Search

Mileage Plus and Copa air (One Pass)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, airfrance, delta, continental, AA
Smile copa and united credit

i just booked a business class ticket on copa and gave them my united number
to post the miles to. now united says copa is not a partner but i think i see they are part of the star alliance, which includes united i thought. i'm trying to figure out what's happening, or who i can put the miles with since i'm not interested in copa's plan. i seem to be getting different answers or spending my time on hold trying to get to the truth. i'm just starting to figure all this out, but this is baffling me. any ideas or input?
thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Copa does not seem to be a member yet.. just in talks to become one:

On 21 November 2008, Copa chief executive Pedro Heilbron on the ALTA airline leaders forum in Cancun, expressed that Copa Airlines has decided to leave Skyteam and is in exclusive talks with Star Alliance. According to Mr. Heilbron, Copa Airlines has not much choice since Continental Airlines left Skyteam for Star Alliance.[20]. In May 2009 Copa Airlines confirmed exiting SkyTeam on 24 October 2009[24]
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Copa's website:

As has been previously announced, Copa Airlines will exit the SkyTeam Alliance, following its last scheduled flight, on October 24th, 2009.

Our alliance partner, Continental Airlines, has also announced its plans to exit SkyTeam on October 24, 2009. In this manner, both Copa and Continental will concurrently exit SkyTeam on October 24th, 2009.

Copa Airlines is working closely with Continental and SkyTeam to ensure a smooth and seamless exit process.

The current, long-standing, alliance partnership between Copa Airlines and Continental Airlines will not be affected or diminished by the carriers’ joint exit from SkyTeam. All elements of the current Copa– Continental partnership will remain in place.

In addition to maintaining the Continental Alliance partnership, Copa will also maintain current bilateral alliance relationships with KLM and AeroMexico as well as with all other current alliance partners.

Copa Airlines Future Alliance Plans:

Copa Airlines has not made any announcements regarding its potential participation in Star Alliance.

Our alliance partner, Continental Airlines, recently confirmed its plan to join Star Alliance on October 27th, 2009. As part of Continental’s process, the OnePass Frequent Flier program used by Copa and AeroRepública passengers will begin to offer a new series of benefits. More on this below.

Continue Earning Miles with OnePass:

OnePass members do not need to make any changes to their OnePass accounts and will continue to utilize their program and miles as normal. Mileage balances will not be affected by the transition of OnePass to Star Alliance.

Through Oct. 24, 2009, OnePass members may continue to earn and redeem miles and make reward reservations on Copa, Continental, AeroRepública, SkyTeam partners and other OnePass partners.

Shortly after Oct. 24th, the OnePass Frequent Flyer Program will become linked to the frequent flier programs of Star Alliance. Thereafter, OnePass members will continue to earn and redeem miles and make reward reservations on Copa, Continental, AeroRepública – as well as earn base miles and Elite Qualification Miles/Points and be able to redeem miles on Star Alliance and other OnePass partners.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
There is a definitive answer.

You will not receive miles for Copa Airlines flights in the United Airlines Mileage Plus program, as Copa Airlines is not a Mileage Plus partner for mileage earning. If you have a OnePass account, you may use it to earn miles for your Copa flight, as well as for your flying on United.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
as a 1k am i eligible for double miles on continental flights operated by copa??

can you get miles on continental flights operated by copa?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 24, 2010 at 8:33 pm Reason: threads and posts consolidated
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:17 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Based on the thread, the answer is no and no, assuming you're referring to Mileage Plus. You can, however, credit your miles to OnePass.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: UA, LH, TAM
Question Mileage Plus and Copa air (One Pass)

Sorry if this issue has been discussed before. Couldn't find anything about it.
Anyway, as Copa airlines and Continental airlines share the same frequent flyer program (One Pass), I was wondering if I can earn miles on my Mileage Plus when flying with Copa airlines.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 7, 2010 at 8:12 am Reason: merged with existing thread
Old May 7, 2010, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by FREDVIP
Sorry if this issue has been discussed before. Couldn't find anything about it.
Anyway, as Copa airlines and Continental airlines share the same frequent flyer program (One Pass), I was wondering if I can earn miles on my Mileage Plus when flying with Copa airlines.
Same answer as before - it is not possible at this time.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Can put them in the OP program and they'll likely be merged into MP later. So the miles won't be a complete waste and will likely eventually help your MP balance.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
A Possible Change?

I called the 1K line last week as I am planning on flying Copa in November. After a lot of looking around on their end, they said that I can now earn miles on Copa. Can anyone here confirm or deny? I don't really care as it is for two short flights, but I don't want to leave possible miles on the table.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SfoDtwFlr
I called the 1K line last week as I am planning on flying Copa in November. After a lot of looking around on their end, they said that I can now earn miles on Copa. Can anyone here confirm or deny? I don't really care as it is for two short flights, but I don't want to leave possible miles on the table.
Interesting ! Were they speaking about both RDM and EQM?

PS Continental RDM and EQM - http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...spx?ItemId=320
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA MP on COPA?

I just flew IAD-PTY-BOG on Copa/AeroRepublica. The gate agent at IAD suggested to me that I could switch from using my CO# to my UA# as I would now be able to earn the miles on UA.

I will watch closely to see when/if they actually post to my UA account...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:06 am

Any agent that says United MP members earn EQM or RDM on Copa is misinformed.

Mileage Plus members do *not* earn any kind of miles on Copa. Full stop.

CheapDad98, I strongly suggest calling both MP and OnePass customer service to see if you can get the FF number switched from UA to OnePass (if you have it).

My suggestion for anyone flying Copa is to use or open a OnePass account, in the hope that these miles will somehow be counted when the two programs combine in 2011 or 2012.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:29 pm

i'm in the same boat. i "chatted" online with a united customer service agent so i now have in writing that I will in fact be earning UA EQM for my copa/continental code share flight in December.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by scaplan
i'm in the same boat. i "chatted" online with a united customer service agent so i now have in writing that I will in fact be earning UA EQM for my copa/continental code share flight in December.
If the flight is operated by CO, then yes. If operated by Copa, well then it's news to most of us.

Also, just because I can write "George Bush eats his own booger" doesn't make it true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.