Search

United Airlines to lay off 414 at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
United Airlines to lay off 414 at SFO

Seems like just a few months ago that UA was floating the idea of selling off the SFO maintenance facility. Looks like they're going to take a hit there no matter what.

United Airlines has told the union that represents its mechanics at San Francisco International Airport that it will lay off as many as 414 workers beginning Dec. 7, as part of its efforts to contain costs.

The workers will be shed in what is the second round of layoffs announced this year. The first round ended Friday, during which time 137 workers departed with an involuntary furlough, with recall rights, said Paul Molenberg, business agent for Teamsters Local 856 in San Bruno, one of two locals representing approximately 3,000 mechanics at the United Airlines Maintenance Facility at San Francisco International Airport.

United said in a statement released Tuesday: "As we reduce the size of our fleet and take actions companywide to enable United to compete in this challenging economic environment, we must take the difficult but necessary step to reduce the number of people we have to run our business."

The layoffs are part of the "ongoing effort to size the company appropriately," said United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski.
rest of the article HERE
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I'll bet a lot of those lay offs will be 737 mechanics.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:05 am

Programs: WWMFD
I predict the trans-Pacs from SFO will suddenly start developing "maintenance issues" while waiting for departure.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by kcvt750
I predict the trans-Pacs from SFO will suddenly start developing "maintenance issues" while waiting for departure.
I predict that VX just found a new maintenance staff.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lightman7
When you park 100 airplanes, you simply don't need as many wrenches. No real surprise. AA is trimming employees in all classifications as it parks several dozen airplanes, including 34 widebodies, the AB6 fleet.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:27 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by kcvt750
I see this happening as well. I would like to make the point that the frustrated employees should realize that the passengers and customers should not be the subject of their wrath as it is managament that has made these decisions.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I predict that VX just found a new maintenance staff.
VX uses Lufthansa Teknique at SFO.

On another note, I feel sad for the employees at the SFO MOC. Having been lucky enough to tour that facility last year, I know they take great pride in the work they do.

One employee I spent a fair amount of time with had previously been furloughed and had been recalled. Here's hoping this downturn is short lived and UA Services can get additional contracts with other carriers to bring some jobs back into the center.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
VX uses Lufthansa Teknique at SFO.

On another note, I feel sad for the employees at the SFO MOC. Having been lucky enough to tour that facility last year, I know they take great pride in the work they do.

One employee I spent a fair amount of time with had previously been furloughed and had been recalled. Here's hoping this downturn is short lived and UA Services can get additional contracts with other carriers to bring some jobs back into the center.
A carrier that is currently in expansion mode (???) and can afford to pay the going rate at what must be one of the most-expensive facilities to operate in the country.

This (the SF Peninsula) is where I live. It's also where I prosper or bleed, or wonder how long before the next blood-letting, meaning that it's outrageously expensive to live here. If things go even slightly south, I have to watch my business very closely, or there won't soon be a business to watch.

The thing about airplanes is that they've got wings. Handy little gadgets that allow them to fly to locations that might be more central to an operation and have lower prevailing wages. Those things become quite relevant in all the but very best times.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Will probably put a damper on the employee open house this Sunday.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lightman7
Since it's a union shop, I'd bet that it'll be the mechanics with the lowest seniority.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Since it's a union shop, I'd bet that it'll be the mechanics with the lowest seniority.
Hard to say. If the job skills are not transferable, that might not hold (though I don't know what the contract actually says).
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
...beginning Dec. 7...

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a good old fashioned layoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.