Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singing the Praises of Captain Molly Flanagan [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singing the Praises of Captain Molly Flanagan [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AWESOME!^ I'm guessing this was Captain Molly Flanagan? Since she's "famous" around her it's ok to write out her name.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
AWESOME!^ I'm guessing this was Captain Molly Flanagan? Since she's "famous" around her it's ok to write out her name.
How'd you know! I was afraid to use her name but now the cat's out of the bag!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:00 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
yup ^ but i wanna know how come the 2 fams didn't get business cards-if you're gonna keep up the illusion... (but that's for another forum )
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
How'd you know! I was afraid to use her name but now the cat's out of the bag!
Her and Captain Denny Flanagan are some of UA's best! Trust me, we know the good ones!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:39 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
For those viewing the thread this morning [1/18], sorry, I fat-fingered the merging of a few threads discussing this captain and had to re-do some work. Guess I need a vacation.

Sorry about that,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:39 am

Captains Molly and Danny Flanagan... co-incidence, married, family?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Captains Molly and Danny Flanagan... co-incidence, married, family?
Not related, just two very customer-oriented pilots.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, CO Gold, Starwood Plat
I have flown on Capt.Molly Flanagan's flights twice (separated by several years!) and both times received her business card with a personalized note on the back. She must go through a lot of cards! United is lucky to have someone like her in the ranks.

I was SO impressed by her professionalism on my last flight that she captained (about a month or two ago). I was seated in F on the B757 ORD-LGA and a father was sitting in front of me, carrying his baby on his lap. The captain spent a lot of time talking to the passenger and told him not to use the seatbelt over the baby. She said that UA pilots are trained to apply autobrakes in the case of a rejected takeoff. And although she had never had to do so in her career, if it happened it would cause everyone to slam forward. If the baby were belted in with dad, she explained, the baby would get squished! I just really appreciated the fact that she spent so much time explaining that to someone who probably had no idea.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
So could this be the Famous Molly that Capt. my two flights last week?

If so I am kicking myself for not telling her I was a member of FT.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Smile

Old thread, but must resurrect.

Had Capt Molly Flanagan on SFO-ORD flight last week.

After boarding, she came through F introducing herself to all, then made a detailed PA standing in the aisle visible to all. She mentioned that Ch9 would be on and encouraged anyone interested to follow along. ^^

As departure time approached turned out we had a mechanical issue; she came out again to give detailed info on steps being taken and kept everyone informed and in good mood as mechanics were working on it. ^

After issue was resolved, she again made clear and friendly PAs, as we got underway. During the flight, an FA came through giving everyone in F a UA757 card from Capt Flanagan, personalized with our names, seats, and a quick note of thanks from her. ^^ First time I've received one in 628k lifetime miles on UA metal.

After flight she exited the cockpit, and thanked pax again. I mentioned to her how I appreciated the info, Ch9 and the personalized card. I said something about how my young son would get a kick out of it, at which point she quickly produced a '757 fact sheet' for kids from her bag to take along to my son. ^^

Fantastic. ^
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:37 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Wow! Outstanding! Wish there was a way to find out when certain pilots were flying...
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ssh
Wow! Outstanding! Wish there was a way to find out when certain pilots were flying...
If you received one of their business cards, what's to stop you from emailing and asking?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If you received one of their business cards, what's to stop you from emailing and asking?
The cards I've received are pretty generic, with a pic. of the plane on the front; there's never any sort of contact information, but it's a nice gesture when the pilots do them.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had gotten two business cards from Captain Flanagan over the past five years as well. It was a very nice touch.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We rode again with Captain Flanagan this morning SEA-DEN. No business cards this trip as I think she was occupied with an FAA inspector aboard, but she did take the time to welcome the F cabin in person, and of course Ch 9 was on all the way.

At the end of the flight I turned the tables and asked the FA to hand her the note of thanks I wrote on the back of one our non-business cards.

The two FAs in F were great - IMHO the pilot's attitude can permeate the entire plane.

Having met Captain Denny Flanagan the last year in ORD at the * Mega Do, we enjoyed seeing the "other" famous Flanagan again, related only by their positive attitudes toward the pax. ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.