Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-US/US-HKG (mileage/SWU) Upgrade chances? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-US/US-HKG (mileage/SWU) Upgrade chances? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:17 am

Programs: UA MM *G; Lifetime United Club; CX Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's the first time I've ever heard that. SFO-HKG is usually considered the toughest international upgrade.
I can't say I agree to that as CX and SQ are also flying SFO-HKG so there are alternatives and those who pay full fare can choose.

vs

ORD-HKG UA only...
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
+1. My FIL just rerouted YYZ-ORD-HKG to YYZ-SFO-HKG this coming Sunday. ORD-HKG has been full in C for at least a couple weeks now, whereas SFO-HKG was Z9 and had 1/2 the seats on the map open...upgrade cleared a few days ago.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:57 am

Another data point: My SWUs for 5/29 and 6/5 (both Fridays) cleared a few weeks before departure for ORD-HKG-ORD. As 1K, for me it's a no-brainer to buy the upgradable fares at the outset to lock a place in the upgrade queue.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to already use all 8 of my SWUs for this year on long hauls. With DEQM, for the rest of the year I can shop purely on price and product.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:55 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Christmas flights, elite heavy or?

What are the chances for a Premier (*S) sponsored ORD-HKG SWU?

Does the fare class or the check in time mean anything?

Would it be better to do IAD or NRT flights?

(trying to SWU my parents into C for their Dec 18 xmas trip)
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:28 pm

I flew SFO-HKG in October after Golden week during shoulder season. The only open seats on the whole plane were in E-. The CSR at HKG said the flight has too many GS and 1Ks. There were 1Ks on the waitlists sitting in middle seats in E+.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
SFO or ORD

Hello, All!

I am looking to travle to SGN with my grandfather in March. I am in DEN he will be flying from MSY. I am 1K, he is general member. The only way he can do the outbound in one day is if he goes through ORD (otherwise he has to spend about 12 hours in SFO). I personally would rather fly through ORD anyway as I have never gone to Asia via the pole before.

Here is my question. Is there anyway to ensure that our upgrades (SWU) clear at the same time (at the 1K window) even though we will be on different PNRs since he is leaving from MSY and I from DEN?

Would I be best to reposition to MSY the day before (w/ miles or a DBC Free) so that I am on the same PNR as him? I would rather just meet him in ORD. I know PNRs cannot be "linked" (just noted), but if my upgrade clears, what are the chances of calling and having his clear with mine?

Also, it does not seem that any consensus has been reached as to which gateway is best for clearing, ORD or SFO. If SFO is markedly better I would be willing to insist on the SFO gateway and make him spend the night there with myself meeting him on the day of the international leg.

He's 6'2" and used to sit upper deck in the old barca loungers when he worked in SE Asia and I think it would be really nice for him to have the opportunity to fly on the same aircraft with the new iteration of United Biz.

Any suggestions/hints/anecdotes are appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Hello, All!

I am looking to travle to SGN with my grandfather in March. I am in DEN he will be flying from MSY. I am 1K, he is general member. The only way he can do the outbound in one day is if he goes through ORD (otherwise he has to spend about 12 hours in SFO). I personally would rather fly through ORD anyway as I have never gone to Asia via the pole before.

Here is my question. Is there anyway to ensure that our upgrades (SWU) clear at the same time (at the 1K window) even though we will be on different PNRs since he is leaving from MSY and I from DEN?

Would I be best to reposition to MSY the day before (w/ miles or a DBC Free) so that I am on the same PNR as him? I would rather just meet him in ORD. I know PNRs cannot be "linked" (just noted), but if my upgrade clears, what are the chances of calling and having his clear with mine?

Also, it does not seem that any consensus has been reached as to which gateway is best for clearing, ORD or SFO. If SFO is markedly better I would be willing to insist on the SFO gateway and make him spend the night there with myself meeting him on the day of the international leg.

He's 6'2" and used to sit upper deck in the old barca loungers when he worked in SE Asia and I think it would be really nice for him to have the opportunity to fly on the same aircraft with the new iteration of United Biz.

Either SFO or ORD to HKG is very, very difficult to upgrade.

I would never take a chance. It's just tooooooo long a flight to get stuck in UA's 747 economy cabin.

Unless it can be confirmed at booking, or if I am on a high fare such as B or Y, I won't buy the coach ticket and try to hit the upgrade lottery.

For non-status passengers, better forget about the upgrades if NC=0 now. The IM most likely won't release many upgrade inventory until date of travel, then the chances are slim for non-status people to be upgraded.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Hello, All!

Confirmation of upgrades using SWUs on your status would clear at the same time, if they clear. I would check how many seats are still available in C
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: 1K & Million mile flyer
SFO->HKG: what days of week are easiest to upgrade w/SWU?

I am going to book a cheap (but upgradable) coach fare from SFO->HKG in late April.

I can can depart on Sat, Sun or Mon.

I can return on Sat, Sun, Mon, or Tues.

What days will most increase my chances of upgrading to B class?

Should I consider going LAX->NRT instead? I would do that if the odds are significantly higher.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
On the outbound, it's hard to say which of those days would be best. The rule of thumb is to avoid business travelers who can pay for full-fare Business tickets. Unfortunately, for westbound flights that cross the international date line, any of those days could be bad. Have you tried looking at the seat maps to determine which flights are the least full? And have you called United (or used Expert mode in ual.com) to see if there's any upgrade award availability? There probably isn't, but it doesn't hurt to check.

On the return, Tuesday is likely to be the best day, mostly because midweek flights tend to not have as many paid Business seats sold.

LAX-NRT might be better. It looks like it's served by a 747 in late April, which will have the new Business seats. Again, please check the seat maps and upgrade availability.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
I would pay it

Originally Posted by Cristobal
I've got to fly HKG-SFO on 7/16 with no flexibility on the date. E+ is getting pretty full on the seat map, but since paid C is unfortunately not going to be happening, I'm trying to decide if its worth the extra $300 for an upgradeable H fare.

If .bomb is currently showing C9,D9,Z9 but NC0, any idea what are the chances of mileage upgrade happening at some point before the flight?

Thanks
~C
If it were me, I would pay it. Flying from Hong Kong is a VERY long flight. I've done it several times. It is often almost completely full in coach. Now I agree with the people that say getting an upgrade is risky, but I would rather pay the $300 and take the chance, rather than be assured that you will be seated in economy on a very crowded plane.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: United Premier Gold 1 MM
On Tuesday, Jan 26, I'm scheduled for ORD-HKG and I paid for an upgradeable fare W. However, two days before the flight and I'm still waitlisted! So I called and UA agent told me that the flight in C is booked full and the chances for an upgrade are slim unless someone cancels. All your predictions in this thread hold true!

On the bright side, the upgrade on my return flight has already confirmed.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:15 am

chances to use SWU from HKG to US

I've lurked a bit on this site and wanted to get the input of some folks who have had success using system wide upgrades between HKG and ORD/SFO

I'm planning an annual trip back to the states and would like to fly from HKG - ORD and then a few weeks later SFO-HKG. I have a GS sponsor of SWU and pretty flexible travel dates...so my question is what day(s) of the week (in general) will I have the most luck with getting an instant confirmation of the upgrade? And are there any days that are just constantly full (I would imagine Fridays & Sundays are probably the worst)?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:43 am

Programs: UA G
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-chances.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-guidance.html

Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
The upgrade will most likely go to the gate since these flights are usually full with paid pax and since you have no status it will hurt your chances.

SFO-HKG is easier that ORD-HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.