Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA840 to LAX causes major emergency scare at SYD - forced to return to airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA840 to LAX causes major emergency scare at SYD - forced to return to airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, AA EXP, AS GOLD 75K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Avis PC, National ExEl
scarry.....
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by genuze
scarry.....
What three letters written on a barf bag can cause? Definitely.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 2P... just 2P.
Originally Posted by Spiff
What three letters written on a barf bag can cause? Definitely.
I'm curious as to what the least obvious evidence of a terrorist threat you think would be acceptable to cause an immediately diversion to nearest airport?

You obviously don't think this is.

I would imagine EVEN YOU would find it acceptable if, say a bomb exploded in the hold - and the plane is still flyable - small bomb

So where is YOUR line?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by rufus102
I'm curious as to what the least obvious evidence of a terrorist threat you think would be acceptable to cause an immediately diversion to nearest airport?
There are many examples of credible threats to aircraft.

Three letters on a sack with no other confirming indications is not such an example.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:07 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Because of Bush?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
How "BOB" also means Best On Board

By staff writers and wires

July 28, 2004

THERE was an urgent question on the lips of security agents in Sydney last night: Who's Bob?

"Bob" sparked the biggest aviation security scare in Australian peacetime history last night after someone found his name written on a sick bag on United Airlines Flight 840 from Sydney to Los Angeles.

Staff took the letters to mean Bomb On Board, and so the captain turned the aircraft back around and landed at Sydney.

But Bob could mean a lot of things in the aviation industry.

Flight Attendants' Association of Australia international division secretary Michael Mitjatov said the acronym was commonly understood among English speaking flight crews to mean Best On Board, referring to the most attractive male or female passenger.

"It could mean both things," MrMitjatov told ABC radio. "I certainly can understand that it could be taken as bomb on board as well."

"Best on Board" can also be used to refer to an alpha male-type passenger who would be suitable for helping flight crews out in case of an emergency. They are often seated near emergency exits.

With AP

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...%255E2,00.html

Geez, I ALWAYS sit at a UA emergency exit .. and if those grannies think I'd be ANY good in an emergency ...
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
What a ridiculous overreaction!

It seems the terrorists have won, you only have to say "Boo", I mean "BoB" and some people (in influential positions) run for cover.

Should the passengers have been told of the "threat"? - definitely NOT! If it was a credible threat you don't want to start a panic; and with this particular case you don't want to start a riot as passengers try to invade the cockpit to tell the Pilot what a goose he/she was.

Is there a "line"? Sure - but three letters on a barf bag ain't it!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any bolding is mine, and might go a tiny way to explaining the clear knee jerk over-reaction (IMHO) from Captain. Love to know who the big shots were. Clinton was just here, but obviously from yesterday's Convention footage he aint here any longer.

US diplomat caught in air alert

By staff writers and wires

July 28, 2004

A SENIOR US diplomat and a number of other VIPs were among the passengers on the Los Angeles-bound flight caught in a bomb scare after leaving Sydney last night, it has been revealed.

A simple but terrifying bomb threat scrawled on an aircraft sick bag triggered Australia's biggest peacetime air emergency when the pilot decided to return to Sydney and declare a full alert.

Sydney airport chief executive Max Moore-Wilton confirmed this morning a senior American diplomat was on board the plane and that special measures were taken to protect the individual.

The diplomat was not US ambassador to Australia Tom Schieffer, Mr Moore-Wilton said, but he would not identify the person.

"Appropriate measures were taken to protect any VIPs that were on the aircraft that might need special protection," he said.

Other flights were diverted to other cities across Australia as Sydney Airport was locked down, highways around it closed and the air space restricted.

The note, found aboard United Airlines flight 840, "implied that there might be a bomb on board", federal Transport Minister John Anderson said last night.

It emerged later the letters "BOB" were written on the paper bag, which was found in a seat pocket of the United Airlines 747.

The letters were interpreted as meaning "Bomb on Board."

