Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
U.S. domestic flights (including flights to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands): lap child is free, no ticket required. Can be arranged at check-in

For flights between the U.S., Canada and Mexico: ticket is required, and you pay only taxes.

International flights (including flights to Guam): ticket is required and charged a partial fare based on the destination.

Traditionally UA has used the 10% as appears below (IATA policy), some recent reports suggest UA is capping this at $250+taxes for award tickets, unclear if this applies to upgrades -- no clear posted policy

For non-domestic trips, lap-child is charged 10% price of an adult ticket for the cabin you are booked into.
If upgraded, then it is 10% of the upgraded cabin.
The price is determine at time of purchase of the lap-child ticket.

related threads: Lapchild fee not charged at booking

Traveling with lap child on international business class

archive: Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Lap child upgrade cost?

I'm looking to add a lap child to an international W class ticket that has cleared with a GPU. A supervisor on the rate desk at UA is quoting $1600 for the lap child based on 10% of a C ticket plus taxes. Does anybody know if the correct fare should be 10% of a W class ticket or should it be 10% of a C class and if so where I can find it in the UA verbage online?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rosesplus
I'm looking to add a lap child to an international W class ticket that has cleared with a GPU. A supervisor on the rate desk at UA is quoting $1600 for the lap child based on 10% of a C ticket plus taxes. Does anybody know if the correct fare should be 10% of a W class ticket or should it be 10% of a C class and if so where I can find it in the UA verbage online?
It is 10% of the cabin you are booked into at time of getting the lap child ticket. Upgraders should get the lap child ticket before upgrading -- appears UA doesn't go back and reprice the lap child ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is 10% of the cabin you are booked into at time of getting the lap child ticket. Upgraders should get the lap child ticket before upgrading -- appears UA doesn't go back and reprice the lap child ticket.
Not true, i was always charged 10% of C fare when my daughter was on my lap. One time the upgrade was cleared at booking, but the ticket won't print boarding pass, had to check in at the counter where the agent spent over 30 min figured out the cause was I didn't pay the extra, had to pay at the spot before getting the boarding pass.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
I don't think this is a simple question but someone here should know.

If I book 2 First class tickets in 2017 from YBG-SGN I am seeing some at 80K per person each way. For a lap child they will charge me 10% of an adult ticket. I priced out the tickets. The round trip the price is the same around $19500 so $1950 for the lap child.

If I buy a coach ticket for the lap child it would cost me about $1100.

So can I use points for 2 award tickets then buy the coach ticket for the lap child and just not use the coach seat?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:14 pm

you are right, you can do that, but i would ticket the award ticket in the infant's name (next to you or your spouse) and purchase the Y ticket for one of the adults. that way it counts toward your qualification (unless the infant is going for status too!). also no one will question the infant ticketed in a cabin with an adult. i did this before, just make sure the 2 seats you end up selecting in F have an additional oxygen mask for the infant.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
How do I make sure that the seats have an additional mask, are they certain seats on the plane or must i make a request.

thanks
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nimitz
How do I make sure that the seats have an additional mask, are they certain seats on the plane or must i make a request.

thanks
you'll have to call and ask (and do it independently of your reservation). i believe all long-haul aircraft with F and C have extra masks (IIRC the issue is with one-class RJs), but i am in no ways an expert on this, so call. you may also want to check if one of the seat sites (seat guru, seat expert, etc.) has that info. safe travels!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
what if i found a business award flight that did not include the infant 10% pricing, so 190k miles and $280 for taxes, will i have issues when i go to check in? the itin has 3 travelers, 2 adults and 1 infant in arms, i am about to purchase this, but will wait for any ideas first.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yuel
what if i found a business award flight that did not include the infant 10% pricing, so 190k miles and $280 for taxes, will i have issues when i go to check in? the itin has 3 travelers, 2 adults and 1 infant in arms, i am about to purchase this, but will wait for any ideas first.
They will make you pay for the lap-child. No exceptions.

Really recommend you not leave this for the airport. Read this thread for horror stories: Lapchild Fee Not Charged.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:13 pm

Adding Infant to Asiana F using UA Miles - please help

Hello,

I'm trying to book Asiana First class one way from JFK to Seoul using UA miles for myself and an infant (less than 2 yrs). UA wants to charge me 120k miles + $600 for the infant (I assume it's 10% of the fare for infant like their policy is).

I know that Asiana airlines, if you book with their own points, they only charge 10% miles of the adult award ticket. In this scenario I would assume it's around 10k miles for the infant.

So my question is, how do I go about to adding the infant without paying the $600 United wants to charge me? Should I just book for myself on UA miles, then try to add infant by calling Asiana? Have anyone ever done this before? What type of miles would they try to charge me, Asiana or United miles? Would this even work, considering the ticket is booked by UA and not Asiana?

Basically I want to add infant using miles rather than paying $600. I only have UA points and can get some Asiana miles by transferring from SPG, but the bulk of the miles I have are UA.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:17 pm

If you're taking a car seat check the angle of the seats in F, on UA metal the seats in F (not biz) are at such an angle where car seats can't be used... might be a moot point.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blizz123
Hello,

I'm trying to book Asiana First class one way from JFK to Seoul using UA miles for myself and an infant (less than 2 yrs). UA wants to charge me 120k miles + $600 for the infant (I assume it's 10% of the fare for infant like their policy is).

I know that Asiana airlines, if you book with their own points, they only charge 10% miles of the adult award ticket. In this scenario I would assume it's around 10k miles for the infant.

So my question is, how do I go about to adding the infant without paying the $600 United wants to charge me? Should I just book for myself on UA miles, then try to add infant by calling Asiana? Have anyone ever done this before? What type of miles would they try to charge me, Asiana or United miles? Would this even work, considering the ticket is booked by UA and not Asiana?

Basically I want to add infant using miles rather than paying $600. I only have UA points and can get some Asiana miles by transferring from SPG, but the bulk of the miles I have are UA.

Thank you so much for your help!
good luck with that.

If you are booking through UA, there isn't a way around this - different airlines have different policies on this - UA doesn't allow a percentage of miles to be used for infant tickets, as far as I know. OZ can't issue the ticket for the child, the ticket, if booked through UA is going to be on 016 stock and any changes prior to the day of travel need to be done with UA. In short, if you book through UA (or in Thai case, MileagePlus), UA policy is the one that is used, and that's cash.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Get some Asiana miles and book everything with them.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
There is no way around the full mileage award or 10% F fare for the infant ticket on UA. Otherwise, consider the options in economy.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blizz123
Basically I want to add infant using miles rather than paying $600.
I don't think you'll be successful in this endeavor. UA doesn't offer the option to pay for an infant-in-arms with points.
Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere
If you're taking a car seat check the angle of the seats in F, on UA metal the seats in F (not biz) are at such an angle where car seats can't be used... might be a moot point.
OP is booking infant-in-arms, not a separate seat. The car seat isn't an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.