Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Sleeping Passenger Left On Plane For Hours At PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping Passenger Left On Plane For Hours At PHL

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 1:46 pm

Not the same thing but I was sleeping at an ORD RCC and got locked in when it closed.

Does anyone know which UAX carrier was involved?
Old May 26, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Not only sleep through the landing and deplaning of an RJ, but then sleep 4 more hours sitting up in an RJ seat? Sorry, not possible without help.
Again, who said she was sitting up???????

If you are alone in a B-C seat, in the back of an ERJ, this is entirely possible. Why so skeptical on this? Many times, I have been able to slump over in a B-C seat in an ERJ and enjoy a quick cat-nap. No help needed. Why do you think there needs to be help?
Old May 26, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Gotta be drugs involved. No way you sleep through a landing, and the jostling of passengers deplaning, without extra help.
Or kids @ home - I find I can sleep anywhere these days ;-)
Old May 26, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by PATRLR
I can go one better, I think. I once got on a LHR - FRA hop, fell asleep almost as soon as I sat down in my aisle seat, with no one sitting in the middle or window seats. I woke up after we were airborne and noticed passengers occupying the middle and window seats. Don't know how they did it, but they managed to get to their seats without waking me.
Reminds me of a friend who fell asleep en route to SYD on the UD 747, woke up to find the very large pacific islander gent beside him in plastic cuffs. Turns out there had been quite a scene over the Pacific which he had slept through!

(And yes, I suspect Ambien and Champagne were the drugs involved on this occasion (for Lurker's friend - not sure what the cuffed bloke was taking)

Lurker

PS: This bloke's nationality (or region) inserted here not with any derogatory racial intent but simply to give the impression of how physical the fight may have been - Think Somoan or Kiwi rugby prop forward!
Old May 26, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AADC10
Not the same thing but I was sleeping at an ORD RCC and got locked in when it closed.

Does anyone know which UAX carrier was involved?
Trans States Airlines is the only operator on the IAD-PHL v.v. route
Old May 26, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Chill, ladies. I was talking about sleeping pills, not "drugs".

And I'll stay with my answer. Not only sleep through the landing and deplaning of an RJ, but then sleep 4 more hours sitting up in an RJ seat? Sorry, not possible without help.
In your opinion. Or maybe for you it isn't.

It may not seem like a big deal to you Bob, but, some people try to live their lives without chemicals, and they take great pride in doing so. To those people, for you to imply otherwise is simply not right.

Especially when the basis for your implication is nothing more than your opinion, or worse a statement of fact that is just plain wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that I could sleep for hours on an RJ. Just as someone stated - in the back, propped against the window, all nice and quiet after everyone left. Yep - no problem.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Don't fall asleep heading to Philly

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37360330/ns/travel-news/

Must have been one smooth landing...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 27, 2010 at 8:37 am Reason: already existing thread
Old May 27, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: MVP
Girlfriend falls asleep on most all transportation items... trains, buses, cars and planes. Go on trips all the time, day time.. and boom out before we're on the runway to takeoff.. sleeps on the take off... and if she's awake for that, falls asleep in the air and stays asleep for the landing... very heavy sleeper who just finds these things comforting and passes out.... not always, not if she had to stay awake, but often enough that I could see it happening....
Old May 27, 2010, 9:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I totally believe the story.

Because it has happened to me (not the extra four hours though)

Years ago I must have been dead tired, I fell asleep on a regional from New York down to Washington. It would have been United, but not a clue if it was a prop plane or regional.

There was no drugs involved. There was no alcohol involved.

The flight attendent woke me up just as they were about to close the door to fly back to NY. Their count was one off, and they were checking to see if I should have been on that flight (actually I should have been on a connecting flight, which I made with seconds to spare).

The plane landed, I slept through it.

The FA never noticed me in the last seat of the plane.

The cleaning crew never noticed.

They didn't notice when they started boarding (it was a different FA then the one on the way down, not that it matters)

Had the plane not been going back out again I could have probably easily been there happy as can be for hours.

Because of that incident, I never, ever sleep on regionals or on the train to work anymore. I never would have believed it possible to sleep through a landing, deplaining (de-training or whatever) but apparently I could.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Chill, ladies. I was talking about sleeping pills, not "drugs".

And I'll stay with my answer. Not only sleep through the landing and deplaning of an RJ, but then sleep 4 more hours sitting up in an RJ seat? Sorry, not possible without help.
No need to get your panties in a bunch... I was talking about the fact you judged the situation based on your own view and no consideration of other possibilities.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Lawsuit Filed

http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...tarmac-slumber

A Ferndale woman is suing United Airlines after she fell asleep and was left alone locked in a jet on the tarmac for four hours.

Ginger McGuire, 36, is suing for false imprisonment, infliction of emotional distress and negligence, her attorney, Geoffrey Fieger said this morning.

The flight from Dulles International Airport in Washington arrived at Philadelphia International Airport shortly before 12:30 a.m., according to Fieger. A cleaning crew discovered a dozing McGuire, locked her back in and then brought in federal officers concerned about terrorists to question her.

“We are working closely with our partner Trans States Airlines to investigate the cause and remedy the situation with the customer,” United Airlines spokeswoman Sarah Massier said this morning.

Trans States Airlines could not be reached immediately for comment.
Since when do jets lock? Hope UA counter-sues for criminal trespass and gross stupidity.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:37 am

Well, two things:

1) Trans State's fault, so sue them, they're not United.

2) False imprisonment and Emotional distress? She was sleeping, so how was she imprisoned or having emotional distress?

3) Negligence, I can go for that, but refer to #1 again.

AD
Old May 27, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Well, two things:

2) False imprisonment and Emotional distress? She was sleeping, so how was she imprisoned or having emotional distress?

AD
I always respect your opinions here, but I couldn't disagree more. It's UA ticket stock, UA flight number, UA paint on the plane, and a UA dba, all due to UA outsourcing (which I'm sure you have strong feelings about for a variety of reasons). UA made this bed with the regionals, now they have to lay in it. Of course, UA can feel free to sue Trans States in turn for negligence or what not.

The passenger's recourse is most definitely with United. I'm not saying litigation is the right move, but this is between the passenger and United. Perhaps an aggressive lawyer would sue both Trans States and UA.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Because the papers are running her name and her friends and co-workers think she's an idiot?

Not saying a jury won't think so too, just like some of the previous posts.

This is most certainly a case of just get off the plane, and hope nobody ever finds out.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Well, two things:

AD
+1.

Don't people accept responsibility for their actions. I suppose if she fell asleep in the waiting lounge, she would claim it was the GA's responsibility to check the waiting area and wake her up in order to board the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.