The captain aborted the flight after the note was found near the toilet by a passenger and "handed in", Mr Anderson told Sydney radio 2GB.

The emergency came days after a supposed al-Qaeda affiliate in Europe had warned it would turn Australia into "pools of blood" if Canberra did not withdraw its troops from Iraq.

Last night, the pilot said he had made the decision to turn back to Sydney, saying he had followed United Airlines' policy and it had not been a matter for Australian authorities.

The First Response security team, including Australian Federal Police counter terrorism agents, searched the aircraft for several hours, bathed in large external floodlights brought on to the scene, but nothing was found and it was believed to be a hoax. All luggage was also put through security X-ray.

Passengers were taken by bus to a holding room in the terminal, questioned by airport authorities, had their bags screened and were given Krispy Kream donuts.

Anxious relatives and friends gathered in the arrivals hall, awaiting news.

Passenger Claude Puggioni, of Brisbane's Kangaroo Point, said aboard the plane passengers were kept informed over the public address system and by cabin crew.

"Just as we flew over Lord Howe Island, there was an announcement that a note had been found and we would be turning back for security," Mr Puggioni said.

"People were very calm, very calm. The pilot took us down very low for the hour or so it took to return. I think that was so that if there were any sort of explosion we wouldn't need the pressurised cabin. We could see the emergency lights as we taxied along the tarmac.

"They kept us on board for about 20 minutes and people were tense but calm.

"The sniffer dogs have been over us all," he said. Elaine Sander said she had rushed back to the airport to meet her 18-year-old American niece Alissa Hornyak, who had been returning home after a two-week holiday in Australia.

"Just as they were returning to Sydney they were dumping fuel and it was a fairly frightening situation for her," Ms Sander said.

etc
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...%255E2,00.html
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
The replacement flight left SYD 30 minutes ago. To help pay for the hoax, the pax will only recieve one meal and no IFE...not that it is a big loss, especially for Y class

Airline: United
Flight: 9793
Date: Wed, Jul 28
Aircraft type: Boeing 747-400
Miles earned: 7487

Time enroute: 13 hour, 45 minute
Meal: Lunch
Entertainment: --

Airport: Sydney (SYD)
Scheduled departure: 11:30 AM
Actual: 1:29 PM
Reason: Schedule change due to Late Arriving Aircraft
Terminal: pier c
Gate: 53

Airport: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Scheduled arrival: 8:15 AM
Estimated: 10:02 AM
Reason: Schedule change due to Late Arriving Aircraft
Terminal: Terminal 7
Gate: 74
Baggage claim: --
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trust me - all pax will receive breakfast before arriving in LAX.

IFE will be what was on board the day before.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
This might be slightly OT, but why did they send the a/c back to SYD? Given the utter chaos this caused for countless other airlines and their pax, i'd have thought that the inconvenience of UA having a 747 stuck at some military base or 2nd tier airport would have been minimal....
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The captain turned around in Australian air space the articles say - Lord Howe Island.

I guess his choices to land a 747 (other than in Brisbane) would have been Fiji .... and that was more flying away than SYD was. AKL - and ditto story there. As to US realted control areas you have only Guam or Saipan ... both a lot more flying than SYD, and Hawaii, which was 7 hours more.

As UA have no ground staff AFAIK in any of the above his choice was the only one basically.

Port Moresby *might* safely land a 747 - I am not sure, but the plane would likely have been stripped and vandalised by 11 am the next day even if it was possible.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
No, I was just wondering if somewhere like Newcastle or a nearby Aussie air force base could take a 747.

In my opinion, the argument about ground staff is a bit weak given they appeared to shut down the whole of SYD as a result.

Do the airlines who were affected by this have some sort of claim over UA, or is it just one of those things?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

Do the airlines who were affected by this have some sort of claim over UA, or is it just one of those things?
I believe all invoices and demands need to be mailed to "BOB", c/- Australia.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passengers were taken by bus to a holding room in the terminal, questioned by airport authorities, had their bags screened and were given Krispy Kream donuts.
You see there?

It was all worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.