Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "New CO/UA Boarding Process (Effective 8 June 2011)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "New CO/UA Boarding Process (Effective 8 June 2011)" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus

I just heard that UA will be going back to loading by zones on June 8th. I guess the great new/old boarding by rows experiement didn't work?

Moderator's Note - Here is the official announcement:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, Thank you for all of your feedback regarding our recent changes to the boarding process. Let there be no question - we are listening to you and our co-workers, and will continue to make changes to our business as a direct result. The new boarding process we recently rolled out will be one of those examples.

Here’s what we’re doing, starting next week…
  1. We’re reinstating zone boarding on the United side. Beginning Jun. 8, United will return to boarding by zones. Among other things, this should directly improve the experience for the folks who purchase Economy Plus by ensuring they aren’t in the last boarding group. In addition, we’ve found a way for our combined airline to support zone boarding, and expect to introduce zone boarding to Continental in the coming year.

2. We’re simplifying the announcements. Also on Jun. 8, we’ll be adjusting our announcements to be simpler, shorter, and create better separation throughout the Elite boarding process. While all premier customers will continue to use the carpeted lane, we intend to manage this better through these new announcements. Uniformed Military and Global Services members will be invited to board as part of the preliminary announcement. Then we will board First Class along with 1K and Platinum members, followed by Business Class (on three-cabin aircraft), followed by Premier Executive and Gold members, followed by Premier and Silver members.
Also in the coming months, we’ll be in the field testing some concepts aimed at further reducing congestion on the carpet during Elite boarding. We’re committed to making this process work, and we hear you loud and clear.

Thanks as always for your feedback.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Originally Posted by beltway
Maybe I'm too suspecting, but does this actually mean a return to WIndow-Middle-Aisle zones, or are we talking about a new set of zones that coincidentally also helps out E+ buy-ups?

If it's really a return to the old UA zones, then this totally rocks.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi beltway, it'll be a return to window-middle-aisle.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by jspector106
I just heard that UA will be going back to loading by zones on June 8th. I guess the great new/old boarding by rows experiement didn't work?
Seems unlikely, unless either a) CO was able to kludge SHARES into accepting zone-based boarding, or b) a station is going rogue and ignoring current policy.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Heard from who?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Heard from who?
+1

After my experiences with boarding this past week I would LOVE to believe this is true but...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Critic
Seems unlikely, unless either a) CO was able to kludge SHARES into accepting zone-based boarding, or b) a station is going rogue and ignoring current policy.
IIRC, the zones are no longer being printed on the BPs, so I don't know if a particular station could switch back to zone boarding..
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
Someone who works for UA

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Heard from who?
They got the email right next to me this morning. I put it out there so anyone else can confirm, but I believe it. I heard from the same source that they were doing away with it in May, so now it comes back. Pretty reliable in my book!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Say it's so

If this is true this is fantastic news. I have yet to have a smooth boarding under the new system.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:42 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Wow. ^

I wonder if the other changes will remain, e.g., possible commingling of 1P and 2P, military first, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Wow at least they aren't as stubborn as I feared!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Critic
Seems unlikely, unless either a) CO was able to kludge SHARES into accepting zone-based boarding

I doubt that SHARES is incapable of doing it, it most certainly can. CO just hasn't programmed it to do so, and the man-hours needed to program it was probably not a priority for them, given the resources required and other tasks at hand with the merger. Plus [inappropriate content removed by moderator] they didn't realize this would be a big deal, but after a few weeks of it, they probably took a big enough hit on ON TIME, that they decided to reverse course.

If this is true, it's good on multiple levels -- first, we all know that zones are more efficient, so hopefully that will be the standard going forward. Second, it's yet another blow to the notion that CO is better. Not only that, it's a public blow -- something that was implemented and subsequently reversed -- which was much needed, IMO. Now when things are reviewed internally, there will be a lot more skepticism on thinks coming out of the CO camp, which will be a good thing for FFers in the long run.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/ua-co-forums-prepare-merge-request-moderators-444.html
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Here's hoping ^ but until it happens/is announced, I have my boiler plate e-mail ready to go for my June flights
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I travel on June 9th. Hope it does go into effect June 8th

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:26 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
This is great, if true.

But more importantly: BRING BACK THE PILLOWS!!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Leaving on the 9th. Please let this news to be true.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Someone also posted it on the United facebook page earlier this morning (before OP started this thread) so I hope it is true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.