Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New UA Promo: Redeem miles for your United flight discount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:55 pm
CMV
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold

Just got in my in box:

As a valued member of United's Mileage Plus, you now have another unique way to redeem the miles you've earned. From July 5 to July 31, 2005, you can redeem 2,500 miles for a $25 e-Certificate off your next qualifying, roundtrip flight purchased on united.com with a minimum fare of $250 — excluding taxes and fees.

To redeem your miles, please click here.

You may redeem miles for multiple e-Certificates. Once you have redeemed your miles, you will be sent shortly, via e-mail, an e-Certificate for your $25 discount. Each e-Certificate is valid for one flight discount only. Certificates cannot be combined for a multiple, dollar amount discount.

Be sure to continue to visit united.com often for special deals, mile earning-opportunities and to book your flights. Be assured that united.com will always have the lowest United fares...guaranteed!

Enjoy your discount and we look forward to seeing you onboard United.

PS Reminder: when you use your e-Certificate, or whenever you book a qualifying flight on united.com, you earn a 1,000 mile booking bonus*!

Terms & Conditions

Redeem 2,500 Mileage Plus miles for a discount e-Certificate in the amount of $25 good toward your next purchase on united.com for travel on United®, United Express® or TedSM within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada. Miles must be redeemed by July 31, 2005.

e-Certificate Terms & Conditions

Discount Amount: $25 off a minimum fare of $250 (exclusive of taxes and fees) on a qualifying roundtrip flight purchased at united.com.

Ticketing period: July 5, 2005 through October 31, 2005

Travel period: July 5, 2005 through January 31, 2006

Valid Carrier: This discount may be applied to United, United Express and Ted operated flights, but not to flights operated by other airlines (such as United-marketed code share and Star Alliance flights).

Valid Routing: To take advantage of this discount you must travel within the domestic 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada during the above travel period.

Qualifying Fares: This discount may be used on published United First® (F, A), United Business® (C, D, Z) or United Economy® class (Y, E, B, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T or L) fares of $250 or more per roundtrip for qualifying travel within the 50 United States Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or Canada.

Restricted Fares: This discount may not be used on the following fare types: internet-only fares, companion, travel industry G class, contract, bulk, convention, tour conductor, children, family plan, government, group, military, senior citizen, student, youth, infant, tour basing, Round the World, Circle the Pacific, Visit USA, or any non-published fares.

Fare Rules: The published fare you qualify for depends on what class of service is available on the days you travel. Some markets may have lower fares available without the discount. You must travel roundtrip on United, United Express, and/or Ted. Open jaw and circle trips are not allowed. This discount may not be used when you travel one-way.

Maximum number of passengers per electronic certificate: 1

Blackout Dates: None

Ticketing: You may redeem this electronic certificate on united.com only. Discount only applies when ticket is purchased on united.com using the certificate number and a credit card that has a valid U.S. billing address. Electronic certificates cannot be redeemed by calling United Airlines or your travel professional.

Fulfillment: Electronic certificates will only be delivered to a valid e-mail address.

Electronic Certificate is valid towards qualifying roundtrip flight purchase of a $250 minimum fare at united.com between 12:01 am CST July 5, 2005 through 11:59 pm CST October 31, 2005 only, for travel July 5, 2005 through January 31, 2006.

Eligibility: Offer valid for recipients of this mailing who reside in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands only.

Mileage Plus: Mileage Plus miles will not be redeposited into the member's account once redeemed for an electronic certificate. During the offer period, multiple electronic certificates may be redeemed using miles. The passenger may also accrue Mileage Plus miles with this discount. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus miles offers are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus® program. United may change the Mileage Plus program rules, regulations, awards and special offers or terminate the Mileage Plus program at any time and without notice. Mileage Plus participation may not be permitted in some countries. This award may not be valid where prohibited or restricted by law. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit united.com.

Upgrades: To determine if an upgrade certificate may be used together with this discount, refer to the terms and conditions and booking class restrictions associated with each upgrade.

