Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best RCC and Worst RCC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by redtop
Thanks for all the great feedback. This site is such a find!

I never would have known about the NRT RCC showers--they don't mention it on the ual.com NRT lounge description. I guess that's ual.com for you!

You may check NRT RCC floor map and some pictures.
http://www.unitedairlines.co.jp/jsp/...narita_map.jsp

Floor map and panoramic pictures are only on Japanese page.
http://www.unitedairlines.co.jp/jsp/...narita_map.jsp
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
ORD's RCC has become somewhat disappointing. I came Friday and Sunday, and in both days, there were no munchies - but there were empty plates. I guess they don't restock that frequently. SFO has decent selection of drinks from the machines, guava juice, orange juice, coffee, etc. I'd take SFO's non-alcoholic drinks over NRT - easily. SFO also had great view of the planes. Also, SFO would be quieter than the three (of course, depending on the time of the day). All had clean restrooms. NRT beats SFO in terms of quietness, and you can find a lot of quiet corners in NRT. NRT is the only one of the three that has showers.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by CApreppie
NRT lounge for sure. SFO International lounge is a close second. Forget the ORD lounges.
My vote too.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jet2K
How close to reaching status on UA would you be, anything close to 20K already flown on UA? Perhaps you might want to consider a mileage run to SIN before your trip to TPE?

If a mileage run is not an option, perhaps you can also consider trading the four RCC passes with ORD based 1Ks that have received a recent invitation for nominating 1Ps. Haven't seen too many of the 1P nominations offered up in Coupon Connection, but at least it is worth a shot.
Neat idea, but I have a long way to go, and no time for an MR before the trip. This is an award ticket, so I'm not earning anything. (Unfortunately, I didn't know about FT yet when I booked the award, or I would have gone for a *A award in SQ )

The wild world of the Coupon Connection... Now if only I could get Coupon-Connection enabled.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
An opposing view on which lounges to use:

Even though ORD seems to be considered the lesser of the three lounges, when you consider consider time boarding and deboarding, walking around the airport, etc. you would probably have about twice as much time in the ORD lounge as in SFO. I'm guessing that you will also have to deal with customs/immigration at NRT and SFO, further eroding your lounge time.

Then there is the possibililty of flight delays reducing connection times. So if you save them for NRT and SFO, you run the chance of not being able to use them at one or the other of these locations (or for a very short visit only), and having some left over at the end..

If it was me, I would use them at every lounge where I had enough time to make it worth while, until they run out. If you run out, and then end up with a longer than expected stay in SFO because of delays or such, you can always buy day passes.
Excellent point. I'll have to think about that one. They'd probably go to waste if I can't make use of them on this trip.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Diam
[QUOTE=SEA_Tigger]I was in the C17 RCC at ORD on Sunday (first time in an ORD RCC) and it was very nice. They have recently overhauled the furnishings and carpeting so it had that "new RCC look". They also put out a pretty darn good spread shortly after I arrived - Toblerones, vegetables, crackers, fruit, and camembert cheese.[QUOTE]

Sounds like the intl F lounge next door, or has the larger C lounge been overhauled in the last couple of weeks? Morning food for the C lounge for a long time had been limited to small bagels, pre-packaged donut sticks, basic fruit, and crackers.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
I dont't even know who anyone compare the ORD RCC with NRT or SFO. The staff at ORD (matrons) are the most unhelpful group of people in the whole UA system.Staff at both SFO clubs are on the other hand have some the best ground people working for UA.(experince and willing to go the extra mile)NRT is great club and quality of people working there is very good.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:30 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
NRT RCC has always been tops for me. And those showers!!!

I also enjoy the SFO RCC in the international (departing) terminal.

NRT is tops!

All/any of the ORD RCC's are just OK, but hardly worth using a cert for.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by cdsilva
Sounds like the intl F lounge next door, or has the larger C lounge been overhauled in the last couple of weeks? Morning food for the C lounge for a long time had been limited to small bagels, pre-packaged donut sticks, basic fruit, and crackers.
Nope -- nothing has been changed in the ORD RCC in the C concourse in the past few months, since the new furniture & deep cleaning from earlier this year.

Food spreads pretty much the same as they have been and typically include:
AM: bagels & cream cheese, fruit, yogurt, sometimes donut sticks/cakes
PM: fruit, chips, veggies & ranch dip/dressing, crackers & cheese, sometimes something sweet (Toblerone, Oreos, cookies or JellyBelly)
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
They had nada for food, but they do have free liquor.
...and WHAT ELSE matters?!?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
I'll be a contrarian here. Use a pass at ORD: it's your longest layover and although the RCCs aren't great (there are three of them), the terminals are worse. The showers at NRT are no big deal: there are excellent public showers for $5, and also ok restaurants and internet access. On the other hand, the RCC at NRT is large, and it's free. The RCC at SFO is one of the best domestic ones.

Overall, my recommendation for two visits would be ORD and NRT.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 1:36 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
At TPE, UA uses the very nice Singapore Airlines Silver Kris lounge; they have good hot dimsum in the morning prior to the UA flight, and I believe you can bring in guests and/or family as a 1P. Not as big as the UA RCCs in NRT/SFO/ORD, but probably nicer than any of them.
This is a nice lounge with a very good food selection. Make sure that you ask the UA GA for an invitation when you checkin and get your boarding pass (no Mr. Chicken at TPE yet).
Old Sep 3, 2005, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
[P]erhaps you can also consider trading the four RCC passes with ORD based 1Ks that have received a recent invitation for nominating 1Ps. Haven't seen too many of the 1P nominations offered up in Coupon Connection, but at least it is worth a shot.
How recent was that? Only ORD-based? At the beginning of the year, 1Ks were able to nominate a 2P, not a 1P.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by limo
There are three RCCs in ORD, one in C (largest) and two in B (one of them very small). None of them matches SFO or NRT.
Don't forget, there are actually four RCCs at ORD with the club in the F terminal for the express flights. But very much agreed, none of them match SFO or NRT.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Well, it's too bad the OP does not have additional passes to see all three. Indeed, NRT and SFO are nice, but I always enjoy the ORD RCC at C concourse due to the tall and wide windows overlooking the runway allowing a very 'intimate' look at some of United's widebody planes. I love it in particular when 2 747s are parked on the gates located on either side of the club.

Thus to the OP, make sure you check the sticky thread that attempts to provide possible RCC meetings with other Flyertalkers. Who knows some forumers will be at one of ORD's RCCs (if you decide not use your passes here) during your connection and I'm sure they'll be glad to help you in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.