Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone else seeing SSL error "xml.freecause.com", caused by mileage plus toolbar?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else seeing SSL error "xml.freecause.com", caused by mileage plus toolbar?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else having firefox on their computer nag them over and over about an expired certificate at "xml.freecause.com:443", accessed by the Mileage plus toolbar?

I think it's the toolbar.

Over and Over. Really annoying (and embarrassing for someone)...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:59 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem, but not from Mileage plus toolbar (don't use that toolbar).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Yup..

Trying to figure out which add-on has screwed this up. Because I don't have the toolbars installed on my primary firefox browser, only a sandboxed install.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:09 pm

Me too. Firefox is now unusable. Deleted it, reinstalled it, no go. Anyone else figure out a solution?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:18 pm

I disable my Yahoo toolbar and another one called zip2, then restarted Firefox, seems to be working ok.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:21 pm

Yes I have had same problem. First step to get Firefox working is to change the computer date on on your PC to an older date to be able to get into Firefox.

For me the culprit was the American Airlines extension I had on FireFox and I then disabled that extension. I went back and reset my date to the correct date and now everything works.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:23 pm

Just did a quick check, and my firewall logs lead me to believe that in my case, the AAdvantage shopping toolbar was causing this. I tested this by removing (not disabling) the AAdvantage add-on in the Firefox browser from a computer that had it installed, and the errors stopped. I believe freecause is associated with several rewards programs.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I wonder how many installs they will lose because of this

Yes, I found the uninstall didn't actually remove the toolbar from firefox properly. However, once it was manually worked, all better.

I'm sure if you wait a day or two, a renewed certificate will be installed. In either case, its' a major embarrassment for an IT employee somewhere...

I'm sure freecause is used by many affiliate programs.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Freecause's security certificate expired. Nothing to see here...just another inconvenience from an incompetent organization.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:59 pm

Angry Its Gamers Unite

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Freecause's security certificate expired. Nothing to see here...just another inconvenience from an incompetent organization.
This just came up on my wall:

If you're seeing this error on your FireFox browser, we apologize for it, we're seeing it too. We're looking to fix this asap.

It's related to the toolbar framework we use, and we are desperately trying to contact them to fix it.

Sorry for the great inconvenience caused.

Gamers Unite Snag Bar.
I dont even play any of the games it snags so im uninstalling that when its fixed. I thought it was a ff problem too.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Seeing it too. US toolbar tho
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Multiple airlines use the FreeCause toolbar...in my case a HawaiianMiles toolbar on a Mac. Really annoying and found the answer on the Mozilla website using my Safari browser.

For a Mac you have to manually change the time back (click on clock in upper right hand corner, disable auto clock set check box, and manually change time back a day or two. Then disable FreeCause rewards bar in Firebox by doing tools/add-ons/extensions/either click "disable" and then restart firefox or "remove" if you're really ticked off and want to zap it out of Firefox. I've done disable for now but may do remove in a day or two if they don't fix the certificate problem. Then go back into the clock, enable auto-clock set, and make sure the time zone is correct for your location.

This also raises the interesting question can you have multiple freecause toolbars in firefox and just activate the one you want? Would be an easy way to keep miles active in an airline you haven't flown in a while. Of course it's a moot point if Freecause loses so many customers from this debacle that they close shop...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:42 pm

Thank you gadgetken. I am a complete noob with any of this stuff. I juat add it and let it go. Ive actually uninstalled ff. Going to re-install and try to remove the add on.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:51 pm

i have this problem most of the night and its bin annoying the heck outa me so i looked all over the net using a different browser and found a few things that should have worked but they didnt so i started to crack up and started removing add-ons 1 by 1 and restarting firefox found out its was my gamersunite snag bar needless to say that wont be reinstalled and if i reinstall somethin else and it does it that will be gone to

i liked the idea about changing the time so u could do things while in firefox but i just used a different browser til i found somethin that worked i then opend firefox n clicked cancel til the box went away then removed the add-ons saved me screwin around with the dste and time and probably forgetting to sort it out
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I am seeing the same problem also with the sang bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.