Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:31 pm

What a shabby way to treat loyalty

Originally Posted by thetallone

As someone who is about to hit 1K for the first time, is there any advice you can give me in terms of trying to make the best of it?
Congratulations on your achievement. If is, however, unfortunate that you reached that milestone at a time when the United portion of the frequent flyer program is being somewhat demolished by the new management.

Originally Posted by thetallone

Or are most people jumping off the CO/UA bandwagon and asking SkyTeam to match their miles?

Not all the disgruntled passengers are leaving, but many are.

Delta has already agreed to match status of the United customers. We were in talks with American but because of the bankruptcy filed this week, the person we have been talking with is not available this week. The prospects of getting American to do what Delta is doing looks good. At least we were not told "no" (yet).

There have been too many negative and unfair changes to the frequent flyer program of United to make it worth while keeping loyalty with United any longer.

Delta or American may not be a better airline but they now have better frequent flyer programs than United.

Those who stuck by United for many years and expressed their loyalty to the airline might one day return. I do not know.

At the present time, with the new United management showing so much flagrant partiality to the Continental customers when combining the two programs, I believe that once people actually leave United, they won't be back except to catch an occasional flight. As they say, "The bloom is off the rose."
-
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: their are many of them
So how is this going to work if your EQMS are split up between the two programs

Onepass and Mileage plus... Cause i will have a higher status than reflected on each of the individual carrers abut will be higer on the combined carrier.

Do I just have to wait to till the accouts are totally merged?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
So how is this going to work if your EQMS are split up between the two programs

Onepass and Mileage plus... Cause i will have a higher status than reflected on each of the individual carrers abut will be higer on the combined carrier.

Do I just have to wait to till the accouts are totally merged?
link accounts and get status now (in a week or two) based on combined totals

www.united.com/combinemyactivity

this has been available since March http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

this has been available since March http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html
wine what if i already combined them and the new status would be higher then at present

I would now be a platinum on CO ?

but when I merged it matched the status to gold becaus that is what status level I was at with UA
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
wine what if i already combined them and the new status would be higher then at present

I would now be a platinum on CO ?

but when I merged it matched the status to gold becaus that is what status level I was at with UA
if your combine total is =>75K EQMs, then your CO status wil be Plat, if =>50K but <75K or your UA Status is 1P then CO status would be Gold
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:10 am

+1

You have the Gold ff math down very well! UA is trying to align their program with US but an easy comparision with the others shows UA inferior to everyone else.

For the silvers, the comparision is free bags - 2 on AA, 1 on UA. Here UA is even worse than US which also gives 2 to silvers. Silvers also get access to exit row on AA, but not on UA.

Originally Posted by SADDE6
Perhaps, but some of the grass is decidedly greener. Under the new United MP program, after 50,000 miles flown one receives a 50% mileage bonus.

Here's how United compares:
  • On American, one receives a 100% mileage bonus after 50,000 miles
  • On Delta, one receives a 100% mileage bonus after 50,000 miles
  • On Alaska, one earns a 50% bonus after just 25,000 miles and a 100% bonus after 50,000 miles flown on any combination of American, Delta, Alaska, Air France, KLM, or LAN.

In other words, for every 50,000 miles flown on United, future Premier Gold members will loose 25,000 miles--equivalent to one round-trip saver award ticket for travel anywhere in the continental US.

Bottom line: I think the primary marketing strategy for United's new MP program rests on the hope that its frequent flyers are really bad at math.
Hope the deal with AA comes through. I have a major trip just after the first of the year I will need to book soon for biz, and I have been planning to use that as my hop to AA and do a challenge. A status match would be much better.

My employer has a big employee conference coming up with most of us expats. Many now fly UA, and I would love to be able to spread the word about AA matches. We need to be proactive and not only move our own business but encourage as many others as possible to move as well, especially those outside the FT world who are not up on these issues.

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Congratulations on your achievement. If is, however, unfortunate that you reached that milestone at a time when the United portion of the frequent flyer program is being somewhat demolished by the new management.

Not all the disgruntled passengers are leaving, but many are.

Delta has already agreed to match status of the United customers. We were in talks with American but because of the bankruptcy filed this week, the person we have been talking with is not available this week. The prospects of getting American to do what Delta is doing looks good. At least we were not told "no" (yet).

There have been too many negative and unfair changes to the frequent flyer program of United to make it worth while keeping loyalty with United any longer.

Delta or American may not be a better airline but they now have better frequent flyer programs than United.

Those who stuck by United for many years and expressed their loyalty to the airline might one day return. I do not know.

At the present time, with the new United management showing so much flagrant partiality to the Continental customers when combining the two programs, I believe that once people actually leave United, they won't be back except to catch an occasional flight. As they say, "The bloom is off the rose."
-
CO elites making out like Bandits??? I DON'T THINK SO! This CO gold is looking at UA whacking our bonus mile earnings in half, 100% down to 50%. That is totally unacceptable. Heck, before CO started its process of alignment with UA, CO SILVERS got 50% bonus. So as a gold in the new UA, I would the same bonus that not very long ago CO silvers received. That sucks big time.