Changes/Refunds: The rules of the United fare you purchase will determine what changes or refunds are allowed. Any refund due is based on the amount actually paid. The electronic certificate discount may not be reapplied toward the purchase of another ticket when exchanging or refunding your original ticket, except when the original ticket qualifies for a reduced fare (guaranteed airfare rule applies). Check with United.

Important Notes: Not all flights are eligible for an electronic certificate discount. In some instances you may find flights that are not electronic certificate eligible, because they have already been discounted and are less expensive than the electronic certificate eligible flights. This discount may only be applied toward the purchase of one new ticket and may not be applied to previously ticketed reservations. Electronic certificates may not be combined with other electronic certificates or other United Airlines promotional discounts for each united.com booking. This e-Certificate is transferable, but void if sold or bartered.

Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. MPD985

*E-Fares and award travel are not eligible for the 1,000 mile booking bonus offer. Bonus miles will be awarded to the passenger booking the flight(s). The passenger booking the flight shall be the united.com registered user logged into the web site. Mileage Plus membership number must be provided at the time of purchase in order to receive the bonus miles awarded in connection with this offer. Round trip travel required. A roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel beginning in the outbound destination city back to the first origin city with all segments on United, Ted, or United Express. One-way and open-jaw itineraries do not qualify, nor do United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers. Qualifying flights must be posted to the Mileage Plus account to qualify for this bonus. Bonus miles do not count toward Elite status. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United Mileag e Plus program. Please allow 4 to 8 weeks after completing qualifying travel activity for bonus miles to be posted to your Mileage Plus account.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Link

Here's the link. It just came into my box too. Mine was 5k for $50, no minimum fare.

http://tinyurl.com/duhpn

Last edited by ChgoBob; Jul 5, 2005 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Seems kinda crappy to me... Its only worth it if you're looking to use a 40k award travel ticket, and the fare came out to be less than $400.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Looks like there is some advantage to status for this promo - here's what my email said:

Dear kykate,

As a valued member of United's Mileage Plus, you now have another unique way to redeem the miles you've earned. From July 5 to July 31, 2005, you can redeem 10,000 miles for a $100 e-Certificate off your next qualifying, roundtrip flight purchased on united.com.

To redeem your miles, please click here.

You may redeem miles for multiple e-Certificates. Once you have redeemed your miles, you will be sent shortly, via e-mail, an e-Certificate for your $100 discount. Each e-Certificate is valid for one flight discount only. Certificates cannot be combined for a multiple, dollar amount discount.

Be sure to continue to visit united.com often for special deals, mile earning-opportunities and to book your flights. Be assured that united.com will always have the lowest United fares...guaranteed!

Enjoy your discount and we look forward to seeing you onboard United.

PS Reminder: when you use your e-Certificate, or whenever you book a qualifying flight on united.com, you earn a 1,000 mile booking bonus*!

Kate
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by shazbot
Seems kinda crappy to me... Its only worth it if you're looking to use a 40k award travel ticket, and the fare came out to be less than $400.
Shazbot, you aren't taking into consideration the fact that you can use this discount on a mileage earning flight, as opposed to an award ticket that doesn't earn miles.
Kate
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA & SPG
I am 1k and got the $25 off $250 promotion, not the $100 off promo.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Didn't AS have a cash+miles program a few years ago (do they still?) that allowed you to use some mixture of cash and miles to purchase a ticket.

I wonder where UA is going with this. Sure, it's a good way to burn miles, but won't it hurt the airline's cash flow??

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I'm a 1K and I only got the $25 off e-mail. Worthless in my mind.

I wish UA would do the alaska type deal where you could do 1/2 miles and 1/2 $$'s....

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Mine is 7000 miles for $100 e-cert.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i'm a 1k and mine said 20,000 miles for a $250 cert
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a good deal!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA & SPG
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:20 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
3500 Miles for $50 Off

I got a different one... 3500 miles for a $50 certificate.

I'd love to know the formula they're using for this one... miles in the bank + status + fare types?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:23 pm

Personally, this doesn't strike me as a great deal either but I guess different people have different needs.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:24 pm
CMV
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
What is the minimum ticket price the cert. can be used on?

For the $25 cert., it is $250.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.