketed for the first flight of the day you can standby for the last one (obviously risky, but perfectly allowed), and the other way around.

Edit: I think I understand now. If taking the later flight out of BOS makes you lose the connection to SIN (there are no nonstop flights to SIN, I guess you're going via NRT), then you're definitely not allowed to standby for a later flight. (Some agents might do it for you but don't count on it.)
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Edit: I think I understand now. If taking the later flight out of BOS makes you lose the connection to SIN (there are no nonstop flights to SIN, I guess you're going via NRT), then you're definitely not allowed to standby for a later flight. (Some agents might do it for you but don't count on it.)
Really? wow, good thing i came here and asked, well looks like i'm looking at a 10 hour drive the the night.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
what city are you going to be in? can you fly to LAX from there? or perhaps take the train? there are some trains deep into the night on Amtrak. or bus. driving 10 hrs overnight would be real rough!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by closetasfan
what city are you going to be in? can you fly to LAX from there? or perhaps take the train? there are some trains deep into the night on Amtrak. or bus. driving 10 hrs overnight would be real rough!
I need to be in YXU the night before, no direct flights, and flights from nearby cities won't get me there in time. and since driving would just get me there in time, i don't think bus or train will be an option.

As for flying to LAX, i don't think UA will let me fly after i skip the first segment.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by spkg
I need to be in YXU the night before, no direct flights, and flights from nearby cities won't get me there in time. and since driving would just get me there in time, i don't think bus or train will be an option.

As for flying to LAX, i don't think UA will let me fly after i skip the first segment.
As a data point I once had a situation where I had to skip the first leg of a trip and I only had to pay the change fee, no fare difference. Never hurts to call and ask.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vkng
As a data point I once had a situation where I had to skip the first leg of a trip and I only had to pay the change fee, no fare difference. Never hurts to call and ask.
maybe the fare difference would have been in your favor in that case, or else this would defiantly something that could be taken advantage of my people living in hub cities.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by spkg
maybe the fare difference would have been in your favor in that case, or else this would defiantly something that could be taken advantage of my people living in hub cities.
That's definitely possible, but I explained my situation and after a long talk with a supervisor the phone agent came back and said it would be $150 though she had tried to get it all taken care of.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
man, that's a rough drive to make in 10 hours. Frankly you might not even make it there on time! Is there anything you can do? I see flights out of Buffalo to BOS about 9:30, Detroit to BOS 9:55 ish. Or do a re-route and see if you can fly out of Cleveland in the morning to connect with your new *A partner Continental to Lax (CO 735 at 8:45 AM?) . Good luck in any case

Last edited by closetasfan; Nov 3, 2009 at 6:27 am
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vkng
That's definitely possible, but I explained my situation and after a long talk with a supervisor the phone agent came back and said it would be $150 though she had tried to get it all taken care of.
yeah, even if i could get the agent to do that for me, the only flight that'll get me to lax before my 11:36am flight to NRT is a DL flight that costs $674. It sucks to be time constraint and budget constraint.

Originally Posted by closetasfan
man, that's a rough drive to make in 10 hours. Frankly you might not even make it there on time! Is there anything you can do? I see flights out of Buffalo to BOS about 9:30, Detroit to BOS 9:55 ish. Or do a re-route and see if you can fly out of Cleveland in the morning to connect with your new *A partner Continental to Lax (CO 735 at 8:45 AM?) . Good luck in any case
The problem is the BOS-LAX flight leave at 6:39 am. no flight gets in that early. and any reroute would also cost too much for me. I think i should make the drive in time, it says 10 hours on google, but i have a lead foot.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 3, 2009 at 6:35 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Driving 10 hrs alone, in the wee hours of the morning is easier said than done.
You still may have to go with your other option if you fail to make it to the gate on time.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TigerWould
Driving 10 hrs alone, in the wee hours of the morning is easier said than done.
You still may have to go with your other option if you fail to make it to the gate on time.
Point taken, but i do 6 hour drives regularly, so i think i should be able to handle 10.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:04 am

Maybe UA would be nice enough to let you begin your trip in Syracuse at 0550 the next morning, connecting to LAX through IAD and arriving at 10:56. Once upon a time UA let me change a flight MRY-SFO-ORD to SJC-ORD, but that was six years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.