Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cocktails on UA (Intl/Domestic F & C). Do the FA's know what they're doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2000, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

On a recent trip to CDG on a 777 (flying paid C) I asked the FA to make me a "Long Island Ice Tea" one of my favourite cocktails, and certainly my drink of choice.

The response I got from the FA's:

French : Qui? (what?)
American: We don't have that on board.

After meal service, I spoke to the FA's in the galley and asked an FA the following questions

Do you have gin?
Answer : Yes

Do you have tequila?
Answer: Yes

Do you have rum?
Answer : Yes

Do you have vodka, coke?
Answer: Yes, yes.

Then you can make me a long island ice tea!

I wrote the recepie down and showed the poor old woman how to do it.

You'd think UA FA's recieve training to do this. I have no problem being served cocktails on AA or for that matter SQ (the Singapore Sling is awesome!)

Because of this, I normally stick to the second best on my list, bacardi and diet coke (which is the easiet to make)

Any other flyertalkers have problems getting the FA's to mix drinks?

[This message has been edited by meFIRST (edited 12-06-2000).]
Old Dec 6, 2000, 5:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
They're flight attendants, not barmaids!

------------------
danville 1K
Old Dec 6, 2000, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Before flying UA regularly, I've had the privillage of flying BA,AF,AA,TW (lots of that), CO, DL in F and C class, international and domestic.

I've had no problem ordering cocktails when traveling first/business on other airlines. UA seems clueless about cocktails.

AF I can safely report has the best bar, and the best cocktail/wine service I've seen. Better than SQ, IMHO.
Old Dec 6, 2000, 5:51 pm

Just curious, what type of cocktails do many of you folks order during your flights?
Old Dec 6, 2000, 6:03 pm

Originally posted by danville 1K:
And remember on UA, they are onboard primarily for your safety

Seriously, you've gotta cut them some slack. Even I wouldn't know how to make a Long Giland Iced Tea
Old Dec 6, 2000, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I think expecting a LI Iced Tea is probably beyond what could FA's could reasonably be expected to know. As for SQ's sling--bear in mind that it is Singapore's national cocktail.

That being said, it is reasonable to expect an FA to ask, "How do I make that?" before proclaiming, "we don't have that."
Old Dec 6, 2000, 6:08 pm
mjm
Original Member

On an ORD-NRT flight, I asked the FA for something light and interesting because it was daylight and she came back with an Amaretto and orange juice. Pure Heaven! Try it and see what you think.

Credit to the FA for that little tip.

Mike
Old Dec 6, 2000, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Yeah man...they're flight attendants! Go get your booze on the ground!

My favorite is gin & tonic. Got gin? Yes. Got tonic water? No? Use your cologne instead (I had a gin & tonic on DL one time and it smells like someone's cologne. I tracked the FA who did it by matching the smell. )

Jamester
Old Dec 6, 2000, 7:30 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Hey, imagine this! Thanks to cookies I get to post as Auh20 this one time! And what an appropriate thread to do it on

Anyway, my comment was going to be: "What part of 'neat' don't you understand?"

OK, dumping cookies now!

Signed,
auh2onutz
Old Dec 6, 2000, 7:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
That auh2 guy is BRILLIANTLY funny
Old Dec 6, 2000, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I couldn't agree with this thread more. I've had so many lousy experiences with UA flight attendants not wanting to/knowing how to make one of those flaming cocktails. Isn't that what they learn at those schools? I'll be they're really wasting their time learning about passenger safety or how to deal with pissed of elite flyers.

First we have trouble getting the drinks containing 25 liquors we want, next they'll tell us no more dancing in the aisles.

Old Dec 6, 2000, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam

The last post touches on the source of the problem: you're asking for a drink that uses four different alcohols, each of which come in single-serving containers. Either you're going to get well on your way to drunk, they find somebody else who wants the same alcohols in partial servings, or they waste a goodly portion of same.

All in all, I can see why they stick to alcohol-and-mixer types of drinks.
Old Dec 6, 2000, 8:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
In the past six years of flying, I've rarely had anyone request anything other than the standards (Bloody Mary, Gin and Tonic, etc.) except for:

Vodka Collins - easy but we don't have collins mix on the plane - used 7up and lots of lemons.

Manhattan - my personal favourite, but no sweet vermouth on the plane (let alone a decent maraschino) BUT I improvised and this guy was really pleased with my faux concoction. Guess my practice at home pays off....

Absolutely the WORST drink requested (which I happily supplied - it was actually so bad sounding it was funny) was Diet Coke and Red Wine on the rocks. To this day, I can't imagine....
Old Dec 6, 2000, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Russe noir.

Them: How do you make that?

Me: Vodka and Kahlua on the rocks.

Them (About 30% of the time): I'm sorry, we don't board Kahlua on this flight.

Me: Yes you do.

Them (About half of the time if we've gone this far): Oh, you're right. Here's your drink Mr. Love. Enjoy.

Them (The other half of the time if we've gone this far): No sir. We don't have Kahlua.

Me (After getting up and going to the galley and showing them where it is): Ah, here we go...Kahlua!

Them: My goodness! I never knew we boarded Kahlua this early.

Me: I'll have the breakfast sampler with that.
Old Dec 6, 2000, 9:46 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
Ahh, yes. Amaretto & OJ. Quite a pleasant drink, indeed (when he's not out looking for the "real" killer). I first heard of it on a CO flight EWR-DCA. Had one several days later. I love them.

My aunt calls them "creamsicles." Keep that in mind the next time you have one...it really does taste like it.

PremEx:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.