The merger that should have happened is NW and CO under NW management.

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
It did not work. And, he is not giving benefits to higher tiers. I am one of the higher tiers and have been demoted, big time.

Take a look at the million-mile thread. There you will read postings from countless customers who plan to abandon United if the discriminatory demotions are enacted as previously announced.

Don't be so sure. Delta has already agree to match the status of those of us who will change allegiance to them. If we can get American to do the same, there will be huge numbers leaving United.

Face it, no matter how you look at the changes, the original Continental frequent flyer members are making out like bandits at the expense of the United frequent flyer members. People don't like to be treated this way and they do not have to accept it. There are other airlines besides United.

People who are not happy with the changes could write to United's chief of Mileage Plus. Only the chief can decide to rescind the unfair demotions announced.

Writing to Customer Service if a waste of time because those people have no power to make any changes to the announced demotions of the combined program. If enough people write to the chief, maybe he will reconsider and change some of the demotions. His name is Jeffrey Foland and his e-mail is [email protected]

The trouble is, not enough people will take the time to write to this gentleman.
-

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Carolinian
The merger that should have happened is NW and CO under NW management.
Back in the days that was always my hope.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: American Platinum
Undoubtedly this has already been answered, but I have 51,500 elite-qualifying miles on Continental in 2011. Would this qualify me for sure for Gold Premier status for 2012? In other words, do Continental's elite qualifying miles count one-for-one as premier qualifying miles?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jethro123
Undoubtedly this has already been answered, but I have 51,500 elite-qualifying miles on Continental in 2011. Would this qualify me for sure for Gold Premier status for 2012? In other words, do Continental's elite qualifying miles count one-for-one as premier qualifying miles?

Thanks!
Yes, yes
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
My UA MP page shows I have about 1.2m lifetime on UNITED.

And a few 100K CO from my days flying them.

With the data merge end year do they simply add those 2 to give me 1.5M - or do class of service and fare class bonus add in too??

And Star partner flights do not count right?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps

With the data merge end year do they simply add those 2 to give me 1.5M - or do class of service and fare class bonus add in too??

They'll be adjusting EOY - you should get COS bonii going back to ~2004 I'm guessing (when the concept of EQM started), and *A flights added in going back to 1997 or whenever airlines you flew joined *A.

Don't forget DEQM and the like as well, that will get added to lifetime.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks UA-NYC - did a ton of paid Star partner flights over the past 15 years, so that will be very meaty.

In those DEQM years, the current MP figure does NOT show that? i.e. I probably flew 100,000 UA miles under DEQM - that will ADD 100K to the pot?

Glen

Final dumb question .. near all my flying is done on United "B" class.

Does 200,000 BIS of that count when they run the program as just 200K - or the 300K that I got miles for?

i.e. does only Biz and F count for the extra class of service miles?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 4, 2011 at 11:21 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Question

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

What will happen to my old old UA account if I don't combine?

I don't like this merger and how they decided on things.

All my history and flight miles cannot be lost if I don't link accounts?

I suppose something will be done on automatic mode if I don't get a CO account.

The new merged airline UA turned Continental but named United really isn't appealing.

Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:20 am
RNE

Originally Posted by CDG1
What will happen to my old old UA account if I don't combine?...I suppose something will be done on automatic mode if I don't get a CO account.
United will attempt to match your accounts without your help. For example. TSMRSRNE (who has done nothing about linking her accounts, because she's too busy spending all my money at Jared) recently received a postcard from United informing her that it had identified her MP and OP accounts and would proceed with linking them—unless she notified United that some mismatch had occurred. Thus, your help may not be needed. However, if United is unable to link without your help, it will proceed anyway and you may or may not get the credit you deserve. Being a Jeffersonian, I can certainly sympathize with fighting for principle, but practically speaking, how you hope to benefit from defiantly not linking your accounts escapes me.

RNE, suggesting, "Resistance if futile."
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps

this is what UA has stated
One-time recalibration and combination of lifetime balances.

Currently, MileagePlus and OnePass® track lifetime activity differently: MileagePlus counts only base EQM (actual flight miles on United and United Express), while OnePass counts both base EQM and bonus EQM (those earned on partner airlines, or through promotions or credit cards).

To bring everyone to the same starting point, on December 31, 2011, we will recalculate MileagePlus lifetime miles balances to include both base EQM and bonus EQM. This means the lifetime miles balance will either increase or remain the same.

Then, for all members who have both a MileagePlus and OnePass account, we'll combine the lifetime miles balances to arrive at a new MileagePlus lifetime miles balance, which will be carried forward into the 2012 program.

The OnePass and MileagePlus lifetime balances will continue to display separately until late in first quarter 2012.
Originally Posted by CDG1
What will happen to my old old UA account if I don't combine?

I don't like this merger and how they decided on things.

All my history and flight miles cannot be lost if I don't link accounts?

I suppose something will be done on automatic mode if I don't get a CO account.
Yes something will happen if they can figure it out (assuming names, addresses, ... sufficiently match) -- but why risk it that UA/CO will be able to match accounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.