Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I have two seats for same flight - can I use them both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have two seats for same flight - can I use them both?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
1 person, 2 seats, same flight, different cabin (Double booked S & XF ex LHR, e.g.)

A one way new config XF popped up last minute for the return portion of a flight so I grabbed it. Seemed like a good deal. I still have my return S reservation on the same flight.

Should I do anything or call and try and cancel the S res or just ignore it?

Flight is Y5/C1 so not like its oversold. I know this is a slightly ticklish question as I've used round trips as one ways in the past.

The $500 copay + 20K for a C upgrade that wasn't going to happen didn't seem good.

It was an old C config 777 on the way out and I declined the upgrade for 3 seats in the back! So did a few other people I talked to, so C didn't go out full.

I guess I'm paying the LHR departure tax twice but don't expect much sympathy for that.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Seems like there's a risk the computer would cancel one of the bookings since they look like duplicate bookings - especially since both probably contain your MP number.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
Seems like there's a risk the computer would cancel one of the bookings since they look like duplicate bookings - especially since both probably contain your MP number.
Agreed. You need to decide which ticket to use and cancel the other one before UAL makes the decision for you.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You should definitely cancel the S class ticket.

So you are aware that you'll get no EQM's for that XF flight, right? Sure it will be more comfortable, but don't those seductive EQM's do anything for you?

As for the departure tax, you should call and request a refund. There is no reason why UA should get to keep any of that kind of tax money for your ticket.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
YSo you are aware that you'll get no EQM's for that XF flight, right? Sure it will be more comfortable, but don't those seductive EQM's do anything for you?
Or you could argue that you of course need 2 seats: 1 for yourself and the other for the spirit of your long-dead pet/relative. Since you are paying for it, you ought to be able to keep both seats and earn eqms and rdms. And you can flip for whoever gets to ride in the F. Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Or you could argue that you of course need 2 seats: 1 for yourself and the other for the spirit of your long-dead pet/relative. Since you are paying for it, you ought to be able to keep both seats and earn eqms and rdms. And you can flip for whoever gets to ride in the F. Good luck!
If musicians can buy a seat for their instrument, why shouldn't UA let you keep the coach seat? Its worth a try - but I would call so nothing unexpected happens.

Last edited by Lightman7; Jan 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lightman7
If musicians can buy a seat for their insturment, ....
next to them, not in a separate cabin and the extra seat does not earn eqms
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lightman7
If musicians can buy a seat for their insturment, why shouldn't UA let you keep the coach seat? Its worth a try - but I would call so nothing unexpected happens.
I don't know the exact rules for UA; but I recall reading rules for some airlines (AA?) which requires ticketing in the same cabin with same family name and EXTRASEAT as first name. Both need to be booked in the same PNR. It makes sense as you want your instrument to be next to you, not far away in a separate cabin.

Ticket for TerryK earns mileage while ticket for ExtraseatK earns nothing.@:-)
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Can I really Check in for both ?

Hadn't even thought of just checking in for both! Obviously I did pay for both seats.

A woman on the parking shuttle on the way out had actually booked two seats for herself in coach on ym flight and didn't seem worried at all . She did complain that United told her they wouldn't give 2X the miles. Kindof assume they were on different PNRs as she was planning on refunding one if she got the upgrade.

Anyone have experience with this. Do the two seats really have to be same class of service?

Odd situation .. and I'm almost sure UA 1P would have no idea on the rule and just make one up!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
believe need to be adjacent seats & same PNR (therefore in same cabin) , see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nstrument.html
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Same Cabin Rule

I was a wuss and called them.

Bottom line .. they are pretty sure the computer would cancel one PNR left to do it automated.

Sounds like they do have a same cabin rule as others suggested. Did sound way too good to be true.

As expected, zero interest in the double departure tax payment. The CSR did look closely at how far forward I could reschedule the S fare but not worth it at $350 or so virtual face value and a $250 fee anyway!

What was interesting was, no whining at all about using an S one way. BA tried to refare one to Y years ago.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:35 pm

1 person, 2 seats, same flight, different cabin

I have a economy cabin ticket BKK/NRT/SFO/LAS (all UA metal) with an SWU applied, and the last 2 segments have cleared. Still in Y for the BKK/NRT segment.

The saver F 1-way award BKK/NRT is only 20000 miles.

I was thinking of getting the 1-way saver F award on the flight for which I'm waitlisted, as a backup in case my upgrade doesn't clear.

If the upgrade cleared, I could cancel the award, but if it didn't, I'd want to use both of my tickets on the BKK/NRT segment.

I know people can purchase 2 tickets on the same flight, but do they need to be in the same cabin and next to each other?

Would I be able to scan both tickets as I boarded the plane, and then sit in the F seat? Would I still get the RDMs/EQMs for the paid Y ticket, and avoid my NRT/SFO/LAS segments from being cancelled?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by ajc1970
I was thinking of getting the 1-way saver F award on the flight for which I'm waitlisted, as a backup in case my upgrade doesn't clear.
In all likelihood, the "robot" will kill one of your duplicate reservations. This software routine runs every 24 hours and, among other things, is specifically looking for this sort of circumstance. IIRC, it will be the most recent reservation made that will be killed (which seems strange, given that the most recent reservation made would seem to represent a person's most current wishes).

A couple of years ago I had a discounted award ticket (miles required were reduced by 10 or 15 thousand as part of promo) to OGG in place but then a potential business trip to Asia came up. The business trip wasn't a "for sure" thing but I wanted to get a reservation and upgrade requests in place ASAP just in case. Bought a full Y fare but it was killed within hours. No amount of pleading or calling back rectified the situation. I was told that the Robot "realized" I would be airborne on two separate flights simultaneously and therefore killed the most recent reservation automatically. That's a slightly different circumstance but I'd be willing to wager that essentially the same thing will happen if you try to double-book the same flight in the way you describe (no doubt there are manual overrides possible for large people wishing to purchase two seats, etc). And the risk there would be that the Robot kill your original reservation and you lose your cleared upgrades!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by ajc1970
...I know people can purchase 2 tickets on the same flight, but do they need to be in the same cabin and next to each other? ....
You can buy a second seat in the same cabin but not in the same name -- There is a special name used for this "EXTRASEAT YourLastName"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

Two tickets in the same name will be cancelled
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
but what if there are actually TWO different 'John Smith' on a certain flight?

Also, wouldnt entering the Mileage Plus number for one reservation but the other (and adding either at airport or getting retro credit later) circumvent the robot then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.