Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

USING "AROUND THE WORLD" PROMOTION - CAUTION!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:12 pm
dcr
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, Hyatt Gold

We recently cashed in credits from the UA "Around the World" promotion (earned by flying out of WAS airports in the past year) for two international tickets. These tickets come out of the Saver Award pool, and we had to search out into November to find something decent that would fit our schedules. We originally booked them IAD-CDG.

However, a short time later, our future travel availability changed, and we learned that we would not be able to travel at the time we had booked.

I called UA 1K desk to try to change the tickets to IAD-LHR in May, which I had determined were available in the Saver category. However, the UA rep, after confirming with her supervisor, told me that these special promotion tickets, once booked, can ONLY be changed as to dates (with a $100 fee), and not as to DESTINATION.

With limited IAD-CDG flights, we were unable to find any other available dates to CDG within our travel parameters (now through July).

SO BEWARE WHEN BOOKING THESE PROMO FLIGHTS, THAT ONCE YOU PICK YOUR DESTINATION, YOU'RE STUCK WITH IT.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry about your situation.

Guess they're sticking with the terms the offer that has an "unstuck" fee of $100.

Free Ticket Itinerary Changes:

No changes can be made after ticketed departure date for any portion of the ticket. Changes made before departure are subject to a service charge of $100USD/$136 Canadian Dollars.

Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Why the fuss? They are simply adhering to their own quite fair rules.

It's like booking a fare with a $200 (or 100%) cancel fee and then warning everyone to use 'caution' before booking it.

We do already.

Glen

Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Sorry about your situation.

Guess they're sticking with the terms the offer that has an "unstuck" fee of $100.

Free Ticket Itinerary Changes:

No changes can be made after ticketed departure date for any portion of the ticket. Changes made before departure are subject to a service charge of $100USD/$136 Canadian Dollars.

but where does it say that you can't change the destination for a change fee of $100 before the ticketed departure date?
Old Apr 10, 2005, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
if this was a mile award, you'd have to pay to redeposit your miles and then rebook the ticket for the destination you want - there is no "undo" with this promo, that had been spelled out. if this was a purchase ticket, you would have been hit for the $100 fee and the balance is applied to the new ticket. In both cases, the ticket is new not a change.

I'm not going back to read the rules, but tickets (award or purchase) don't let you create a new one by just eating a $100 fee and not starting from scratch as to pricing. Sorry, but this is not a surprise.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:34 am
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Is it true that you have to submit a request, wait for some paper to arrive in the mail, then you have to have 7 days in advance ticketing?

In order to use the credits?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Not sure about the 7 day advance ticketing part, but yes - you request the certificate. Wait for it (4-6 weeks) and then call to make your reservation. You need to mail the certificate to UA that day and they'll ticket when they receive it. It's a convoluted process, to say the least.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Not sure about the 7 day advance ticketing part, but yes - you request the certificate. Wait for it (4-6 weeks) and then call to make your reservation. You need to mail the certificate to UA that day and they'll ticket when they receive it. It's a convoluted process, to say the least.
Just booked two "regional domestic" promotion tickets last week. The reservations agent had never heard of the promotion until my call, and had to consult with a supervisor. Since the travel will be the end of this month, she advised me to go to the airport for the actual ticketing.

At the airport, I was charged $10 per ticket for ticketing. The agent there apologized for the fee but said she had to charge it. Not a big deal to me -- I was just glad to have found dates and times in XY class that worked for me (going price of the tickets would have been $260 each).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.