Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Unable to Upgrade With Miles on United's Website [Thread Closed Due to FT Error]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to Upgrade With Miles on United's Website [Thread Closed Due to FT Error]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Unable to Upgrade With Miles on United's Website

Am I doing something wrong. I apologize in advance because this seems so basic but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this on the new .bomb.

I have a booked flight. I am trying to use miles to upgrade. It only gives me options for using regional upgrades or SWUs. I want to use miles. Never had this problem using the old site. Is it me or is something screwed up?

Thanks.

Moderator's Note - There seems to be a problem with this thread; new posts are not appearing. I'll close this thread for now until it can be resolved.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would just call it in. It's not worth beating the dead horse.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would just call it in. It's not worth beating the dead horse.
Just called. No way to do it automated so needed to talk to agent. She wasn't able to do it either and then kept telling me to just use my regionals or go for the unlimited..I'm still on the phone and it looks like every time she enters it the system takes it out......unreal!!

I would hate to have to do this everytime. You would think it would be in United's interest to allow me to do it online too. Much more efficient and less costly for everyone.

update: she finally got it in...and still had time to hit me up for Hertz and Award Accellerator. This is the second time I've had this problem. Wonder if it is just me.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
You would think it would be in United's interest to allow me to do it online too.
Interest? Yes. Competency? I think we know the answer...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Interest? Yes. Competency? I think we know the answer...
Actually I believe we have the answer now. My previous agent thought it was a problem with that record. I got off the phone and checked another reservation I have later in the year for Phoenix. Same problem, wouldn't let me upgrade using miles. Called back and got a superstar (and really I mean this guy was a wiz with the backend of their systems). Told me to log out of .bomb while he worked his magic. Sure enough I logged back in and the option was presented to me!! Unreal I thought.

Here's the deal.. if you are an "elite member"...not sure what that means..maybe just 1k's it knows you are entitled to UDUs so it is preprogrammed NOT to allow you to select Miles. However as we all know, using CR-1s and Miles bump you higher up the upgrade queue...and when you really want an upgrade...I'm happy to use the miles.

Agent said he was going to escalate this issue internally.

Seems pretty astounding to me that I'm the first one to realize this.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:52 pm

Miles don't necessarily bump you "higher"--they bump you "earlier"--sometimes.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
Miles don't necessarily bump you "higher"--they bump you "earlier"--sometimes.
The agent seemed to think they bumped you higher. I would tend to think they would too since it's a liability off United's balance sheet. It was my understanding that a 1k using miles would get the seat before a 1k hoping for a UDU because it clears earlier so maybe we're saying the same thing.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
The agent seemed to think they bumped you higher. I would tend to think they would too since it's a liability off United's balance sheet. It was my understanding that a 1k using miles would get the seat before a 1k hoping for a UDU because it clears earlier so maybe we're saying the same thing.
actually do not believe there has been any evidence presented to support using a confirmable instrument helps inside your status window. There have been conflicting reports of agent statements. Thiis still a fuzzy area -- although some have reported confirmable returned when upgraded in the UDU window.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:25 pm

I tried upgrading using miles on .bomb and it keeps saying to choose my upgrade instrument. However, there is no choice when I click on drop down menu I know I can call, but was wondering if this is a one-time glitch or common problem.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
as mentioned before

If you are trying to U/G w/ miles as an elite, it will not show on .bomb as they are using UDU.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This is a common issue with .bomb

Sometimes it works, more often than not it doesn't. Give UA a call, they'll fix you up.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Happens all the time!

It's ridiculous. One clearly has an upgrade instrument available for the upgrade, yet it won't let you do it on the drop down menu.

Then, you call UA to have them do the upgrade. They say that if you do it for someone else, you have to go to the airport to sign for it. What a pain.

Then if you say that you cannot go sign for it, they transfer you to web support in India. Then the fun begins. First, the lag between you & India on the internet phone is horrific. Then neither one of you understands each other. And finally, the guys in India don't know how to do what you want.

All they have to do is find a computer guy who can fix this mess. It's soooo simple, yet they make it so hard. What a waste of resources for both United and its customers. Just hire someone who knows how to make sure that all options show up when you hit the drop-down menu!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Then, you call UA to have them do the upgrade. They say that if you do it for someone else, you have to go to the airport to sign for it.
Not any more. Now they "interrogate" you to ensure your identity.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
It's ridiculous. One clearly has an upgrade instrument available for the upgrade, yet it won't let you do it on the drop down menu.

Then, you call UA to have them do the upgrade. They say that if you do it for someone else, you have to go to the airport to sign for it. What a pain.

Then if you say that you cannot go sign for it, they transfer you to web support in India. Then the fun begins. First, the lag between you & India on the internet phone is horrific. Then neither one of you understands each other. And finally, the guys in India don't know how to do what you want.

All they have to do is find a computer guy who can fix this mess. It's soooo simple, yet they make it so hard. What a waste of resources for both United and its customers. Just hire someone who knows how to make sure that all options show up when you hit the drop-down menu!
Hopefully someone competent will apply!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ase-apply.html
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:41 pm

I have had no issues calling Web support to sponsor an upgrade. Nor do I have lag on the phone call.

Why in the world would you ever use miles for a domestic upgrade, seems like a real waste to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.