Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus Seats for Family

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Not sure of your aircraft type, but it always helps to leave a seat in between the 2 E+ passengers. For example, if you're on 57s to KOA (good chance of that), book the A and C seats, leaving B open. Not many people are keen on taking middle seats when the outer two are already booked. There's a good chance the "B" seat will be empty on the day of the flight.
Unless both pax have status, UA won't allow this...the seats have to be next to each other.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:38 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Why do they have such an inane policy?
I think it's a great policy. If I were flying last minute on business on a high fare ticket, and I couldn't get an E+ seat because they were filled with people who don't belong there, I'd be mighty peeved.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DENPremEx
They have such an "insane policy" because without a limit on the number of people things would get out of hand. For example, let's say I am traveling with 9 of my friends from DEN to HNL and I'm the only one with status. I make the reservation put all my buddies in E+. There's a good chance some 1Ps, 2Ps or 1Ks may not be able to get an E+ seat.
I don't want to fly with 9 friends -- but it would be nice to be able to fly with my wife and two kids in E+ without playing the seat carnival game.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:08 am

What I have done at times (and this is relatively pricey) is to book my wife using a Standard Award (= eligible for E+). A Y/B/M fare would do the trick as well. Expensive, yes, but may be worth it on long flights.

Does anyone know if a Standard Award or YMB fare can bring along another companion into E+?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 2P... just 2P.
Originally Posted by Morrissey
Unless both pax have status, UA won't allow this...the seats have to be next to each other.
That is untrue. UA allowed me to do this BEFORE I had status. Agent booked me on a 744 in 33EG and said "hopefully for you, DF will remain empty.

They didn't. Plane left full.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by rufus102
That is untrue. UA allowed me to do this BEFORE I had status. Agent booked me on a 744 in 33EG and said "hopefully for you, DF will remain empty.
The rule is that the two seats have to be together if only one person is elite and you are sitting in the E+/Premier section.

33EG on the 747 are not E+/Premier.

BillJ
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 2P... just 2P.
Originally Posted by wcj1
The rule is that the two seats have to be together if only one person is elite and you are sitting in the E+/Premier section.

33EG on the 747 are not E+/Premier.

BillJ
Gotcha. thanks for the correction.

I don't have that problem any more (thankfully).
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Hopefully the OP is on the new 777 run ORD-OGG-KOA.
Don't think that will happen, unfortunately.

That will be the 777 "Greyhound Special" config...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:41 am

I've got a similar situation. Mom (2P) me and my brother (both general) are on SNA-SFO-HKG. I called the agent and they put me and mom in E+ and brother back in E-. They split the ITN making two sepearte PNR's. My question is will my brother get the middle E+ seat and how likely is it that all 3 of us will get op-up on the SFO-HKG in mid-Dec (I'm not that worried because only 3 fare classes left as of today!)
BTW, I totally respect the policy of 1 non-elite in E+.
Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:01 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
...and how likely is it that all 3 of us will get op-up on the SFO-HKG in mid-Dec (I'm not that worried because only 3 fare classes left as of today!)
I'd say you're more likely to win the lottery !
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:13 am

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
and how likely is it that all 3 of us will get op-up on the SFO-HKG in mid-Dec (I'm not that worried because only 3 fare classes left as of today!)
Most unlikely for all three as there are so many 1Ks on this route. Wish you luck though.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:03 pm

I have said this before, but since it's brought up here again, I'll repeat it again. I understand the 1 companion rule for E+ and have been the beneficiary from it many times with last-minute travel. However, I think family (companions) of an elite member (limited bya certain number, by family relations, or both) should have a slightly earlier crack at E+ seats over general members who get placed theer by chance because there are no E- seats left.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Morrissey
A short question: Is it OK or not if there is an aisle in between (i.e., both pax take aisle seats "next" to each other)?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by JAPGUY
A short question: Is it OK or not if there is an aisle in between (i.e., both pax take aisle seats "next" to each other)?
Definitely! I've gotten that seating arrangement many times for my family members (non-elite).
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
you guys are going to hate this, but I recently booked a trip on United through USairways.com. I am a GP and LH Sen, and my girlfriend travelling wiht me is nothing, she'll be a 2P by the end of september
Anyway I was able to book us on all our flights in E+, aisle and windows seats.
I then called United and asked for them if it was possible to block the middle seat, which they did without a problem...

Did I get really lucky?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.