Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Trial of priority gate checked bags for 1P+; begins 4/13 for COS-DEN & ASE-DEN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

From a gate agent today....

UA is beginning a "priority gate check" program on 4/13/11 between two sets of trial city pairs: COS-DEN and ASE-DEN.

Those who are Premier Exec or greater and who wish to gate check bags in COS or ASE when bound for DEN will be given orange "priority gate check tags" - the intent is that those gate checked items will be brought forward to the jetway/cart first.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I wonder if they'll be as useful as the standard "priority" tags...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
meaning of course they're more likely to show up last
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
AA introduced new yellow first class tags for gate check bags on RJs last fall with the launch of 2 class CR7s. IME on Eagle the yellow tagged bags always come out into the jetway first; hopefully this will hold true on UX and that they roll it out to the entire network.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This would be nice to see, especially at IAD or the ORD F gates ^

Originally Posted by cblaisd
From a gate agent today....

UA is beginning a "priority gate check" program on 4/13/11 between two sets of trial city pairs: COS-DEN and ASE-DEN.

Those who are Premier Exec or greater and who wish to gate check bags in COS or ASE when bound for DEN will be given orange "priority gate check tags" - the intent is that those gate checked items will be brought forward to the jetway/cart first.
I am flying COS-DEN next Sunday evening.. Do I have to ask the GA for the tag, or will I get one upon boarding?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I actually find that these work fairly well. Not always, but often enough to be useful.

This is a decent enhancement.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:58 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
This is a great idea.

The only trouble could be if the upline station fails to put the Gate Checks in the front bin (for a 700). When Gate Checks are in the back, it takes so long to get them to passengers.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I probably do COS-DEN 20x/year and since every aircraft is either a CR2 or CR7 it means gate checking a standard sized rollerboard pretty much everytime. They either go on the cart as you board (if using stairs) or are left at the jetway door.

In DEN, the baggage carts are loaded and delivered via the little elevator contraption all at the same time. I fail to see how priority tags will speed up this process.

Does this mean we will now get our bags ahead of everyone else via hand-delivery as we deplane? Won't that defeat the whole purpose of the cart elevators?

*OT: why can't people grasp the concept that crowding around the jetway door blocks everyone else from getting by? Can we call these people "gate check lice"?

Last edited by mrswirl; Apr 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
A quicker return of gate checked bags would be nice especially at airports that have the complete operation outside. I hate standing out in the weather at ICT and GTF waiting for my bag.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is it mean if we don't get the bags before non-elite, we will get a e-cert?

Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mrswirl
*OT: why can't people grasp the concept that crowding around the jetway door blocks everyone else from getting by? Can we call these people "gate check lice"?
+1

Originally Posted by trapshooter85
A quicker return of gate checked bags would be nice especially at airports that have the complete operation outside. I hate standing out in the weather at ICT and GTF waiting for my bag.
Or IAD when it is raining
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
better yet, if in some extreme event us elites have to gate-check a bag on a MAINLINE aircraft... perhaps priority tags will allow us to get the gate-checked bag BACK FROM UNDERBELLY, rather than being checked to final destination.

gate-checked bags have terrible success rate of making to final destination sometime, esp if its a far flung int'l destination. I just dont trust a gate-checked tagged to get my bag to far places safely and on time.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Perhaps the Priority Tag will keep the bag from being offloaded in case of weight issues on the RJ-200s.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by epiding
better yet, if in some extreme event us elites have to gate-check a bag on a MAINLINE aircraft... perhaps priority tags will allow us to get the gate-checked bag BACK FROM UNDERBELLY, rather than being checked to final destination.

gate-checked bags have terrible success rate of making to final destination sometime, esp if its a far flung int'l destination. I just dont trust a gate-checked tagged to get my bag to far places safely and on time.
That would be an operational nightmare to do that on mainline.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by neo_781
That would be an operational nightmare to do that on mainline.
Why? They make it happen with strollers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.